Phil Wood SS frame Singlespeed

Phil Wood SS frame Singlespeed

Frame Steel: Phil Select H-T Tubing
Frame Size: 13.5", 16", 18.5"
Frame Weight: 4.82 lbs

[May 29, 2009]
Jllaclair

Strength:

The frame is very nice and is comfortable to ride. I like the eccentric bottom bracket and overall I feel it is a light steel frame.

This is a really nice SS frame. It doesn't beat your body and is more forgiving than a stiff aluminum frame. I like the eccentric bottom bracket for the fact you can adjust how far forward or back you like your cranks to be in the frame. After seeing the retail price, i think I will keep the bike a little cleaner!

Bianchi Guss - Aluminum

[Jun 05, 2008]
djm2122

Strength:

Weight (4lb for a big guy)
handling
workmanship

Old 22mm hayes mount wont let me update the brakes

Its a great bike! This is the longest I have ever owned a bike and have no intention on parting ways. The guys at Phil are great to work with if there are any problems. Even though they outsourced the frame (mine is by Sycip).

Soulcraft, Fisher, Salsa, Moots

[Feb 07, 2007]
Jeff

Strength:

Very fun.

Not sure yet

I probably would not have even looked into a single speed but a friend of mine was selling the bike and said "just take it and ride it for a couple of days" He might have just given me a bag of crack and said "here, go smoke this for a week" I rode it everyday that week but had made up my mind after the second ride. I can't say a lot about how this compares to other hard tails since I haven't ridden one since my 1987 Diamond Back Apex but this thing is really fun to ride. The way is rails corners is what stands out the most. My favorite kind of riding is fast curvy single track with a flow and this bike is perfect for that. People told me that riding a single speed/hard tail would make me a better rider and it really has. You end up picking better lines and working on maintaining rhythm and speed. Getting in better shape and saving the drive train of my geared bike in the winter were the main reasons for getting a single speed. I hadn't expected to enjoy the down hilling as much as I have. I bought it on a whim but doubt I will ever sell it. Fun bike. BTW, I'm still saying this after the initial "new bike high" has worn off. ;-) Value? Who knows, good bikes cost money.

This is my first single speed

[Jan 15, 2006]
FoShizzle

Strength:

Build quality, EBB design, looks, Customer Service

None worth noting

When coming upon section that did require some more momentum on the uphill, the bike definitly acclerated much quicker than other 26" single speeds I have tried/owned. The geometry is very nice and the frame is EXTREMELY compliant.

I intentionally did not build it up silly light as I wanted a bike that could take some abuse while riding with my non SS friends....and it does that and more. I mean C'mon, it is a single speed so it aint gonna be too heavy regardless so needless to say, I am ecstatic about the build almost a year later. Literally my only complaint is the rear tire which provided very weak traction....I am getting a new tire this week....finally.

The bike kicks butt on the downs and to this day, I still cant get over how compliant it is. I kind of hate this word but i am gonna use it....."flickable"; the bike is definitely flickable and just makes me feel like I can navigate through anything.

Thanks Brent (and Sycip) for building such a sweet frame! And of course thanks Larry for putting together yet another very sweet build for a more than satisfied customer.

Ninerbikes One 9, On-One Inbred 29er, Surly 1x1