Redline Monocog 26 Singlespeed

26" cousin of the original Monocog.

• Frame: Full 4130 Chromoly, 135mm Rear Spacing, Disc Tabs
  • Fork: Full 4130 Chromoly, Disc Tabs
  • Crank: SRAM 5D Alloy 33T w/ Guard
  • Wheels: Alex DH 19 32H Rims w/ QR SB Hubs, stainless Spokes
  • Brakes: Tektro 8396 Linear Pull
  • Tires: Kenda Nevegal 26 x 2.2

• User Reviews (74)

Jones   Cross Country Rider [Sep 25, 2012]
    Strength:

decent/good frame

noisy, single speed skips and jumps, overall pretty cheap and rickety

It seems that I'm alone on this but my 26 Monocog has been a total disappointment.

I was genuinely excited about this bike and really wanted to like it. Universally people seem to love it. I don't get it. Maybe I got a lemon (if that exists with bikes). I ride mine on the street mostly and uphill for workouts. VERY low impact rides, yet it seemed to need a serious tune-up after every outing. I think it's a piece of garbage. It would be laughed off any trail if it even made it there. Decent frame sure, but all of the components are crap. And those aren't my words. That's straight from almost every mechanic I've had look at it, which is very different compared to the rave reviews online. The only guys/gals that seem to love it that I've talked to have simply customized everything (or much of it). Overall it's just a normal/good frame made ridable with some of the cheapest parts available.

Rad Rider 415   Racer [Jul 13, 2011]
    Strength:

Rides great right out of the shop. I have added Avid BB7 brakes which are a MUST! I bought a leftover one from 05' and its the nice aluminum flight version.

Nothing so far. My 2nd redline and I will prob buy another.

You can't beat this bike for the price! It may look ugly and heavy but theres something about the bike that makes me love it. Racy feel like a BMX bike but just bigger.

Similar Products Used: 2010 Redline D440 29er.
    steel city trailer   Racer [Jul 10, 2011]
    Strength:

extremeley durable bike.Stands up well to harsh punishment.very low maintenance,easy to maintain.quick and responsive,fun to ride.Makes you a stronger rider.

A bit heavy.Rims are easy to get out of true.

joy to ride. never go back to full suspension.I enjoy the responsiveness,ease of maintenance,simplicity,challenging nature of the single speed.awesome bike.

Similar Products Used: 2005 specialized FSR XC comp (full suspension)
    Cormac   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2011]
    Strength:

cheap, single speed, very low maintenance, chromaly

heavy, ok brakes, geared a little too high, shifters dont work :P

This is a great SS and i use it just as much as my jet 9. My only problem is that it is geared a little too high at 32x17 and i got a niner 20 tooth cog which solved my problem. this bike has opened up my mind and made me realize that i really only need one cog.

Great bike

Similar Products Used: niner jet 9, cannondale caffeine 29er, gary fisher superfly
    LEARNTOTANGO   Downhiller [Jul 29, 2010]
    Strength:

Chromoly 100%, a high carbon steel, making this ride stronger, lighter and stiffer than less pure steel frames. The cycle is aggressive, and the welds are fairly burly. Horizontal dropouts are crucial for ss riding. SS = extremely minimal upkeep. Easily customized. Looks extremely clean and mean.

The seat post is 29.0, a fairly uncommon size. This frame is mass-produced, not hand made. You may need some device to keep the chain taught, or deep enough into the drop outs(recommended for all single speeds w/horizontal dropouts).

I bought the frame for only 100! Don't buy this bike complete, spend the extra $ and dress her up nice. This frame is miles ahead of any in it's price range. Some may call it heavy and jarring, I call it strong and responsive. In fact it's miles ahead most frames up to $400 and beyond! You can set it up with cushy forks, rigid, fix the cog, ride urban, trails and even light downhill. It's bulletproof, you will not break it unless your jumping something massive, ehh even then it'll surprise you. This is the all around best first-timers 29r ss bike out there.

Similar Products Used: BMX bikes of all kinds, varied hardtail trail rides. GT peace.
    Bill   Weekend Warrior [Jun 22, 2010]
    Strength:

High reliability! Ditching the gears and the rear suspension was the best thing I ever did for my biking pleasure.

