Salsa Cycles Juan Solo Singlespeed

The Scandium frame is crafted with vertical dropouts and ISO disc tabs to keep things clean and uncomplicated, while the Bushnell eccentric bottom bracket takes up the chain slack.

Jeremy   Racer [Mar 27, 2006]
Strength:

Light, stiff, plenty of rear wheel clearance for 2.4" tires, very nice overall build quality, and low cost

None so far...just pay attention the EBB, grease it often and your good to go!

Very quiet and reliable setup. I put this bike together as a winter training/riding machine, but it has quickly become my main steed. Frame is stiff, yet doesn't transmit all the bumps/vibrations that a normal aluminum frame would. This was the first hardtail that I just felt "right" on from the first pedal stroke. I've run it in the above setup since putting it together just before winter and have yet to change/replace/upgrade any parts what-so-ever. Amazing bike overall, I ride it several times a week (nights, w/e...in all types of weather conditions) and I simply spray it down with water and lube it for the next outing!

Similar Products Used: Jericho, Surly 1x1, Cannondale 1fg, Gary Fisher Rig, etc.
Mike Oxlong   Racer [Mar 16, 2006]
Strength:

-Weight (scandium + carbon)
-Ride (Super smooth, and only a little flexy compared to 1fg)
-Geometry
-"BLING"

only thing I have a gripe about is the poor paint job, it is very thing and after the first night ride i had already worn into the paint with the battery straps

Well, ive been riding my whole life and most people thinkg "damn you put that much money into a single speed frame?" and i can proudly say yes becuase it is deff worth the money. super light and super smooth trick. it might sound like a lot but it is one of the best frames out there...and its a Salsa...so what else can you say?

Similar Products Used: a few
Dylan   Cross Country Rider [Jan 29, 2007]
Strength:

-light, stiff
-responisve
-geometry & short wheelbase

-the EBB is a good idea but no matter what I do to it, it still creaks
-thin paint job
-has to be retrofitted to run hydraulic brakes, Avid BB-5's are good but noisy and wear quickly

This bike is well suited to anyone who is seeking a very snappy, light, and fast bike for XC or racing. The frame is very stiff yet the ride doesn't suffer horribly. Larger volume tires take a little more of the edge off the really gnarly stuff and the frame leaves plenty of room to accomodate them. The frame is very traditionally laid out but it makes for a quick and short wheelbase that handles very well. A killer ride at a reasonable price.

Similar Products Used: 1FG, GUSS
Yukio   Cross Country Rider [Oct 15, 2005]
Strength:

Light stiff frame; decals protected by clear coat; ride quality is supreme

Joint maintenance; creaks if you don't lubricate the joint. Annoying.

SS's are general taller in geometry; this is no different; my bike is a 22 seatpost; I'm 6'2" and 210; I use a set back seatpost and a 120 stem to dial my position in. This bike rolls as smooth as a hardtail will allow you. Best ride in this category that I have ridden. The joint where the chain stay connects to the seat stay needs to be lubricated to drown the annoying sound of metal rub. Do this and you're golden.

Similar Products Used: Surly 1X1; Santa Cruz Chameleon; 1fg
Dan Des Rosiers   [Nov 09, 2006]
Strength:

Light and very precise on technical trail. Very little lost of energy in the stiff frame while climbing

Thin pain job but who cares

I have been riding a Fix Gear roadie for ever, the switch to a SS was just a natural progression for me. The bike is truly a amazing machine. The BB stop creaking when dirty only. DONT CLEAN the BB and the noise will go away. Weird but true for me.

Steve   Weekend Warrior [Oct 03, 2006]
Strength:

Light, stiff yet absorbent frameset

Doesn't come in a 17" size, bought an 18 which is a tiny bit larger than I want. I just like more Top tube clearance.

Total weight is 21.4 lbs, more than 3 lbs lighter than my Redline. Descends nicely although a bit twitchier than I would like. It really climbs well and I finally dialed in my positioning where I feel most comfortable. At $200 on Ebay for a new frame, how else can I lose. Great investment. EBB was kinda of weird to get used to., Had a problem finding the right combination of chain links to use with the EBB. Handles very nice and very absorbent of rough terrain.

Similar Products Used: Redline Monocog. Great Frame, just too heavy at near 6 lbs for just the frame. In comparison, the Salsa is just over 3 lbs
Eldon   Racer [Sep 14, 2006]
Strength:

Stiff, Extremely Fast, Very Light

This bike is the baddest bike I have ever ridin and it weights in at 21lbs. If you want a singlespeed race frame this is your frame.Large frame weighted on digital scale 3.15lbs.

Similar Products Used: KHS Solo One
Mitch   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2005]
Strength:

Light, reasonably stiff frame. Clean welds and carbon transitions. EBB allows use of QR rear wheel and no need to readjust disc brake when making tension adjustment on the chain. Comes with aluminum water bottle bolts and touch up paint. Can always be converted to gears in a pinch, but why?

Old school sizing. Bikes are relatively short and tall, unlike todays more common-lower and longer geometry. I like a 23" top tube which would be the 20" frame-center of bb to top of top tube, I had to go with an 18" and deal with a short top tube. I wish the frame was disc specific. Provided plugs for brake bosses don't fit frame.

EBB does take some getting used to. I've read several reviews that complain of a difficulty making adjustments. The adjustment bolt must be losened until it binds and then tapped inward much like the bolt of a quill type stem. Once the wedge is broken free losen the bolt again and you can spin the bb by hand. I carry a 3/8" dowel rod (and find a rock) to tap the bolt with (you may have to tap it from the drive side depending on which wedge needs to be freed up). The other thing many people forget to do is completely dissassemble the EBB (before the cranks and bb are even installed) and grease all surfaces. This will allow it to tighten up with less torque on the bolt, allow easier adjustments, and prevent it from siezing. There are good directions on Salsa's web site, just look under components and then frame parts to find the EBB.

Similar Products Used: SASS
Jonathan Dickie   Cross Country Rider [Mar 28, 2005]
Strength:

Light frame, looks good, eccentric BB makes chain tension adjustment easy, but...

Eccentric BB can be difficult to set up.

Great frame to build up a light SS bike. This was a project bike intended for bad weather biking during the late fall and early spring when mud and snow can foul and wear out a geared drivetrain and suspension components, and where v-brakes are rendered useless by the water and ice. However, I've ended up using it more than my other bikes, two hardtails and an AC1, because it's so freakin' light. Even my road bike seems heavier while climbing.