Cannondale Flash Carbon 4 XC Hardtail

The World’s Best Hardtail. Lighter Than Most Elite Carbon Roadbikes, Tougher Than Most Aluminum Bikes, Stiffer and More Compliant Than Titanium. Science Fiction Becomes Engineering Fact.

• Frame: Flash, BallisTec Carbon, SAVE, BB30 1.5 Si head tube
  • Crank: SRAM X-7 2x10 42x28 BB30
  • Shifters: SRAM X-7 2x10 Shifters w/o Clamp + MM Clamps
  • Brakes: Avid Elixir R + adapter and bolt kit
  • Seat Post: Cannondale C2 (PM PM-602) 27.2 x 400 mm

Diego Martin   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2012]
Strength:

bike is very light and geometry of the frame is great.the price is very good compared to most top models and other top brands with equivalent configuration.

Elixir R brakes give much trouble and X7 Shifters are not enough.

I've been using the bike for the last 6 months. is very very good in any terrain.the carbon frame with good geometry associated with lefty suspension ensure excellent maneuverability. 26" is perfect for my size body, the 29er is to big for me. is a pit they stoped with carbon frames 26er in my country (Brazil)

Similar Products Used: Scott Boulder, aluminum 7005 frame
OVERALL
Gede0n   Cross Country Rider [Aug 24, 2011]
Strength:

Light bike (people are always impressed at how light it is), carbon fiber frame, Lefty, great design

I hate the X7 shifters, the brakes are very loud (I tried 3 different brake pads), front derailleur really hates mud and needs to stay clean in order to work properly

I've had the bike for 6 months and 2000km. I love it! My only complaints are related to components.
It's my lightest bike so far. After my old Trek Y33, I wanted to go for a light hardtail bike. I picked the Flash Carbon 4 because it was just within my budget (it's the cheapest Flash Carbon) and the frame is just awesome!

The bike is just over 10kg (L size) with some big bulky pedals. Changing them and going tubeless could take it to 9.x kg.
The Lefty is a great suspension, I really like the 2x10 Sram X9 (precise, and quick), however I find the shifters really awful. Shimano Rapidfire style would be much better. Mud messes up the front derailleur very easily and I regularly end up using my water bottle to clean it.

Maybe worth noting: I broke a pulley wheel last week, for no apparent reason. Maybe just bad luck.

Basically, it's great value for money (even more if you can get it at the US price...): 3 times cheaper than the Ultimate, and you still get (almost) the same frame!