Devinci Desperado XC Hardtail

Devinci Desperado XC Hardtail

[Jul 23, 2007]
Rob K

Strength:

Desperado 0.1
----------------
Weight - 27.1 with pedals
Price - 13xx.00
Solid Drive Train
Remote Lockout Shock
Very Good Frame
Flashy Paint Job

Flashy paint job is _very_ thick. Be sure have rear brake mounts and rear dropout resurfaced.
0.1 Desperado with Rock Shox Tora 302 Coil shock is meant for a lighter rider - 150-200lbs not doing any drops larger than 3 feet.

Resurfacing rear brake mount and rear drop out is a must for correct alignment of roter and wheel.

The bottom bracket alignment is positioned to be on more on the fast side of things, nice for paved/long gravel roads.

Keep on flowy or tight trails. No drops.

Rockey Mountain Oxygen Race 2001
LX/XT Front and Rear Derailleur
LX Shifters
RaceFace Crank

[Feb 27, 2006]
Rob Halpin

Strength:

Amazing race bike. Climbs great light and fast. It even tracks great. XT groupo with the dual control levers are really nice.

The comp s light tires aren't the greatest but don't let that stop you from getting the best xc race bike ever.

A great race bike. for fast flowing races to the narlyest races. This bike is the perfect bike for someone you needs a good race bike but does not want to fork out the money for a $4000 bike. XT is does the job just as well as XTR.

[Jan 28, 2006]
DAVE

Strength:

Extremely Light, very controlable, Climbs like a monkey. This bike is a racer, weight weenies will love it. Seems pretty tough for it's light weight, but built strictly for XC racing- light and fast. Geometry is set to race, keeping you leaned forward. Devinci built this frame up with some of the best components-ready to ride.

Selle Italia seat creaks loudly under hard (seated) pedaling, though very light and comfortable.

Bike is quick and light as hell. It's so light, that if you're not paying attention it's easy to lose control, and the bike gets a little whippy. That said, I have'nt ridden anything else that actually makes riding and climbing easy and fast. It's definitely not built for knocking around and any kind of jumping, which is becoming more and more popular these days. For those that enjoy hardtails, this bike is a blast to ride, built to race out of the box. Not made for jumping or knocking around, those that enjoy fast smooth single track will appreciate it's light weight and awesome climbing ability at speeds full suspensions cant touch.

Specialized RockHopper, Iron Horse DS SE Warrior,

[Mar 08, 2004]
Dennis

Strength:

Quality build (check-out Devinci's web site)
Best frame geometry I found
Well equipped out of the box
11 kg (24 lbs)

Rockshox SID Race shocks "clunk" like the reviews say (found that out after I bought the bike).
N/A in the US (You Americans are missing something here)

This is the 2003 model, purchased just as the 2004's came out. A few different features but the frame is the same.

When I went to replace my Rock Hopper, I researched theses bikes and drove the lbs owners crazy. Each bike I looked at had an improvement I would make if I bought it, so I settled on the Santa Cruz because of the geometry.

Went to the Santa Cruz dealer and explained what I wanted with the changes (Full XT/XTR, Hayes etc.) He looked at me sideways and said why would I want to do that when the Desperado had what I wanted. All the features I was looking for with the right geometry. Only change was the Monkey Bar riser (good change).

Since you can add whatever components you want to a bike, the frame is what counts, and Devinci seems to have taken the best of the best from everyone, and built a solid frame around the components.

When I ride this bike (I'm 6'3", 210#) my chest is right above the BB, and my head lines up BEHIND the front tire. When I am standing, my chest lines up over the front hub. This configuration always puts my centre of gravity in the best place for power transfer to the tires and the ground. I am more stable on this bike than any of the others I tried.

I live 20 minutes from the Giant and Rocky Mtn factories and the lbs could get anything I wanted in 2 days from the factory, but I settled on the Devinci (made in Quebec). Welds, paint, craftsmanship are on par with Santa Cruz and Gary Fisher.

I checked them all out and settled on Devinci. Worth a serious look if you are shopping.

Four flamin turds overall because of the Rockshox SID Race.

Giant XTC2, Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Cannondale F600

[Apr 13, 2004]
Louis

Strength:

-Weight
-Price
-Frame
-Setup

The Rock Shox sid in front.

This is the greatest hardtail I ever ride. Geometry is very aggressive for a racing XC and the setup is the best value on the market.
I hope this product will soon release in the Usa because of the quality of this bike.

Specialized stompjumpert 2003, gary fisher supercaliber, trek 6500

[Jan 17, 2008]
geoff parkyn

Strength:

frame design/quality, good specs for dollar, even has those awesome Maxxis larsen TTi tires

front shock, saddle, crank

Devinci makes a great bike for the price..be prepared to upgrade basics like shocks or smaller items like saddles but once you do so, you have a great bike which rivals others costing hundreds more..besides a CDN product, ehh!

none really, use as light XC trail rider