Specialized Fate Expert Carbon 29 Womens

Specialized Fate Expert Carbon 29 Womens

The all-new Fate Expert Carbon 29 features women's performance XC 29er geometry and is equipped with an 80mm-travel RockShox SID Brain fork and Avid X0 World Cup brakes for premium cross-country performance.

[Jun 10, 2013]
Lynda

Strength:

Fast, light confidence building

None -- well, maybe the boring black paint job.

I have resisted the 29'er craze for years, mostly beacuse of my short stature (5'1") and fear that a 29'er would not suit me. After a couple birthday cocktails in March, I picked up a 2012 Fate Expert frame and fork on ebay and built it up with parts from my carbon 26'er hartail, including the 3x9 Sram 9 drivetrain and XT brakes. Had some Stans Crest 29er wheels built around my Chris King hubs and wallah, I think I have built the bike of my dreams!! I have tested it on the toughest southeast Michigan singletrack, and I continue to be amazed at the confidence inspiring ride of this bike, its ease of handling, climbing ability, and general get up and go. It excels on singletrack both flowy and technical, commuting, dirt roads -- I am absolutely thrilled with my purchase and fear my beloved titanium Titus RacerX 26'er will be gathering dust from here on out..........if you are short and worried about 29er handling, worry no more. This bike is AWESOME!

OVERALL
[Feb 09, 2012]
redhawk
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Meets the challenge size-wise. Gearing spot on.

Depends on your perspective. Spec is fine for price. Replace the Renegade tires if you want to live. There is no detectable edge to them so unless you don't really ride trails, ride like a baby, or are an ace bike handler on a NORBA course and sponsored you will die. And replace them before you ever ride them because you will otherwise never get over how fast and fun they are unless you die the first time out. And switch to tubeless. The bar is too narrow and alloy heavy and dead and switching to the Easton wide carbon flat bar was a big plus. The crank is a hunk of iron but doesn't detract really and the rig is definitely upgrade worthy if you;re self-indulgent. Brakes took some getting used to since I'm on Formulas otherwise but they are tweakable and that makes a real difference to the good and now I'm totally down with them even alternating with other bikes. Nice work with shorter headtube and short steep fork overall so confidence on descents better than the numbers would suggest probably thanks to the wagon wheels, but hands still high enough that steep climbing pitches can be problematic with your hands up in your teeth and no way to weight the rear enough to make it.

Love this bike! Couldn't be an only bike here where I live and ride, but excellent in a quiver. In other words, isn't going to replace full suspension (which must be 26" wheels given current offerings in my size--XS Pivot/Titus). Wagon wheels and tubeless take some of the edge off hardtailness. Carbon frame has great responsiveness to pedaling input (and would make a wonderful 1speed!). Fast, furious and fun on the right trails! Decently lightweight and geometry well-tweaked. No interest in racing here and may I say again: I love this bike!

OVERALL