Trek 69er Single Speed Singlespeed

69er Single Speed

• Hydroformed bi-axial down tube and top tube
  • Forged horizontally adjustable disc dropouts
  • Front Suspension: Maverick Custom Double crown, 100mm
  • Wheels: Bontrager Race X Lite Single Speed; 29" front, 26" rear

Japsel   Weekend Warrior [Mar 20, 2013]
Strength:

Handling, Stiffness, Acceleration, It's somewhat different

Comfort: It is quite harsh and stiff, plus you need to stick a fat (tubeless) rear tire to achieve some balance between the front and the rear.

Standard ISIS crankset which is flexy, and being ISIS does not last very long.

- Summary:
Very stiff and responsive frameset that excels in acceleration and cornering.
It is very well made, slider drop-outs make for easy chain tension adjustments.
(they are noticeably better made then the Marlin 29er SS)
Easy to unweight the front in order to get over obstacles. This also makes it a fun bike on pump sections or manuals.
The smaller wheel diameter makes for a fast accelerating bike which is always a good thing to have on a singlespeed.
Did I mention that it is a fast accelerating bike?

However, all that glitters is not gold.
Being very stiff means a harsh and unforgiving ride. The ride is also dominated by the wheel difference, This can be felt on certain trails or conditions where the rear does not seems to hold it's momentum.
I am thinking about sticking a 650b in the rear in order to get a more balanced ride.

The standard components are a not bad. The ISIS crankset is the only real letdown. It lacks stiffness and being ISIS it is not that durable either.

I bought a second-hand 21inch 2009 69er in November 2012 as a (cheap) winter / mud bike
The two-tone brown and black with the funky '70's graphics. It came without the Fox rp24 g2 fork. So I can not comment on that.

Components:
It was well used so I immediately replaced the standard cranks -which where worn and creaky- with some single ringed and bashed 180mm XT's. Also replaced the creaky Bontrager seatpost with a Thomson. Cleaned and re-greased the hubs and headset and put in a Niner Carbon rigid fork.
It still had the funky oviod shimano chain, and standard cogs. These where worn and replaced as well.

Wheels:
I do have some issues with the axle and fork drop-out interface. It has some side to side play, unless I pul the quick release REAL tight. I did have the same issue with my Bontrager RXL's from my Fisher 29er. Some combinations in fork axle don't play well together in terms of compatibility

Other then that, this wheelset is almost 4yrs old and they still are amazingly smooth, so kudos to Bontrager.
The duster rims were still true, and easy to set up tubeless with Bontrager own plastic rimtape.
I did not know what rimtape to use, so I experimented with a-symmetric and symmetric rimtape. Both worked, but the symmetric seems to hold air a little better.
I used Bontrager Mud-TLR's, and recently switched out the front for a beefier Continental Mountain King 2.4. In order to set this one up tubeless I needed to put some electrical tape underneath the plastic Bontrager tape.

Similar Products Used: 2009 Gary Fisher X-caliber 29er
Bustedup   Cross Country Rider [Oct 14, 2010]
Strength:

Fork, Best That I have ever riden. Can be adjusted for any rider with any riding style.I guess thats what you get with forks in the $1000 price range. Weighs 4 ponds

Seat was hard as a rock. It lasted 2 rides and I switched to a softer seat.

I love this bike. There are 6 Mt. bikes in the garage.Two 20 year old kids living at home. The 69'r is the one that I ride the most. Fork is super plush and has a lock out that works good. It also has rebound adjustment by lock out on top right side for quick easy adjustments. This fork eats up everything. Stock tires work very good on both hard pack and soft damp trails.They also do good in mud(Good choice Trek). IT needs very little maintance(clean and lube the chain) and I love the no noise when riding the 69r single speed(No chain bouncing or sticks in rear derailer) Lock the fork and it goes right up hills. Fast on downhills, not twitchie at all. Inspires confidents. Looks awsome with lots of people wanting to check it out on the trails. My other bikes are collecting dust.

Similar Products Used: Been riding full suspension for last 15 years. Schwin,K2,Fuji, GT, Iron Horse. all full suspension
Tom the bomb   Weekend Warrior [Jan 31, 2010]
Strength:

Super stiff bb, Best looking bike I have ever seen, 69r design, great chain tensioning design.

Maverick fork No comp damp or lock out .
Blew seals and had garage works work their magic , very nice, heavy 27 lbs with use sus seat post.

Fun bike , climbs well power to the dirt, geometry is good and great chain tensioning system . Don't have to deal with ebb. Wish it was 4 lbs lighter.

Similar Products Used: lenz 29r behemoth
Longbow   Weekend Warrior [Jan 25, 2009]
Strength:

Without a doubt - the Maverick fork.

Though it looks good, the stock saddle. I only made a half of a day on my first ride & went to the nearest bike shop & replaced it.

I decided to dive into the world of single speed & figured that this bike would meet my needs. Plus, the dealer couldn't move it after 18 months, so I got it new for $1600. This bike has been a blast each & every time out. I like everything about the way it handles & rides, not to mention the remarks that others make after just one look - all good. I am looking forward to when the tires wear so that I can replace them with Nevegal's, but until then the Jones' are fine. I don't see me riding my geared bike anytime soon & even thinking of selling it - hooked on single speeding.

Similar Products Used: Trek 8500 hardtail.
early adopter   Weekend Warrior [Dec 15, 2008]
Strength:

geometry, 29er front, 26 rear, sweet, simple, best of both worlds, stiff, quick, front fork, awesome color and intimadating appearance.

front fork, a tad heavy,

I first demoed and then bought the 2007 full suspension 69er. I used it on my regular loop and the ride started to get too easy. Loving the 69er set up, I got the single speed and have not looked back since. The bike rocks. I am the envy of my friends. All have tried my bike, then purchased 29er single speeds to enjoy yet not as much as this one. The 26 rear really makes a difference in the tight turns and when powering up a climb. It also makes for a very intimidating appearance.

The fork is awesome, yet a bit temperamental, I did blow a seal which evidently happens more often on this fork than most others. It is still worth it as when it is dialed in, it is plush!

The bike is a bit heavy for a $2000+ single speed. The fork weighs a bit more than normal but worth it. With the ergon grips, computer, bell, XTR spd pedals and a bit of dirt, the bike weighs in around 24 pounds. (my full suspension 69er is 26.5 pounds).

Using this bike has made a better stronger rider.

Similar Products Used: Fisher rig-good. Fisher Super Fly Carbon - Awesome for full 29er.