Gary Fisher Piranha XC Hardtail

• Frame: Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted and hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & BB
  • Wheels: Shimano M495 hubs, Bontrager Ranger disc rims, Bontrager Jones XR tires
  • Componentry: SRAM X.5 front derailleur, SRAM X.5 rear derailleur, SRAM X.5 shifters, Shimano FC-M442 crank, Shimano M486 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: RockShox Tora SL, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown

ViperGuy   [Sep 17, 2012]
Strength:

Read my full review below. Great components for the buck. Provided years of use. Best brakes for the money. Decent fork and wheels.

Squeaky brakes, though doesn't affect performance. Slightly heavier than others.

I have owned and operated the green 2008 GF Piranha since I purchased it in May 08' for $740 new. As of this writing I have probably put over a thousand miles on this bike. The trails in my area have intermediate technicals with logs, moguls, and downed trees. Average trail ride is 10 miles.

This bike has been the best bang for my buck. The components have lasted five seasons and still perform great. In fact, I still have the original Bontrager tires! I only recently needed to get a tuneup, the SRAM X5 really has held up well with minor adjustments from time to time. The parts I have replaced were both done this year, an inner tube and a chain. I actually snapped the chain a couple years ago but was able to fix it and it went this long before snapping again. I'm a big, tall guy, 250lbs, so I changed the seat immediately. I do put more than average stress on bikes because of my weight and the only component other than the chain that may need replacing five seasons later is the crank bearing. It still works fine, just clicks a little. I don't know why other people are complaining about the tire, I have tried other people's bikes with supposedly better tires but I don't notice a difference. I get great grip and phenomenal wear. The Shimano brakes are incredible, I actually had to wax and polish the front rotor because it stopped too well and I have actually flipped over the handlebars! I have never had to change the brake fluid or the pads, it still stops as good as the day I bought it. The Tora 302 fork is actually better than the Dart series that was offered at the time on other bikes. To upgrade from this, I would have to spend $1500 or more before I'd get a noticeably better bike. I just tested out several sub $1600 bikes and I can't justify the upgrade other than saving a couple pounds of weight. To buy a bike with similar quality components today, you would have to spend over a grand. I may retire the bike after next year, but only to get a 29'er.

It's too bad Trek quit making this bike with all the great stuff it had for the price.

Chad   [Jul 18, 2012]
Strength:

Durable Frame, Nice Geometry, Great Brakes, Nice Grips, Decent Suspension

On the Heavier Side, Ugly Paint design (I had a 2006 though --and paint- who cares? Lol), Terrible Tires

I had a 2006 Piranha and loved it. It was my first MTB and held up very well on numerous agressive single-track and off-road runs. After one season of riding just about every other weekend (mostly about 10 miles/weekend on single-track) it required a tune-up (mainly brakes), but this can be expected. As others have reported, the tires weren't the best, but the brakes were excellent --until I needed the tune-up. Overall, I would highly recommend this bike to other riders.

Zach Hansen   [May 16, 2012]
Strength:

Price, brakes, drivetrain

Weight, wheels

The best part of this bike is the price it is hard to find a sram drivetrain and shimano brakes

Ape Doctor   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2011]
Strength:

Great value, very solid. Bought late 2005 (when the 2006 version first came out), and its survived everything. It's fairly light weight, and a similar spec bike now costs nearly double!

Tyres, utter rubbish. Very little grip, clogged up far too easily. Front mech could be better. The Manitou forks are pretty bad. I rode them into the ground over the six years, and finally gave way earlier this year. Replaced with some OnOne carbon's, and it feels smoother, more comfortable and a lot faster.

Very solid bike. The frame is decent, and plenty of chance to upgrade. I've upgraded tyres (a must!) cranks and front mech. The rest is holding solid. The fork isn't the best, but is survivable!

Similar Products Used: Various similar and better bikes
dramsay1996   Cross Country Rider [Apr 08, 2011]
Strength:

Awesome Geometry, Tough, Down Tube Blocks Mud, Handles Very Well

Heavy, White Set Gets dirty

This is an awesome bike, bought a 2009 for 699 and got everything I was looking for. Durable bike with a great fork and hydraulic brakes. Very good price for something with hydraulic brake. The G2 geometry is great for high-speed handling. It has a big cockpit and a short rear triangle which gives you better handling downhill while keeping the wheelbase fairly short. Also it is tough bike. Its taken quite a beating since I bought it about a month ago and everything works fine. The hydro formed down tube is extra wide, and blocks mud coming off the front wheel (not sure if trek intended this or not, but works!) The one downside is that the bike is quite heavy. I'm 15 years old and I can do a substantial bunny hop on it, but nothing huge. I'd rather have a heavy, durable bike than a light, delicate bike, so it works for me. I'd recommend this bike to anyone looking for a durable mountain bike at a good value.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Tarpon
kb100   Weekend Warrior [Feb 20, 2011]
Strength:

Frame,great looks,handling,stopping power.

pedals

AWSOME bike.I know more experienced riders could probably pick my bike apart with things they don't like but,this is my first mountain bike from a bike shop.When you go from a "retail giant's" bike to a quality bike from a bike shop the difference is amazing.I agree the pedals are not great but,that is the only complaint I have at this time.Lightweight,smooth,and a front fork that actually works !
I know the components aren't the best out there but ,if it ain't broke then why change it ?

Similar Products Used: nothing similar,all "box store"bikes up until this point.
Tree_Wrapper   Racer [Jul 11, 2010]
Strength:

Solid Frame and great stopping power

Aside from the brakes all components are trash, had entire rear components rip off of bike while riding to the trails.

Great frame for your buck, components need to be disguarded.

Similar Products Used: None
Rex4599   Weekend Warrior [Jun 20, 2010]
Strength:

The frame is strong I use the 2010 version for some dirt jumping
It's a great bike for what you pay for.

The seat is horrible it hurts my tail bone soooo much
the fork is a bit heavy

A very solid bike I recommend it!!!

gregarfish   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2010]
Strength:

Good durable components, good geometry

Tires are junk and the saddle hurts the more your break it in. Brakes might need some fiddling to get working properly.

I'm reviewing the 2008 model. Stock, this is a great lower end bike for the most part. The components are solid and reliable. My only complaints are the tires, saddle and brakes. The stock Jones XR tires are heavy, don't grip, and pinch flat like crazy if you run them below 35 PSI. The saddle is plain uncomfortable, and seems to get worse the more you ride it. The brakes work well, but might squeak and sometimes don't work that great. I don't know the specifics, but they're finicky. Overall though, this bike is a great bike, and I highly recommend picking one up.