Gary Fisher Mako XC Hardtail

• Frame: Fisher Silver Series 6061 T6 aluminum
  • Wheels: Formula FM31 hubs, Bontrager 550 rims, Bontrager LT3 tires
  • Componentry: Shimano FD-C050 front derailleur, Shimano RD-TX51 rear derailleur, Shimano ST-EF50L 7spd shifters, Shimano FC-M151 crank, Tektro 845AL linear pull brakes
  • Suspension: SR Suntour M-2025, 63mm travel

Marc Simmons   Weekend Warrior [Jan 09, 2012]
Strength:

Good price, looks, quality, design geometry.

Entry-level components.

Several folks have indicated they believe this bike doesn't rate as a true mountain bike. With all due respect, I beg to differ. After two years of extensive riding on trails in the Oregon woods, my bike is still in great condition. The few things that have broken or worn out are attributable to my negligence or normal wear-and-tear. I routinely take this bike on 20+ mile trips, and often on "black diamond" rated trails. I don't jump the bike, but I do ride it roughly and I weigh nearly 200lbs. Overall, I don't think you could expect better performance without spending a lot more money.

Similar Products Used: Bridgestone MB-5
Topher   Racer [Apr 04, 2011]
Strength:

1) Cheap
2) Cheap, oh I said that!
3) Reliable

1) Headset rake
2) Mass produced wheels
3) Hub strength

Look, for the money it's a good buy.

I used to ride hard back in the day. 200-300 mile weeks were the norm on my road bike. I'm 6'2 and 215 lbs. and did not want to sit on a 700cc tire until I got stronger. This has a 26 x 2" wheel that gives me good security on hard roads in California. I ride with guys younger (47) and I still work guys on $2,000 road bikes. The old saying is true, it's the engine and not the bike! I use this bike as my road bike! I will change a couple things like the headset and the cranks but not going to go out and dump $2-5k on a bike, yet! I have ridden this particular bike 996 miles in the last 4 months and climbed nearly 53,000 feet and never had a problem. I have top end speed this bike at 47 miles an hour and am still here to write this.

Since writing this, GF does not make this bike in this state, but I recommend Gary Fisher Bikes to all!

Similar Products Used: All
bapfreak   Weekend Warrior [Jul 23, 2009]
Strength:

Frame, Relative Quality, Economy, Shifters are decent, and derailleurs seem OK.

Crank and Pedals are terrible. Tubes are ultra-thin cheap pieces of junk that should be thrown out as soon as the bike is purchased ( As with most new bicycles ). The bike is kinda heavy.

The version of the bike I bought with a solid fork is no longer listed on the Gary Fisher website. I bought this bike because I needed transportation and didn't want a 2nd car payment. The crank on this bike is terrible and broke in a few months. The new crank is awesome, but it cost me $250, almost as much as the entire bike. This bike is a decent value, but considering the crank problem I can't recommend it. It would be better to save up more money and get a few models up. The internet says the bike is aluminum, but it feels heavy like steel to me. It could be a low grade aluminum, but it just seems to heavy to really be a high quality aluminum; maybe I'm just ignorant? If it weren't for the crank it would be an awesome value bike. Perhaps if this bike were rode on occasion the crank would survive. Maybe its my fault for riding this bike as if it were a street bike, but I don't think so.

Bottom line, unless you have an amazing deal just pass this one up.

Similar Products Used: Giant, etc
fisher4lifeSnj   Racer [Oct 02, 2008]
Strength:

nothing broke since i bought it

lol i back gary 100% on his frames

again nothing broke and im not easy on anything

dont buy a less expensive bike and expect it to perform like a 7 thousand bike

i ride almost everyday, alot of miles no check up(MY BAD) had some chain suck a couple times but thats because peddlin hard and shifting..bottom line, I BEAT THE CRAP OUTTA THIS BIKE AND IT HASNT STOPD YET

i give it a very good rating for what the bikes dudes said i can do . and what i get away with

Similar Products Used: nothing really i had a couple no name bikes i put together when i was younger
Stacy   Weekend Warrior [Apr 11, 2006]

Vibrations are felt on everything, and my arms were itching just from the vibrations. I was so uncomfortable I had to trade bikes with someone. It was too uncomfortable, and very disappointing to use.

