Forge Bikes Sawback 5xx XC Hardtail

Forge Bikes Sawback 5xx XC Hardtail

The Forge Sawback 5xx Hard-Tail Mountain Bike has brand name components awesome on dirt trails and singletracks, this bike has been recognized by mountain bikers country wide as a bike offering exceptional value. Shimano Deore drivetrain with a Truvativ ISO flow crankset, Rockshox Dart 1, dual Avid BB-5 mechanical disc brakes, and a lightweight aluminum double-butted frame provide superb stability, control, power and responsiveness. Sawback 5xx uses well-recognized WTB products such as: WTB Alloy Rims, Pure V Saddle, and Grips. Responsive, tough, dependable: Forge Sawback 5xx. Ride hard, ride fast.

[Jan 12, 2016]
Gene Bevil

Strength:

Features/ Price

Heavy

Best kept secret...This is the best value I found...and I looked hard. If you want a $1000 bicycle, then buy one. If you a want a very good $500 bicycle, but this one. It's just that simple.

Old street bikes

[Feb 03, 2013]
Joey w

Strength:

The bike has all of the name brand components such as shimano gear shifters and its ninja tires. I love this bike! Well worth the $

A little bit hard to increase gears

Well worth $600

[Jun 14, 2011]
brian321

Strength:

name brand componets

heavy, worthless pedals

Overall a great beginners bike. Does well on most types of trails, but on rough trails it tends to change gears quite often making it a pain to make it up steep climbs. After riding my brothers ss 29er i decided to convert mine to a single speed (best decision ever) which costed me about $200 but the end result is a custom bike that fits my needs perfectly and still is quite cheaper than a comparable bike.

[Apr 02, 2011]
rlouder

Strength:

Good all around components on a good frame. Nothing else comes close for the price.

The tires on the original model were really heavy. Some people might not prefer to learn how to adjust everything on their own.

Great first bike. Although I have a fs bike now, I still prefer the forge for riding smoother trails and fire roads. It's a keeper.

Moved on to a fs bike.

[Mar 19, 2011]
jb00gie

Strength:

Affordable, great entry-level bike, disk breaks, decent mid level components

heavy for a hard tail, tax and shipping suck

a great bike if you're just getting into the sport. great on the trails and a fun commuter. I don't think paying tax and shipping is worth it. If you can, buy this with free shipping or use the target card that gives you a discount with it's first purchase.

[Mar 05, 2011]
Seaford6

Strength:

Best bike under $600. Good components considering the cost.

Front Shock
Headset

I have ridden over 30 miles on various surfaces and I have only had to adjust the brakes. I did a ridiculous amount of research before buying this bike. For the money it can't be touched. Basically worked out of the box. Size wise I purchased the 19" and I am just under 5'9". It is a good fit. I will probably switch to a different seat soon. Only complaint so far is that I have had to repeatedly tighten the headset.

Trek 850 (20 years old)

[Mar 02, 2011]
Lando76

Strength:

This bike is worth every penny. I cannot find a bike with a comparable setup under $800 to 900. Very light weight. Bike was setup almost perfect out of the box.

The handle bars are a set height. Other than that I cant find anything Im dissapointed with.

I looked at the LBS stores around my area and I might have plunked down the cash on their fancy paintjobs if I didn't know about this sleeper but I couldnt justify it. Never been a fan of buying the name only.

[Feb 10, 2011]
jrockmetalhead

Strength:

Im new to this sport, but seems to be a very solid bike. Frame looks like it could take a beating, shifts great, brakes when you need it.

Nothing major, a little heavy but at this price point that is a trade off. Front suspension seems a little bouncy but hard for me to say since ive never used a front suspension bike before, and haven't adjusted it.

Biggest advantage is the price point, I did quite a bit of research since im new to the MTB seen and didnt know a whole lot. Overall with the name brand componets and disc brakes, its a great buy.

haven't rode in a while but used to ride bmx style bikes

[Nov 21, 2010]
Forgerider

Strength:

Good Components, Strong Frame, Great Value!

I have been riding this 25+ miles a week, cross country, started out at 260+ pounds. The bike has held up great!

[Nov 03, 2010]
RichStandish

Strength:

Very Competitive price, Disk brakes, Brand Name Components, Lighter than Others, Good Geometry, Rock Shox, Looks Cool, Easy Assembly, Good "Out of the Box Performance" for the price, Seems Strong

Derailer may need adjustment, Seat is a little 'chinsy', Brakes may need adjustment, Not a well known brand, Purchased only thru target.com, Fork is a little 'pogo-ish', Bars are a little narrow

Go for it! I must admit that I did an embarassing amount of research before buying this dang $400.00 bike. I considered various GT's, Diamondback's, Specialized's and few other bikes recommended by the LBS's within a $600.00 budget and finally decided on the Forge Sawback 5xx. You will be very hard pressed to find a bad review for this "on the down low" bike offered only thru target.com. Bizzare, I know, but simply put...a great value!!! The bike shipped on what seemed to be the same day I ordered it and arrived quickly. Assembly was trouble-free and took about 20-30 minutes. I googled "Target Promo Codes" and found a 10% off code that went through, so I Paid $401.00 out the door. Another thumbs-up in my eyes. (I would say 5 stars, but the derailer has been a little finicky and the shock is kinda soft.) Good luck to all!

Specialized Hard Rock, Diamondback Topanga, Diamondback Response