Diamondback Response XC Hardtail

Diamondback Response XC Hardtail

The Response is a solid, reliable all-around mountain bike designed for lightTrail riding or dirt jumping. The Hardtail frame ensures efficiency, whileThe suspension fork provides comfort onThose roughTrails or hard landings. The Response is great wayTo get into suspension mountain biking and also makes a good city commuter. Frame: Response 6061-T6 Aluminum, FormedTopTube, Formed DownTube, machined headtube, with disc mounts, forged drop outs w/replaceable hanger Fork: SR Suntour XCT 100mmTrav

[Aug 20, 2013]
DK723

Strength:

Price, Look, Durability

Pedals, Crankset, Brakes

Bought this bike a few months ago and I really am liking it quite a bit. I have upgraded most of the parts (especially the Tektro brakes, the Suntour cranks and the plastic pedals) But the bottom line is, if you are looking for a bike that is rugged and wont break the bank you cannot really go wrong. And if you want to upgrade the bike, it does not take much to make this a serious hardtail (The frame is really the best aspect of the bike)

[Jan 26, 2013]
Indy1380

Strength:

- Sturdy frame, no issues
- Feels big, with wide handlebars.

- chain, rear gears

I am by no means an expert but I believe this is a good bike, I had one for 6 months before it was stolen. Decided to buy another. While it has it's weaknesses they can be overcome easily enough.

Being 6ft 3 I found this bike very comfortable to ride and used it often for commuting (with slicks). I would often find myself walking into uni covered in mud because I was unable to resist a trail on the way in.

The rear gears began to ghost-shift after a while and it took forever for me to realise the rear hub had worn. The chain went once too but I am under the impression this is meant to be a disposable part anyway.

[Oct 28, 2012]
Steve
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Strong frame, nice forks, good wheels and tires, good brakes.

Plastic petals, f. derailleur.

Great starter bike. My friend has a Voodoo and I'm always right on his tail. I had to completely remove and reinstall the f. derailleur because it was setup wrong. I also installed a thudbuster and riding really rooty trails is no problem.

[Oct 12, 2012]
Tulok

Strength:

I have a 2011 Response Sport.
Great frame
Good tires
good chain

Heavy fork
cruddy square taper BB
brake discs are cheap and warp easily
hard grips and seat
Heavy Cranks
Heavy pedals
Heavy fork

I bought this bike for a killer deal on black friday, only $299 out the door (550 retail)!

If your new to MTB, its a great climber the frame is stiff and certainly a bargain here. If you love hardtails like me, you might be surprised by the bikes potential right out of the box. Its slack geometry means the front end is light, and it pushes in turns unless you do something to get the weight forward.

The cranks bent on the spindle pretty much immediately, the fork seal leaked out disgusting black grease and grew more and more sticky with every ride, the brakes never seemed to bed in, and the rear cassette never seemed to shift fast enough.

After getting the fork warrantied, the front pads had been ruined by grease, but I could tell after the long hard break in the bike was really coming into its own...
I cleaned the cables, readjusted the derailers, did a sandpaper and cook job on the brake pads and the bike seemed to be getting better.
and here is the most important thing:
I disassembled the fork (just remove the 2 bottom nuts, it doesnt fly apart), wiped out every spec of cruddy black grease, used 000 steel wool on the fork tubes with PB blaster. then I slid the fork lowers on halfway and added 1.5 tbsp of lightweight oil to each fork leg and sealed it back up with a little threadlocker.
The reduced stiction allowed me (165lbs) to back off the preload totally and get the sag correct, the stiction was all but elimanted! no more black greez on the fork tubes, no more chattering over little rocks and ruts. the bikes handling truly came to life as it soaked up the trail like never before.

Overall, Adjust the bars forward quite a bit, do the fork oil switch, tighten the Cranks before you ride it the first few times, and get tires suited to your terrain and the bike will not let you down. I've since soared over 40ft jumps and 5ft drops without a hitch, the cranks arent going to last the abuse, but the wheels and fork are not going to break, if you get it for a good deal, buy it!
The only things I would change now would be the cranks, the fork for a marzocchi marathon r, and the stem and bars for light carbon ones!
Enjoy :)

Trek 3700, 4500.
Ironhorse Maverick Team
Cannondale Jekyl

[Sep 03, 2012]
meanean
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Frame, Better componants than other brands that cost more.

None that I have found yet.

I have a 2011 model, all Shimano from the brakes to the shifters and love the bike. Some say its heavy but not to me. Guess its what your used to. After riding a few Trek bikes that I liked this one seemed to have better parts for less price. A Trek of the same price only had cable disc brakes vice the hyraulic.

