Specialized Hardrock SS Disc Singlespeed

Hardrock SS Disc

Charlie Chao   Cross Country Rider [Dec 01, 2008]
Strength:

Single speed is easy to maintain. Frame is burly and will withstand significant drops. Wide handlebars and geometry inspire confidence.

Very heavy, nearly impossible to ride trails without changing many parts. Fork is built for drops, not very responsive otherwise.

It rides reasonably well, tough enough for the most abusive of riders. Requires many parts to ride anywhere other than urban. I've really become accustomed to this bike and like the geometry quite a bit. Put at least 1,000 miles on it this season and the only problem that I've had is a bolt loosening on the cranks.

Similar Products Used: 99 Giant XTC, 94 Litespeed Obed
Doug C   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2007]
Strength:

Priced well, good spec,darn-near indestructible, made the transition from bmx to mtn biking nice and easy.

Fork was so-so but held up to stair landings 10 stair drops, xc riding and some bad cases and the dirt jumps. The brakes need upgraded, but they work well enough. Everything else took it like a champ.

The stock seat is bent to heck and the bottom bracket bearings hate me and groan and pop. I don't think I have ever spent 450 dollars on anything better.

Similar Products Used: First 'real' mtn bike was a huge motobecane 300ht and I hated it. The hardrock made riding a mtn bike much more fun.
Matt   Downhiller [Aug 28, 2007]
Strength:

Bomb Crank! Great Frame! Nice Look

Fork is Decent

Great Starter Bike! That's What I Use Mine For. Looking To get a Kona Stuff In A couple Years After I Get Better And My Hardrock Is Done

Similar Products Used: Some Miele Piece
Cory Alanthwaite   [Apr 10, 2007]
Strength:

Bang for you buck. the frame just wont Die ! great breaks .light. Bomb crank .

chain, nut busting seat ! weak ditch withc rims. quik relase but thats minor.

9. 87 / 10

pure bomb !

all around great bike.

the best bike per dollar ratio.

Similar Products Used: came form bmx dirt racing , free agent hellcat.
Andy   [Mar 29, 2007]
Pros: -
Cons: -
Price: -   New/Used: -    Model Year: -
Logan   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2004]
Strength:

looks cool, tires are pretty solid; more travel than my hardtail XC race bike.

Chain derailment every 60', and/or every hill, upon adding torque.

bottom line is: if you can't peddle it, it's not a bike, and it's no fun! The few times, and couple feet I did get to ride the thing, it seemed like it would be a lively, kick-in-the-pants ride. But the chain consistently gets thrown, thus rendering the bike useless, and me a hiker -- not a bad thing, but I'd have brought my dogs if I'd known I was going for a hike instead of a ride. Had to return the bike. Pity. Now I'm using my hartail XC racer in mid-ring five, w/out shifting, to immitate the training aspect of a S.S.

Similar Products Used: none; had high hopes of lots of fun (for under $600) --- seriously dashed.
Ian Hass   Downhiller [Jul 06, 2005]
Strength:

*Affordability
*Strength and Ridgidity
*Stock Freewheel is flawless
*Stock stem/handlebars seem to hold up well...
*A SOLID performing platform for whatever your dream hardtail may be!

*Stock Chain Tensioner (Take ONE short ride, pedal hard/quickly. You will soon understand.)
*Stock brake levers are of a very simple design, provide fair to poor modulation, however, very ridgid and have good power transfer.
*Stock saddle is NOT intended for aggressive use. Urban/downhill/freeriders will replace their broken saddle shortly after buying.
*Marzocchi MZ fork. A good xc fork, not good for any kind of aggressive riding. After 1 year, you can measure the flex of my lowers in centimetres (nearly inches!)

This bike is AWESOME for an entry-level singlespeed. The new '05 models have horizontal fork ends in lieu of vertical dropouts, so the problems with the tensioner are aleviated. Good XC trainer. I have turned mine into an Urban killing machine, and it took surprisingly litte to do it. If you have enough money, and want something a little more suited to aggressive riding, buy a P.1. Otherwise, this is singlespeed for you!

Similar Products Used: *Redline Monocog
*Specialized P.1
Chad ament   Downhiller [Jun 25, 2005]
Strength:

Very strong,single speed simplicity,no rear derail to smash on things,disc brakes

MZ comp Fork bottoms out on drops over eleven feet four inches(aprox).

Well i got this bike to huck around on and it is super fun and rolls over anything,with 2.5 tires you have to be a huge wuss to need Rear suspension, i've hit drops of over twelve feet with this hardtail.grow up and get skills. we also Had DEMO 0 Custom painted on our bikes as a spoof of the specialized demo 9 and 8,its funny,laugh. sweet bike.

Similar Products Used: nothing like it baby!
jacob   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2005]
Strength:

Good and stiff frame. Can double as a street bike as well as an xc bike. My 2004 model came with Sun rims and a Truvativ Hussefelt crank set with a dh bottom bracket.

Weak chain tensioner. But I ditched it so..

Nice parts for the money. Good start to the world of single speed. now where's the beer

Lee Super T   Weekend Warrior [May 18, 2005]
Strength:

inexpensive for what you get, a nice entry to singlespeed, disc brakes

can't think of any other than you can only get 1 color - dark blue with red flame - but that's not much of a weakness

I love this bike. All the chain skipping problems others have mentioned seem to be a thing of the past with the 2005 model. No tensioner. This is a true singlespeed with track ends. Rides like a dream. Not too heavy. Looks beautiful. Ample travel. Quality components. And the Specialized lifetime guarantee on the frame. This is a true singlespeed and the only bike I ride. For the price I paid, and with the quality of the bike and its components, I feel like I made out like a bandit. All my friends want one.