DO NOT BUY! Paying a little more is worth a lot, this bike is just not worth the money. If you are only going on the pavement you might be ok with it. I always heard great things about Gary Fisher, but this bike was not great. Paying $100 more would be worth it.

Louis Wilner   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2007]
Strength:

light

entry level components

There were two bikes under $300 that stood out in my area, the Gary Fisher Mako, and the Giant Boulder. I wanted a hardtail to get back in shape after my heart attack, so I chose the Mako.
After the initial break in and adjustments the bike is still keeping up with me...100 miles a week.

I occasionally get some "chain suck"
Shifts are still smooth and accurate
some sound from the RIVETED CHAINRINGS
some sound from the headset on hard braking

good entry level

Similar Products Used: Trek Giant
Louis wilner   Weekend Warrior [Jul 11, 2007]
Strength:

light

componets & chain stay location

I did alot shopping in my area, and the 2 that stood out under 300 were the giant "boulder" and the Gary Fisher "Mako". I didnt want a bike w/shocks so I chose the Mako.

Standing up on climbs is a bit akward for me (before buying try all positions)

I have had some "Chain suck" the chinstay could be offset (I plan on pounding on it when I upgrade front chain rings)

the components perform like entry level, but still perform.

I was on a budget and needed to get in shape after my heart attack. I have put at least 300 miles on it and enjoy the bike. The very few problems I have had are expected and tolerated with an bike under 300. The store I got it from was helpful.

Similar Products Used: trek 830
Curt Smith   Weekend Warrior [Jul 08, 2007]
Strength:

Light frame, some decent components and the weak components are cheap to replace.Simple but dependable V-Brakes. This is a great bike for less than $300 bucks!

Low-end Shimano parts are delicate. The '07 was advertised with the 42/34/24 chainrings, mine has the 48/38/28. The stem was not welded properly. Headset is very cheap compared to previous years of this bike.

This is not a "Mountain" bike by today's standards but it is an "All-terrain" bike in every way. As far as rigid bikes go, this is the best value for a good quality bike. Park trails and city paths are perfect for it. Learn how to maintain the drive-train and the Tourney components will do just fine. I do suggest replacing the stock pedals and headset. This could also make a nice Single Speed (my plan).

Similar Products Used: Older Trek 800 series aluminum, Trek 3700 in rigid form.
Jason Lee   Weekend Warrior [Jun 06, 2007]
Strength:

Great Value, Light Weight, Sturdy

It's basic

Don't listen to these other reviews. Most of the people who post are those who complain. But I'm writing to let you know that for what you pay, you'll get something decent. I've looked at bikes under $300 and this was the best one. I had no problems with any of the parts, the bike has an aluminium frame and lacks shocks so its great for a light ride.

For a casual ride or for commuting to school or work it's great. Just don't expect a thousand dollar bike while paying a quarter of that.

Louis Wilner   Weekend Warrior [May 24, 2007]
Strength:

light light light!!!! and good looks! I get complements on it all the time. Im 5'8" and 230lbs and this bike is helping me get back to 185lbs

haven't had it in for the 30 day check up(next week) but this is what I'll tell them:

chain skipped a couple times, (chain suck)chain gets stuck between chain stay and largest chain ring when shifting gears (sometimes), noise from crank only on 2nd chain ring, dropping gear to (front 2nd to first) hangs sometimes. A bit on the noisy side.

the price is great!!!
still breaking it in, will see after the 30 day check up.
I wanted a hard tail...I can sure feel the road.

These are all things I can deal with for an entry level bike. I ride 3-5 times a week 2-10 miles a trip.

Similar Products Used: I had a trek 830 in my teens and it was a dream It didn't need any service except for a slightly bent rim(4yrs)...I sold it during a moment of broke stupidity and I am still kicking my self.