Love the bike and not one complaint thus far.

[Jun 15, 2012]
Hunter
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

frame, brakes, handle bars

nothing stands out

Great entry level bike i came from a no suspension bike and went to this and it was so much better. It is good for downhills and up hills. The bike is great but, the fork isnt the best for jumping but it is great for mountain biking. It absorbs a lot

[Nov 08, 2011]
Rocky_Urban

Strength:

Simple, reliable and fun to ride

Paint quality

My bike is a 2000 model. Its 12 years old now, over 14,000km, ridden in 4 different countries with it. Survives daily torture of downtown Toronto riding, rocky trails, ride across France, and a month as a bike courier in London, England. This bike is starting to feel its age now. Considering this is a "cheap" bike, it out lived many of my friends more premium bikes. I'm on my second set of brakes, 3rd pair of tires, second chain, crank and cassette. The RST forks still work fine, not the best performing shocks but definitely durable and for me that counts.

Rocky Mountain Fusion

[Oct 25, 2011]
kdub420

Strength:

Frame frame frame. Really awesome, sturdy, lightweight frame. Very solid on the trails. Can definately feel flexing on the pavement, but that doesnt bother me. Great base to a bike.. Wheels are alright, came stock double wall rims

Stock suspension (SR Suntour XCT) steerer tube bent the first time I hit a tree. Upgraded to Marzocchi DJ3. Wanted to keep it stalky and bulky to withstand slams. Also replaced the horrible stock headset, handlebars, added bar ends, neck, pedals and crank set/bottom bracket. All of these components stock were absolutely unreliable. This beauty is actually starting to show the possibilities I saw in it when I bought it.

The best bicycle purchase I have ever made. SO fun finding parts and taking the old ones off and installing the new ones. No greater feeling than a self-customized bike. Really awesome frame for a low-budget college student

This is my first mountain bike. Used to ride 20s

[Sep 30, 2011]
Pakpal73

Strength:

Well built, strong, relative to price paid. Came stock with Rockshok Toras from the store.

Super Heavy front end.

Price paid should be $489 CAD not USD.

Great bike for the begginer with a small budget. Works as intended. The stock equipment that came on the bike work ok for a begginer and once you are more comfortable on the trails you can easily upgrade the parts as and when you need them. Depending on the store you get yours from take some time to check over the bike prior to a ride to make sure that everything is tight and not loose. The cassette was loose on mine before I rode it but thats an easy enough fix.

GT, Rocky Mountain, Giant

[Jul 01, 2011]
frankie_boy

Strength:

Unbelievable PRICE! Regular MSRP is $750.00 but on sale for $349.00 it is a great platform to build a really great bike; solid, light, balanced, great welds, and easy to work on. Disk Brakes are rock solid and incredibly easy to dial in.

Heavy front suspension and heavy front end in general, I plan or rebuilding entire front-end probably with a Klein one piece headset and bars, as well as the inner bracket, and most likely a ridged Ritchie Pro-Logic fork. I think that alone would take 3-4 lbs off the total weight. The rear casset's bottom cog is a 14, fine for the trail but when I switch to slicks for city riding it seriously limits downhill speeds; with a 44 tooth outer ring unbalenced spinning begins in the low to mid 20ies. Running a 44 to 11 ratio you get up and over 30mph before that happens. So I simply plan on getting a new set of lighter wheels for the road

A great investment! As they say everything begins with a strong foundation and this frame is amazing for the price! Six or seven years ago you'd pay at least a grand for a similar frame.
It's a great starter bike for the trail and a cheap base for a fast reliable messenger bike or a mix of the two for an adrenalin seeking weekender.

Great for running high pressure 80-100lbs. of pressure in 1.25" or 1.5" slicks straight out of the box; coupled with the stiff aluminum frame the combo makes for hyper-fast riding on pavement; but traditionally the heavier & more flexible chrome-molly frames were the only frames that could take that type of beating for more than say 3000 to 6000 miles pending skills of riders, more dexterous riding skills can suck up the bumps & landings rather than the bike giving the frame a much longer life.

I think the thick welds will hold and not crack as easily as the lighter weight and thinner tubing and welds of the high end Aluminum frames like Cannondale's, Klein's etc. which most often crack at the bottom bracket or under the head-set after such riding. Luckily most of those frames are guaranteed for life.

It can't compete with the one to three grand racers but over time with the right replacement parts it will run with the best of them!

Specialized: Rock Hopper, Stump Jumper