Santa Cruz Juliana Womens

Santa Cruz Juliana Womens

Designed specifically for the ladies, the Juliana is a wicked fast, full suspension bike sporting custom-butted aluminum tubing, 100mm (4 inches) of rear travel and a tuned suspension that allows it accelerate, climb, corner and descend like no other.

[Dec 18, 2009]
Gia

Strength:

Light & at the same time strong frame, geometry is excelent !

the bike is great, but shame on some componentes. none complain about the frame just about some of the crappy components.

Great for climbing,with the upgrades I´d made is just the perfect riding machine for me,can´t understan why SC builds this great bike with the low end shimano deore components? This frame is a Jewel!

Orbea Occam, Jamis Dakar XLT , BH Trial Hunter , Lapierre Zesty.

[Mar 03, 2009]
minouchi

Strength:

Bounds up and down hills effortlessly. Where other bikes might get stuck on rocks or slide off with the rear wheel, this puppy just keeps on going. Nice balance. Like the rear shock position. Reminded me why I like cycling so much!

Heavier than my '03 Trek Fuel 90, which has V brakes, but it's still disappointing. Hard to notice at first, but after a couple miles of uphill, it's a real drag to get up the hill and I'm losing time. Sort of makes up for it by clearing tough sections, but I think I'll stick with the Trek for the races this year.

Not as "superlight" as Santa Cruz thinks it is, but that's hard to do without going carbon. A real pleasure to ride!

Trek Fuel 90.

[Apr 07, 2006]
Kim

Strength:

Excellent bike. It took awhile (6 weeks) to arrive after ordering but was well worth the wait. The full-suspension feels like it slows me down a bit, but I think it's just because it's more comfortable and doesn't bounce off everything like my HT does. The fork is wonderful, I feel like I can ride down anything--it's super forgiving, hmm...dit might be making me a bit sloppier. Being able to build the bike with different components and order different frame colours, and see the bike weight and prices, right on the Santa Cruz website is excellent.

Low bottom bracket, and in my opinion, long cranks for the M frame size. I ordered a M after lots of consultation (5'4", 291/2" inseam) and it came with 175mm cranks. Nowhere on the SC website (which is otherwise excellent) are the crank lengths given for a particular frame size. As all of my other road and mtn bikes have 170mm cranks, I noticed a big bad difference pushing the 175s for a season, I ended up not being able to climb over everything I would normally be able to because the pedals hit lots of stuff, and pedal revolutions felt weirdo. I've replaced them with 170mm for this season and so far pedaling feels better, but the deep snow that's still on our trails hasn't let me test them fully yet. SC will change the crankset for you, so make sure to request your ideal crank size when you order.

Fantastic cross-country bike. I'm sure it's not the cheapest bike for it's components, or the lightest bike for it's price, but it's made in NA and it's solid on all kinds of terrain. I ride it on the twisty, flowy trails at Hiawatha and the rocky, rooty, downhilly stuff at Bellevue (S.S.M, Canada). And I spent a couple weeks last summer riding it on trails all over BC, where it performed well on everything from boardwalks on the sunshine coast to steep, long climbs into alpine (and the descents) near Squamish and Whistler to the super flowy twisty stuff and downhill runs at Sun Peaks. I've raced in two 24-hour races on it (4-5 laps total, not solo). It's lots more comfortable than my HT for the long haul rides.

When you order, know what crank length you want and request it.

Nothing similar but I still love my hardtail Rocky Mountain Stratos (with Mavic Crossmax wheels).

[Jan 30, 2006]
Matt Lanzarone

Strength:

Light, Great Handling, Comfort, Colour Options

Disc pads wore out after 8 hours of racing (very muddy conditions). Bottom bracket is low and does hit the occasional log or rock. Pedal scraps the ground too easily, if you lean too hard into a high speed corner.

An excellent bike! Tailored for women who want a mixture of great handling, comfort, confidence on rough xc tracks and light weight. My wife has gained in confidence as a result of riding a Juliana Superlight.

Jamis Dakar, Trek Hardtail

[Apr 12, 2004]
Sally

Strength:

Women specific design, SUPER light, It's MY size! Strong, reliable frame. It's a Santa Cruz! It's really pretty too.

It doesn't clean my house or pay the mortgage.

I have found my soulmate. This bike makes me want to quit my job. Climbing is effortless...I don't even bother to lock out the shocks (lockout is great for "road" riding, but not necessary for the trails). Downhill is an E ticket (uh...that's an old Disneyland reference...not a drug reference, you freaks!). I thought it would be hard to find a bike that matched my Joshua's handling (believe it or not, the Joshua was EXCELLENT on technical downhills), but the Juliana delivers. I point it, and it goes effortlessly. As far as comfort goes, I feel like this bike was custom built for me...oh wait...it was! So far, it's worth every single penny. I'm sure I'll eventually upgrade to XTR components, but for now, the XT set up is perfect for my experience level. If you're looking for a bike that's truly built for a female, this is THE one. Don't waste your money on any other bike.

2000 Fisher Joshua F3

[May 17, 2004]
Melinda

Strength:

Tight frame handles great, smooth ride, love disc breaks, the women's specific geometry rules.

The seat is O.K., that is the worst thing I can say about this bike!

This bike rules, I'm so much faster on this bike! I've been riding for almost 7 years on a Caloi hard tail (it's a Brazilian version of Canondale), and rode a few months on a Sugar 4+ which was half the experienc of my superlight. I can't believe how well this bike sticks turns. I'm approaching 40 years young and need a bike that eats bumps and this one does a great job of it. My husband is trying to talk me into racing, I might consider it now that I have a set of balls call Santa Cruz. I definitely recommend this bike if you a woman who enjoys riding and is tired of riding bikes made for big hairy guys!

Gary fisher Sugar, trek fuel wsp(tested on a 10 mile ride)

[May 26, 2004]
Sandy

Strength:

stock seat is actually comfortable
excellent handling
great climber
light weight (24.5lbs)

none as of yet

At 5'1", It's needless to say that I didn't have many bikes to choose from. Most small frames might as well have had "Large" written on them as far as I was concerned.

So, since there weren't many designs to pick from, I started looking at the female specific bikes. Most (GF, and Trek for example), only went up to about $1500 in range, and I was looking for just a little bit more. Than, I came across the Juliana. It seems that Santa Cruz was the only company taking Girl mountain bikers seriously. I picked up the small frame w/ super x kit and have never looked back. I am so impressed with this bike! My handling has dramatically improved, and I know that I'm riding faster than on my old hardtail. The 5th element shock is great, especially for riding on all the roots here we have in VA.

I can't wait to start racing w/ this baby!

old hardtail

[Jun 03, 2004]
Tracey

Strength:

Light Frame, effortless pedaling uphill, great control and speed.

I thought I would die and go to heaven riding my hard tail IF, after a test ride on the Santa Cruz Blur, I knew I had to take a chance with the Juliana SL. I raced last weekend and did very well in the mudd and rain of New England, the Juliana just glided over the rocks and through the mudd with little effort. The Juliana SL must have a little motor somewhere her in frame that kicks in when the going gets tough. The female specific sizing and comfort is a must for anyone who rides and wants to keep riding in the years to come.

1996 Independent Fabrication Special