Gary Fisher Advance Disc XC Hardtail

Gary Fisher Advance Disc XC Hardtail

• Frame: Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted and hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & BB
  • Wheels: Alloy DC20, Shimano M475 hubs, Bontrager 550 rims, Bontrager LT3 tires
  • Componentry: Shimano FD-C050 front derailleur, Shimano Alivio rear derailleur, Shimano ST-EF50 8spd shifters, Shimano FC-M151 crank, Promax TKB-320 mechanical disc brakes
  • Suspension: SR SF10-XCT-V2 100, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown

[Sep 04, 2012]
Stumpy12

Strength:

Looks: That is the best quality I think. Beginner Bike: It is a good beginner bike or casual rider bike for someone who will not use it a whole lot. Weight: It is heavy.

Components: If not used as a casual rider, the components will be lacking and do not hold up. I used mine for a year and a half and had to upgrade/fix quite a bit. I did get into XC racing and rode mine a lot and aggressively.

Overall I think this is a great beginner bike or kids bike for a casual rider. In that setting I think the components are adequate. I does look great and for a young rider should last quite some time. For someone who thinks they are going to be a serious rider like I ended up being, this is not the bike for you. It would much better to spend twice as much to get something that will hold up and perform better.

Would I recommend this bike? Yes and no, As stated above, I would recommend in to a beginner/youth casual rider.

Trek 4300

OVERALL
[Jun 11, 2010]
Chris676

Strength:

Great looking frame; Decent value; Comfy saddle

Low-end drive-train components, such as Tourney crankset.

This bike looks good, true of all the current GF line. The build kit on this bike is pretty basic stuff. It's probably great for general use as a short commuter/weekend bikepath bike. I've only put 10 miles or so on it. I'm a "re-beginner" so I didn't want to (yes I did) spend 1000+ on a hardtail xc bike. I did pick up a set of Deore Hollowtech II cranks with external BB and Deore FD for $50 from Jenson that I haven't installed yet. The stockers are Tourney or below, blah. The brakes are Promax mech. discs which are my first set of discs. At this point they're not broken in and I haven't ridden them much but they seem sufficient for my needs. I intend to put some Rock Shox Tora forks eventually and perhaps upgrade the brakes/wheels but maybe not.

Kona Kilauea, Schwinn Moab 3, etc...

OVERALL