Airborne Lancaster XC Hardtail

• Size specific 3Al / 2.5V seamless titanium tubing
  • Optimal size specific tubing (Larger diameter tubing used on larger size frames)
  • Extended seat tube increases stand over height while creating a smaller and stiffer front triangle

Bruno Abreu   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2007]
Strength:

- Awesome geometry (I always loved bikes that leave you streched, ready to climb hard as hell. This bike is for people who really wanna do it´s best and pedal as hard as you can, its not suited for people who just do Sunday straws...)
- The feel of Titanium!
- The strenght of Titanium!
- The looks of Titanium!
- Affordable!
- Finish is as good or even better than on much more expensive competition (Handbrusted finish, Laser Cut and Welded Titanium head tube badge...)
- Handles as good or perhaps even better than much more expensive competition!
- Pretty light for straight gauge 3Al/2.5V Aerospace grade tubbing (3.43Lbs for size 18.5 frame on my scale)

- Company no longer sales in Brazil. I hope that now that they have changed Brand to Van Nicholas and are running a new staff, they come back to Brazil and start selling them again. I need a new speed bike, and now that I have tasted Titanium I will never go back to Carbon or Aluminum (perhaps True Temper OX2 Platinum Steel...)

This bike rocks!!! When I first saw the frame I said to my self¨What he hell... Titanium this quality finish for that price...must have it!!!¨
Everything that most people said about this frame especialy in the european media is true! A great frame to race, hit the trail and enjoy in epic rides. The people at Airborne really knew what they were doing. I believe that now Van Nicholas is mantainig the goal and still offering the best titanium bikes for value. Of course they are better titanium frames out there but they cost at least twice as much, so the value is unbeatable. If you can grab it!

I strongly recomend it for anyone who likes to ride fast and competitive cross coutry.

The Lancaster changed it´s name to Zion and is now Avaliable at www.vannicholas.com

Similar Products Used: Litespeed Pisgah (a firend´s bike), Trek 8500, Trek 990, GT Zaskar LE, Caloi Aluminum ATZ, Caloi Italia, Alfameq Tirreno.
mule   Racer [Jun 23, 2006]
Strength:

Brilliant handling and superb geometry

Awesome bike for racing and marathon riding. Titanium absorbs the bumps and it tracks like its on rails. no flex, no nonsense race bike.

Similar Products Used: aluminium and cro-mo hardtails
mule   Racer [Jun 23, 2006]
Strength:

Brilliant handling and superb geometry

Similar Products Used: aluminium and cro-mo hardtails
adán pinto   [May 09, 2006]
Strength:

light, titaniun flex, finish, price, geometry....it's titanium.

decals design and flex seatstays with v-brakes.

for the price, there is no other option in the market. the ride is incredible and is a bike for years.

Similar Products Used: univega alpina 5.9 cromoly
Carlo Franco   Cross Country Rider [Dec 26, 2005]
Strength:

Very fast around tight corners, soft ti frame swallows the bumpy trails

company no longer sells in the US

best bike I've ever had.

marc   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2005]
Strength:

Beautiful detailed frame

geometry

The geometry is awful! Top tube is to long and seat tube angle is not steep enough, resulting in a uncomfortable long stretched position. Even after mounting a very short stem and putting the saddle in the most forward position on a Thompson seatpost I was left with a funny looking bike, which still didn't ride good. The low an long top tube results in a very sloppy front triangle.
In the end i sold the frame and ordered a handmade titanium frame from Italy

Similar Products Used: Rewel, Italian titanium handmade frame
dan milner   Cross Country Rider [May 08, 2005]
Strength:

affordable titanium ride. Good attention to detail. Well thought out cable routing etc. Frame size has a very low top tube.. maximising your movement over the Toptube on anything technical.

Hmmm. I havbe to think hard ...Maybe the seat-tube takes the anodising off my USE seatpost ... damn that Titanium, it's way too hard!
Oh yeah and I had to get a longer seatpost (420mm) cos of the lower TT (see above)

A damn good TIT frame for anyone wanting a good comfy XC ride. Handles well on anything technical (rocky and switchbacks) and is a pleasure on long rides. This is my bike for my home trails around Chamonix (techy) and for a 2 month exploration of the singletracks across New Zealand last year. Fantastic, especially when you put on an adjustable travel fork like the Rebas (85-115mm).

Similar Products Used: GT Zaskar LE (the 6061 triple butted seatstay version) for 5 years until I bent the seatstay in a fall.
Carlo Franco   Cross Country Rider [Jan 23, 2005]
Strength:

Very Soft ride, quick on tight turns, tight on technical lines

Best bike I've ever owned

paul   Cross Country Rider [Nov 01, 2004]
Strength:

Handling, looks, finish, made of titanium. Standover height, cable-guides for cable- as well as hydraulic operated brakes. Price compared to other titanium frames.

None that matter really.

I love this bike, it's light, handles very well, you can do almost anything with it. Race it, make long epic rides, even tour it on the road with a pair of slicks if you like.
I like to take it for a couple of hours but also like a bit of extra comfort, so I put the thudbuster post in.
Ofcourse there are cheaper frames that offer similar rides, but they're not made of titanium... no corrosion or paint to come off. I also like the fact you don't see too many of these bikes.
Would buy it again any time, I enjoy every ride on it, and that's what it's all about for me!