Headset. I had to replace the stock headset after 12 months. Everything else has been rock solid.

Awesome awesome bike! I have a $2500 Specialized Enduro Expert and never ride it because this one is so much fun. A few minor tweaks and upgrades and you have a massively fun, nearly indestructible bike.

Similar Products Used: Lots of average mountain bikes. This is my first 29er single speed.
    periwinklekog   Racer [Jan 31, 2010]
    Strength:

Excellent frame geometry with reasonably short wheelbase offers good combination of nimbleness and stability. The 26" wheeled version feels like a slightly lighter-weight BMX bike for Big People. Steel construction feels strong, inspired confidence without feeling klunky. Stock parts are decent enough to start with but you'll definitely want to upgrade if you plan to ride this a lot.

Syncros flat bar with 31.8 clamp size -- not my ideal choice in reach or shape, had to go asap. Also, my bike was factory-assembled WITHOUT lube on the BB and crank bolt threads AND was installed with too much torque, which made removal a nightmare. I *almost* had to destroy the Drive-side crankarm to remove it!

Great bike for the money, great ride quality, excellent value for an entry-level rider wanting to get into singlespeed. Rides really well, with just the right conbination of nimbleness and stability. Stock parts are decent enough to start with but if you upgrade right away you can probably sell the stock parts and make a little money back on your investment.

Kenny301   Weekend Warrior [Sep 12, 2009]
    Strength:

Compliant steel frame and fork, quick handling, stable ride, WTB Exiwolfs stock,

Stock bar grips are thin and slip, only comes with V brakes.

I picked up this bike as my first foray into 29ers, single speeds, and full rigid bikes. That being said, this thing is a hoot to ride! I think that I am faster on this bike than I ever was on my geared 26" hard tail Jamis Trail X3 or the BMC Super Stroke I built up. The BMC is not really a worthy comparison because it is not really meant for climbing.

I have no problem going over rooty and rocky sections of trail and after a few rides I stopped getting arm and shoulder pain not only because my upper body strength improved but I began to pick better lines, which is absolutely necessary on a rigid bike.

We are living in a disk brake world now and I think that all mountain bikes should come standard with them. I have never ridden this bike with the stock V brakes but given my rides on other bikes, disks are the way to go.

The wheels and hubs are decent; however, it seemed that the wheels were out of true relatively quickly. The stock tires are great for the trails I ride most often.

I also read on other reviews that there is issue with the stock saddle. Most of the trails I ride are up or down with little flat area. I spend most of my time out of the saddle mashing uphill or descending.

Overall, I think this bike is great and I see myself keeping it for a long time.

Similar Products Used: I guess my Huffy Mudslinger I had as a kid because it was also full rigid, though not a single speed and certainly not a 29er.
    Shamus275   Cross Country Rider [Aug 25, 2009]
    Strength:

Sweet 4130 Steel frame

Stock seat sucks, grips, stock tubes refuse to hold air...

I bought this frame a couple years ago and its sat in the box in storage for almost 4 years! Anyway, swapped over my components from the aluminum flight and I gotta say the ride is much better!!! Butter smooth I'd call it. I wish I'd would have bought this one first and saved my tailbone from 4 years of riding the aluminum one. If you're gonna buy one go for the steel, you won't regret it. Get back to your kid roots and enjoy riding again!

Similar Products Used: Redline Monocog Flight 2005 model.
    civusamericanus   Weekend Warrior [Aug 23, 2009]
    Strength:

Solid frame! Great price!

Ummm None!

(Often catch myself staring at it saying I love my bike!!!)I love this bike, it goes over anything, and hasn't failed me yet! This is a SS, so don't expect to win races on straight aways, but if you like to have fun and get some air on a big BMX, this bike rocks! I eat up hills with no problems and often pass my friends using their granny gear. I plan to upgrade to disc brakes and perhaps a Reba shock in the future. If I was going to buy a geared bike I'd likely go with the Redline D440, but I just don't see any reason for gears so far! I hate the sound a geared bike makes after a big jump, I enjoy the silence and simplicity of a single speed! Buy a Monocog, you won't regret it!

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper converted into single speed, Origin-8 Scout 29er