Cannondale Trail XC Hardtail

Get on the Trail. Your journey begins here. Welcome to the world of two wheels and fat tires. Your Trail awaits. Where it takes you is entirely up to you.

• Frame: Trail, double butted 6061 alloy, SAVE, 1-1/8” headtube
  • Fork: RST Gila Pro TNL, 100mm, coil/elastomer, lockout, 1-1/8"
  • Spokes: Stainless Black
  • Tires: Kenda Small Block 8 26x2.1", wire
  • Pedals: FPD Platform w/ steel cage
  • Shifters: Shimano Alivio

• User Reviews (32)

Anthony   Cross Country Rider [May 09, 2014]
    Strength:

Good light and strong frame. That's it !!!!

The parts on this bike are made of chocolate !! I bought this bike 6 months ago and now only have 3 original parts left standing . All other parts have been upgraded due to how poor the original ones were.

People keep saying " a good entry level " bike .... Entry level to what ??? Riding along a canel bank or up a few hills . The only thing on this bike I think is worth mentioning is the frame. , the rest is very poor. Do yourself a favour and save up an extra few hundred and buy a better bike.

carlos MR   [Aug 18, 2013]
    Strength:

Bullet proof frame. S.A.V.E system is great for soaking up bumps and hits. Frame can take 650b tires I converted mine and its great. Very light frame Im a a Clydesdale rider and this frame has no problem going through very tech trails has taken abuse and kept going with out any problems.

paint is thin and very easy to scratch off.

i purchased SL3 frame very cheap NEW. I built it up using components i choose as a 26 inch I took this bike out on some really rough trails and frame held up with flying colors. I recently updated this bike to 27.5 wheels and its now faster and even more fun to ride. great frame from cannondale.

Willow Constantine   [Jun 25, 2013]
    Strength:

The geometry of the frame is perfect for an intermediate rider, as it allows you to stay upright and comfortable. The components are really excellent for an entry level bike. The gears shift very smoothly and it's a nice cosy ride. I love the adjustments on the suspension. The bike is fairly lightweight and really easy to handle. It feels solid and very top quality, considering the price.

You should definitely change the tires. The factory tires are really pretty lame, so I went tubeless and very happy now. I also had to change the grips as the factory grips were causing blisters. Other than that, the bike is pretty ideal.

This is a top choice if you are looking for an entry level bike that you can ride until you have surpassed the intermediate phase of riding. Cannondale has always been my top choice for bikes, now I can see why.

terrasonic05   Weekend Warrior [Mar 09, 2013]
    Strength:

Frame, Headstock and Bars, Brakes, and excellent design geometry.

Drivetrain, Forks, Rims.

This is a great 29er design that is unfortunately hamstrung by low end, and some junk, drivetrain componants and not very good wheels. For the high price Cannondale could have at least keep everything within Shimano's prefered groupo classes. Low end Deore parts are throughout, except for a few spots where even Deore was forsaken for Shimano componants typically used on WALMART bikes. The Forks are ok, but seriously cheap and only good for not so serious riding.

Surprisingly, although cheap, the Shimano hydraulic brakes work very well, not that much below my other XT brakes.

Bottom line- excellent design with very cheap componants. Cannondale is looking greedier and greedier to me every year, which is disheartening as they have been my mainstay for a decade and a half.

ROB MULL   [Mar 05, 2013]
    Strength:

Good frame. rides great

headset.

have cannondale sl4 2012 model for 18 months now, replaced bottom bracket worn .heads set replaced with sealed ones..rear wheel replaced spokes snapped.got to bleed brakes every 3months or so.hand grip replaced with lockons.other than that great bike. have done 3k miles on it in all weathers,check head set bearing are greased. ring bearing type.not much grease in there from new.

