Gary Fisher Tassajara XC Hardtail

• Frame: Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted and hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & BB
  • Wheels: Shimano M475 hubs, Bontrager Ranger disc rims, Bontrager XDX tires
  • Componentry: Shimano Deore front derailleur, Shimano SLX M662 Shadow rear derailleur, Shimano Deore shifters, Shimano FC-M442 crank, Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: RockShox Tora SL, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown

swingsultan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2011]
Strength:

Strong Frame

none...

So i bought this frame off my buddy for $150 cuz my 2011 hardrock frame was damn heavy. i transferred all of my upgrades onto this 2006 tass frame and it looks lovely. i can notice the genesis geometry, youre a little more stretched out and stability at slow speeds is affected( this is what I'VE noticed). but through and through this frame is strong, light. ive been off jumps that trail bike users would think twice about. through my transfer over to this older lighter frame i saved about one pound.

Similar Products Used: 2011 specialized hardrock
Lucas   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2011]
Strength:

Strong frame, Lock-out Fork, Fast riding bike on most trails.

Compact frame does not fit well on bike rack. Rear brake wears out.

It is a great bike for average bike riders. It is an amazing bike for the price. I would recommend this bike for most riders.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F900sx
alukass   Cross Country Rider [Jun 06, 2011]
Strength:

Handles well, good acceleration, climbs well, rolls well, good geometry.

fork and drivetrain don't work so well, it shifts slow, fork has slow rebound and it's not so responsive on small bumps.

The bike is good but relatively heavy. My 2009 17.5 inch model weights about 13.5 kg. The bike rides smoothly and very quickly. Tires are not grippy, but they are worn. Fork isn't responsive on small bumps, so it won't make any confidence on the trails. Shifting isn't good either. I tried to fix it, it took 2 hours, but without any positive conclusion. I guess the cassette is worn as well. If the bike would be new, it would fly like a bird. Very good choice for xc riders.

Similar Products Used: Focus fire edge.
ben   Weekend Warrior [Apr 14, 2011]
Strength:

strong, gary fisher, g2, hydraulic brakes, sram x5

handle grips, not full suspension

i recommend this to a friend looking for a hard-tail i don't know if you can find them new cause gf got sold over but it is a amazing bike

Similar Products Used: a few rocky mountains
Core Boy   Cross Country Rider [May 03, 2010]
Strength:

The frame seems to be alright.

Broke too many parts to even remember them all.
Within the first two weeks the rubber caps on the manitou fork came loose. The brake and rear derailleur cables frayed and had to be replaced.
Within the first 6 months: the seat broke. One of the chain rings on the rear cassette broke. The rear rim folded out where the wear indicator groove is.
The shop where I purchased it from gave me a hard time when I tried to claim any of that under warranty. The only thing they replaced free of charge was the rear rim, but then they did so with one that was not disc brake ready, so I had to spend extra to get the adapter.
Now just over 1.5 years of use, the front rim folded out along the wear indicator groove.
The rear derailleur hanger gets bent very easily.

The pedals that came on the bike were worthless.

This bike may be good for riding on pavement or a rail-trail, but certainly not on any mountain terrain.

I will never purchase a Gary Fischer bike again.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn, Trek
ttunes22   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2010]
Strength:

Takes a beating, is a minimalists dream.

it has what you need and nothing more.

V brakes

Great bike to buy used because it is so durable. I bought it for $400 a year old. I haven't done a thing to it but change the tubes and tires. There is a reason they use them for rentals.

Similar Products Used: none
B-52 Bomber   Weekend Warrior [Mar 07, 2010]
Strength:

I first wrote a review when I bought the bike several years ago, and now I am back to report on its 10 years of service. This bike was purchased in 2000 [the yellow, red and black colour scheme Genesis Geometry], and it has endured a lot of punishment since. Approx 20,000km later [all on trails], there is no sign of frame fatigue or paint cracking. All of the components except tyres -of course- are original, and with minimal maintenance still works like new. It is an excellent allround cross country bike, that is very stable in the rough, excellent in the uphill climbing, and will do exactly what you ask of it.

The Promax V-brakes is something that will eventually be replaced with disc brakes. When I first purchased the bike, I did have the option of discs but I chose to stick with V-brakes as I thought the discs would add significant weight to the bike. While the V-brakes have served me well, I will upgrade to discs because some of the rocky downhill stretches have been white knuckling experiences. While the Tass is not a downhill machine, the discs would give it more effortless stopping power for the extended long downhill stretches.

For the price, you get something way above an entry level machine, that means you need not upgrade the frame at all -at worst you might update a few components sometime in the future. I don't know about the current model, but my ten year old frame has shown no sign of fatigue, and the paint job has been first class. The frame is a classic hard tail design that will never date. I might report back at the 20 year mark.

Value rating? cost is about 7 cents per kilometre and falling.

Overall? Figure it out!

Similar Products Used: Wouldn't use anything else.
SR92   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2009]
Strength:

Genesis geometry with 100mm of travel makes it flexible in the right parts and stiff in the others. Shimano Deore XC componentry with Avid cantilever brakes make it light and easy for the rider. The components come ready to build up with disc brake ready hubs and easily built up steering. Paint job is very pretty on the 2007 (Chi Red/Black).

Bontrager AC-X tires wear poorly if it is ridden often on road or hard surfaces. The Bontrager seat that comes stock offers little support (I'm looking to switch to a WTB Pure V.

Overall a great choice for a serious starter mountain biker looking to get into a combination of environments. The Tassajara has a can-do attitude with the frame strength to handle some pretty good trails. I've ridden it on 20+ mile road trips and had fun on off road trails (6/10). I am very happy with its performance and look forward to many more years riding it. Great bike for the price.

Similar Products Used: '92 Jazz Voltage (by Trek. Test rode several high end bikes (GF Hi-Fi, Pivot Firebird, Trek Top Fuel) for comparison.
mandible   Cross Country Rider [Aug 07, 2009]
Strength:

Excellent Geometry (not G2); great on both climbs and descents, no problem with the frame durability, good parts for the price.

Consistent trail riding (3-4 times a week) will wear out parts in first couple years.

This is a great entry level trail bike for those just getting into mtb'n like i did 4 years ago. Once you get your skill level up and parts start to wear out, upgrade as necessary. Don't be afraid to install high end parts on this frame, i've spent about $2,500 on upgrades over the last 1 1/2 years since i started racing.

coppersmith99   Cross Country Rider [Feb 10, 2009]
Strength:

Long top tube and Genesis Geometry suits my 6'3" frame and riding style.

With less than 5 years of light road riding (I ride a hardtail with 1.5's instead of a road bike), having never crashed the bike once, both main tubes have completely cracked through the tubes and the welds where they meet the bottom bracket.

Don't believe the hype about the Gold Series Aluminum frameset, or those who proclaim how tough it is. I am 6'3", 190 lbs - hardly one of the bigger guys who is going to ride an XL frame - and not one, but two of Gary's frames have failed where the main tubes meet the bottom bracket. I am currently waiting for a response from Trek's warranty department. I will let you know how they treat a loyal rider when I hear from them.

Similar Products Used: Ironically enough, I purchased my first GF in 1999 - a Mt. Tam for $1500. I retired that frame and hung it on the wall when I bought the Tassajara described above that failed. When I went to build the Mt. Tam back up again to use while dealing with Trek's warranty department, I discovered that the weld between the front tube of the main triangle and the bottom bracket had cracked and failed about 2/3 of the way around.