Avanti Ridge Rider XC Hardtail

• Brake Levers: Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic Disc
  • Shifters: Shimano Acera 24-Speed
  • Crankset: Shimano M191 42/34/24T

bloke   Weekend Warrior [Jan 30, 2012]

I've had mine since 2008 and I love it but have had a few reservations. For the first year I owned it I took it on two 30k XC rides every weekend and the bike survived with heavy me on it and a few crashes. I eventually got some broken rear spokes in late 2009 and as well the rear cassette wore down. With a bit of work from the from the servicing blokes my ridge rider had improved since I bought it, so I'd say it is generally recommended in the toughness and goodness department.
Other things I'd recommend are the cornering and stability aspect both in cramped quarters and at speed going downhill. Its versatile and is great fitness riding on urban bikepaths and roads.
I think it is a bit cumbersome and heavy for more technical and very steep XC-ing but as I said, the fitness workouts on roads and tracks make up for it (seeing I'm not that good anyway) and it gets through tough 'easy' grade circuits well.
My main criticism was the gear and pedal system - I had tripping and slipping chain for the first year or so on several gear settings which was infuriating which leads me to believe that tuning the thing requires expert or specialised attention....!?

guy with a bike   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2011]
Strength:

cost wheelset

crap grips, stock tyres, fork, frame defect, seat rails bend, a better deralier would have been nice but u get what u pay 4

its a great bike... untill you start getting to good for it(it took me 8 months to be too good for this bike then i started riding trails too fast for a hardtail and i need a full suspension)
theres a problem with the frames where the disk post mounts force a crack into the frame if you brake too hard, i know its not because i weigh too much either because im only 65 kilos

Similar Products Used: my brothers gt avalanche2
Bikebasher64   Weekend Warrior [Aug 15, 2010]
Strength:

The strength of the frame and the front forks.

Loose chain,tyres and the weight

It is a great bike that I can easily throw around, I have found that I am doing bigger jumps and drop offs on this than my old bike. I would recommend it to anyone starting the sport but I wouldnt recommend it to people doing down hill or anything like that.

treadly-ace   Cross Country Rider [Jun 08, 2010]
Strength:

Lockout, Hydro Brakes, Super Strong Frame

Basic Kenda Tyres

This Ridge Rider is a great ride for the beginner. Double wall rims, super strong frame and decent Shimano components make this bike forgiving and it's easy on the budget too. Lockout on the forks add versatility and the saddle is great. This bike has never skipped a beat.