Travis Speck   [Feb 24, 2013]
    Strength:

Bar with and cranks

wheels are really heavy and need to be trued constantly, this bike cannot take any AM riding at all the forks are horrible. When I looked online to see how much my forks retail for I was disappointed to find out they are work 80 dollars. I broke my rear shifter on my 5th ride. It also handles horrible on jumps you feel very unstable in air. I also broke my wheel set in one bad crash I dislike this bike

Overall this bike was fine a beginner but as you progress you will be disappointed to find out that this bike will not stay with you as you progress, components will start to break suspension will start to wear out and then you are going to start to replace this is coming from a amateur rider who likes to have fun and do jumps and drops and AM riding if you are like me i strongly advise you not to buy this bike

paeltz   Cross Country Rider [Feb 14, 2013]
    Strength:

Frame, groupset, price

Fork, wheelset, tires

For the price you can't beat it. The CAAD frame is top of the line with great response and agility. Being 245 pounds I was shocked how quick and nimble this bike feels as compared to comparable trek and specialized models. The reacon silver fork is trash and the wheelset is very heavy. If you want to go tubeless you will need another set of tires- these can't cut it. Overall I still give a top notch rating, I have upgraded the fork, wheelset, crank, and rear derailleur and have a great bike.

Jason Stewart   All Mountain Rider [Feb 02, 2013]
    Strength:

Bike rides smooth and comfortable on a variety of terrain. Frame is solid. The Helix hydraulic discs have worked flawlessly and stop on a dime every time. Also the bike just looks great.

I haven't really found any major weaknesses. I do plan to upgrade seat & grips but stock they aren't too shabby with gloves & padded riding shorts. Tires are good for all around riding but a tad slick in softer terrain or mud.

I love this bike. The sharp look-matte gray/orange color scheme immediately caught my eye. When I took it for a test run at the shop I instantly fell in love with it. I've now been riding it for 6 months on trails from Texas all the way to California. I haven't had a single problem with it. It shifts well and the suspension handles the bumps/small drops & jumps well also. The bike feels great when you're either on or off road. For me this bike was a slight step up from my former Trek hard tail ($400.00-$500.00 price range). The tires are a bit mellow in my opinion, but they ride extremely smooth on hard pack trails. When you hit the softer stuff like mud or loose dirt they are a little less grippy, but I'm also used to having more aggressive tires. If your looking for a solid all mountain bike I'd highly recommend this one. I ride frequently and I got to say this bike's been worth every penny I paid for it so far.

Weekender92   [Dec 28, 2012]
    Strength:

frame, controls, seat

pedals, fork, brakes

This is my first mountain bike, over the year that I have had this, I have also ridden a heavily modified Specilalized Hardrock and a full suspension Kona to compare it to. The Trail 6 has great handling, as long as the tires are kept around 45psi. Below that, the bike is not as stable and is unpredictable. The wheels are strong and have not bent, even after some hard hits. The fork works well, but it does not seem ideal for any high-speed downhill segments, I think a lower end RockShox fork will cure this. The brakes were worthless, I upgraded to Avid BB7's and they made a world of difference. Past these, all of the controls have worked great, handlebar is a little narrow, the grips are good and the bike is comfortable. This is a great handling, durable and fast bike to either learn with, upgrade to, or just add to your collection.

Jason   All Mountain Rider [Aug 06, 2012]
    Strength:

Frame, Wheels, Rear Derailer, Cranks. Seat post, Stem, Bars.

Pedals, Seat, Front Derailer, Brakes. Tires.

So Ill cut straight to the point. Review based on one very long day of all around riding and abuse, downhill, climbing, jumping, in town/pavement.

Strengths-Wheels and main components of frame feel solid and function well. Fork, although a cheap brand, functions very well. Rear derailer gave me no issues at all. Cranks feel very solid no play or noise what so ever.

Weakness-Pedals are plastic, and have very small studs I found myself readjusting way too often. Brakes are terrible, although they will slow you down they make horrible noise wet and dry when applied hard and are very uneven and gummy. Front rotor began rubbing occasionally after some very light use. Seat extremely uncomfortable and not durable, ripped very easily. Front derailer is no good, functions good but occasionally has issues and jumped the chain once. Contemplaying removing it completely for now. Frame gemoetry good all around for me (5'10) but stem slightly too long for me. Feels a little off when going down steep hills and larger jumps, enough so that I will be looking into a different frame more suited for downhill and jumping.

All around Im happy with this bike. Good for all around and XC. If you ride it nicely and stay up on maitenence should last you a very long time with all stock parts. If I did it again I would have saved for another month or two and gotten a more exspensive main brand, probably full suspension.