Soma Fabrications 4one5 Singlespeed

Our new single-speed hardtail frame. This detours from our "versatility is beautiful" mantra, but fun is beautiful, too. You can have lots of fun when you don't have to think about changing gears.

• Reynolds 631 air hardened steel front triangle; butted CrMo rear end
• Geometry designed to accomadate a 3" travel fork
• Int'l disc brake tabs (rear)
• Custom horizontal dropouts
• S-bend seatstays and chainstays
• Rigid CrMo steel fork available (specify canti or disc)
• 1-1/8" size headtube
• 27.2mm post size
• Colors: Matte Powder Black
• Wt: 4.5 lbs. (15")
• Sizes: 15, 17, 19, 21" (Center to top)

chris   [Jan 29, 2006]
Strength:

Steel, Geometry, Price, Looks

None so far

I was going to hold off on this review until I owned the bike for 3+ months, but I honestly couldn't wait to share the love.
This bike rules! I'm 5'10 260 lbs. When I crash it is a scene out of a Peter Jackson movie... So I had my first major wreck on my soma this past week. Tore myself up something bad. If this same wreck happened on my dualie, it woulda been in the shop, no doubt. (Actually, I have not ridden my dualie at all this year and I've been riding the soma at least 3x per week) Expecting that something bad happened to the bike I almost freaked out to find nothing wrong at all. Not even a friggin scratch. I'm not BS-ing. So here it is: It rides really nice. The geometry is great. It looks hot. I'm simply in love. If you are thinking about trying out a soma, stop thinking and do it.

Similar Products Used: This is my first ss.
OVERALL
Spencer   Cross Country Rider [Nov 26, 2006]
Strength:

Very Strong, Clean design, Powdercoated paint is very durable, Great color

V-Brake posts aren't removable, fork that was sold with this frame didn't match (shiny black, not matte like the frame, a quick fix with a rattlecan solved this)

I went for this bike because I was looking for a strong steel frame that would last a long time. So far, I've got absolutely no complaints about the performance or the strength of the frame. My only annoyance is that the v-brake posts aren't removable which has no effect on performance but is just an aesthetic problem. I have taken several tough tumbles on this frame and have not been able to scratch the powdercoat yet. I would definitely reccomend this frame to anyone looking for an alternative to one of the other similarly priced steel framemakers out there. The rigid setup is not for everyone but, fortunately, the frame is suspension corrected for those who want some forgiveness in their fork.