Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo XC Hardtail

• Frame: Platinum Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted and hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & BB
  • Wheels: Shimano M525 hubs, Bontrager SSR disc rims, Bontrager XDX tires
  • Componentry: SRAM X.7 front derailleur, SRAM X.9 rear derailleur, SRAM X.7 shifters, Shimano FC-M521 crank, Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: RockShox Recon SL, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown

flax   Cross Country Rider [Sep 06, 2011]
Strength:

Uphill never was so easy, even in difficult, technical tracks. You'll love uphills.

It's not a bike for racing in plain terrain (fatty), it also dislikes short turns and downhill.

Recommended for beginners.

Similar Products Used: Cube reaction pro
Shortbusandahelmit   Weekend Warrior [Jul 18, 2010]
Strength:

This bike is aggressive, and it can take a beating!!! I weigh 215lbs, I lift weights, and I use to free style and ride full suspension, but had to go back to the hardtail. This bike is beefy yet lightweight. The metal thumb shifters are a lot stronger than plastic, very nice. Avid Juicy... what can I say, SICK SICK SICK. I Love this bike!!!

It does not have a motor!?!?!

I got last years model, 2009, and save some $$$.
Gloss Root Beer Brown, badest bike in town!

Similar Products Used: Haro full suspension, Cannondale Hardtail
Wesleypipesyo   Weekend Warrior [Apr 20, 2010]
Strength:

Very light
Durable rims
Great base level components

The seat seems to be the biggest issue. It is very hard and It does not lock in place

This is my second year of MTN biking. I am not an expert by any means. Last year I bought a Trek 3700 just to see if I would like it. At 350 bucks, I thought it was pretty steep. The bike lasted me about a month before I started to break stuff. In 4 months I went through 4 rims, 2 rear derailers, and a couple other items.

I went to my LBS and talked to a buddy. He suggested a 2009 (The previous year's model) to help me save a few bucks. This bike is strong. After about a month of riding 3-4 times a week the bike works just as well as the first ride. I have a little issue with the rear gear set shift on me in the lower gears. But a tune up will help that. The seat is not great. But the bike is better than I could have hoped for.

I am not sure what I would be, a weekend warrior or XC or downhill or anything. I just like to ride.

Bottom line:

Worth every penny.

Similar Products Used: 2008 Trek 3700 (not really the same)
23samurai   Cross Country Rider [Mar 06, 2010]
Strength:

Everything is well designed on this great bike. Love the frame, love the X9 sram system. Much better than the shimano that i've used. shimano has given me nothing but heartache, uneven shifts, requires frequent tuneups..etc... Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes work perfectly for me. Love the relative lightweight frame

For the price, you really can't get more bike for your money. You can't Love it. You have to ride one of these to see what i'm talking about.

Similar Products Used: gt, trek, giant, cannondale
shredbetty   Cross Country Rider [Dec 15, 2009]
Strength:

Excellent geometry, stiff frame, responsive, stable, loves to climb and descend, rugged, reliable, easily upgradable, cool colour.

OEM components could be better (especially the front shocks and shifters). No longer available in chromoly, newer models are aluminum... don't like it, too stiff and dead/cold/unresponsive.

I've been riding this bike for 10 years. Got it on super after season discount from College Cyclery in Reno, and a colour discount (neon lime green, which frankly I think is totally cool... way more personality than navy blue and white). This big has gone through mountain, XC, and snow riding in NV, ID, MT, WY, WI, and now CA. Even taken it on a 1/2 century or two! It serves well as my all season commuter (I ride along the river trail through Sacramento and always take the off-road trail options for my 9.5mi commute). It doesn't shy away from climbing, actually makes it fun, actually. Descending is a dream. I know they changes the material and components over the years, but the gary fisher geometry cannot be beaten. If you can get your hands on an older one in good shape, it will be worth it.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, GT.
msr.daniel   Cross Country Rider [Nov 21, 2009]
Strength:

This bike is amazing! I am greatly impressed with the quality of the bike and components. I have never had a SRAM drive train setup before, but it is easy to get used to. The Avid Juicy 3's are also great. On top of that, the bike is pretty light; I believe it weights about 27 pounds. Really awesome.

If you are looking for a great higher end mountain bike, you can't go wrong with buying this one. This is my first Trek/Gary Fisher bike and definitely not the last!

Similar Products Used: None, this is my first higher end mountain bike
trail-rider   Cross Country Rider [Sep 29, 2009]
Strength:

Very solid bike for the price

Promax brakeset, a little heavy compared to a more current hardtail

I've ridden this bike fairly hard without any problems. The frame geometry is slightly dated but very comfortable. The paint-job looks great and the stock components are very decent. Mine weighs in at about 29lbs. with pedals in a 17.5". I would definitely recommend this bike to someone interested in riding at an intermediate level. If I had the $$ I'd definitely look at getting another (more recent) HKEK.

Similar Products Used: Diamondback Topanga Comp
Don2000g   Cross Country Rider [Mar 28, 2009]
Strength:

I've owned this bike for about 9 months and I have been absolutely pleased with this bike. The first thing that attracted me to the bike was the cool blue color that was somewhat in between a matte and glossy look. The HKEK is pretty lightweight and allows me to corner very well, ride fast and still gives me that feeling that I'm always in control. This bike is just fast and I can't think of a better bike in this price range. Its tough, I've put some hard abuse on it and its holding up very well with no service issues at all.

The juicy 3s require some time to fully bunction at its best. I ended up just upgrading to some juicy 5s that I found on sale for $90 and this has been a winning formula for me.

Best bike for the money. It takes whatever you throw at it. Lightweigh, tough, and FAST......

Similar Products Used: Various Specialized, Trek, GT, Ralleigh, Fuji and other Gary Fisher bikes that range in price from $500 to $1200. The Hoo Koo E. Koo is easily my favorite.
LandonXC   Cross Country Rider [Oct 03, 2008]
Strength:

Very stable, Climbs well.

SPD 505 pedals, Loud Juicy Threes (fixed with Hayes rotors), Jones tires wore out very quick.

I love this bike. The loud brakes were an issue but it seems like the Hayes rotors fixed that problem. I love the SRAM components. I couldn't find an XL frame anywhere (not even the Trek store) and I was told multiple time I would have to wait for a 2009 but Bob at Biscari Brothers tracked one down in California and I had it within a week.

MtbikingRob in Nebraska   Cross Country Rider [Sep 30, 2008]
Strength:

Light weight, decent components, LX shifter work better then some XT's I have used, Juicy Hydro brakes stop on a dime

Bontrager grips are worthless, saddle is hard and heavy

This is the fourth bike I have now added to my "collection" and I have to say had I not just purchased an 08 Kona Kula for racing this would be my new race bike. It corners like it is on rails, climbs like a mountain goat and flies on the downhills. Components are good for entry level to intermediate racing, the LX shifters were surprisingly smooth shifting with none of the Ghosting I often get with even the Shimano XT drive trains (would still switch to SRAM). The biggest surprise came from the new Jones tires on this bike, they are vastly superior to the Jones tires of even two years ago (not even worth the rubber used to make them)the new Jones had a front and rear specific tire and performed better then expected in both loose sand/dirt and climbing something that was always and adventure with the old Jones. All in all if you can find one of these sitting around in your local bike shop that is last years model you can get a hell of a bike for a steal.