KHS Solo One Singlespeed

skippingdiscman   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2009]
Strength:

The price! Very light and strong. Kenda Karma tires are awesome and very light. TV cranks are good quality.

Headset needs tightening every few weeks. Needs somekind of chain tensioner. Freewheel is cheap.

The solo-one is an excellent entry-level single-speed for the money. I bought mine back in July 2007 and I'd say it's taken quite a bashing since then. Mine is the red 2006 hardtail model. Even with a stock rigid fork I've taken it through hard rocky descents, 6inches of slime mud, jumping whoop-dee-doos, slamming it into curbs and pot holes, and just plain long dusty loose gravel trails, with no major issues. The only real issue I have with it, is that the headset does get slightly loose after a few weeks of hard riding. I've put many miles and dings on this bike and it just keeps on performing. Have had no major mechanical issues with it whatsoever. My only advice if you buy one is - 1.) get somekind of chain tensioner. 2.) dump the stock freewheel and get something that will last (I've gone through 4 freewheels since I've owned this bike). 3.) Buy a KMC BMX chain (I didn't even want to take chances with the stock chain breaking, I spent the money and bought something stretch-proof and bullet proof).

Similar Products Used: Redline monocog, Trek.
moodyman05   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2009]
Strength:

This bike is very durable. I don't think I can mess this bike up if I tried. I love everything about this bike.

I love riding a single speed but didn't like the rigid front fork. My freewheel on my bike went out pretty quickly but that it is to be expected I suppose and I also bought the bike used.

The bottom line is this is a great bike for the money and if you are new to the sport of mountain biking, I couldn't find a better bike to recommend. Of course you are going to get more of a workout just because you are out of the seat more often but that's what I love about this bike.

Similar Products Used: Redline
anson04   Weekend Warrior [Sep 12, 2008]
Strength:

Good price

Crank does a little creaking but not too bad.

My first ss bike and I can't get enough. I'm a handyman and I have to keep this bike in my van just in case I feel like skipping lunch and going for a jaunt when I'm near the mountains.

Similar Products Used: I've ridden my buddy's niner ss and loved it
Ron Devin   Cross Country Rider [Jun 30, 2008]
Strength:

Decent entry-level SS MTB for the $$$. This is the first SS I have ever bought. Hardware is decent quality for the money.

No front shock. This would be a great option. Seat clamp is kind of small too. Rear wheel is hard to keep tight.

Fun bike to ride! Someone mentioned previously that it feels just like a big BMX bike. That's totally true. I feel like I'm 10 years old again everytime I find myself flying down a big hill and tackling some jumps.

Similar Products Used: Redline monocog
Jimmy Godude   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2008]
Strength:

Climbing hills on a 33/16 is great! It's just like a big BMX bike - it flies!

don't care for the seat post clamp or the handle bars - otherwise - hardware is decent for the price

Love the singlespeed life since I bought this bike. I have a 2006 (hard-tail) model and my 1st memorable experience on it was AWESOME!. I was drunk off my @ss cranking on a trail in north Denver at about 12:30am (which I often do). One single headlight was all I needed. I rode through a path by the AMC 24 theater in Westminster Colorado and a f**King pig pointed and yelled at me! I turned around real quick and got the heck out of there (geez dude, it's not like I'm holding up a nearby bank with a sawed-off shotgun!). I started home on a 5 mile bike path and next thing I know, there's a bike cop tailing me (pretty far behind too). He tailed me almost all the way (about 1000 feet behind) until we got to a nice hill behind a college, then I roasted his donut snarfing @ss. I could see the pig at the bottom of the hill huffin' & puffin' downshifting trying to make it on his 27 speed Trek, poor basr@rd! I turned off my headlight and kept on riding towards home. I felt great and my KHS made it happen! LOL!!!

Similar Products Used: Trek 800 sport - HEAVY!
Eric Warburton   Weekend Warrior [Sep 21, 2007]
Strength:

Relatively light weight, beautiful welds for a frame in this price range, Reynolds tubing provides a compliant ride and is usually unheard of in frames priced this low, the shock takes the edge off rocky or rooty trails without being overly intrusive, simple and clean design and graphics, can fit 2.4" tires in frame.

In order to fit 2.4 tires, you must run the rear axle near the back of the dropouts (not a problem if you dont mind a lond rear end).

This review is for the frame only: I found a 2003 Solo One frame on E-Bay for $90.00 woth shipping included. The pics were fuzzy, and I expected it to be a slob of a frame for this price. When it arrived, I was happy to see that it was a nearly new condition.

I've ridden my Solo One only a few times so far, but the improvement over my aluminum single speed is tremendous. The shock has just enough give to take the edge off of the bumps, which my knees and back are greatful for. The shock doesn't move enough to be a detriment on climbs, and it allows you to run higher presure in the rear while maintaining comfort. This equates to less rolling resistance and more speed.

The top tube seems to be longer than most frames of this size, but I prefer a very short reach stem, so this works out perfectly for me.

Since I am an old BMXer who is abussive to my parts, I have my bike set up accordingly, with some strong but heavy parts. Although my bike tips the scale at a stout 25lbs, it would be very possible to set it up as a fairly light race machine.

Overall, it's very hard to find a good single speed frame in this price range, and another soft tail in this range simply does not exist.

This is a very versitile bike that anyone can enjoy weather they are: an old BMXer looking to upsize, a first time single speeder, a commuter (with a simple cog swap), or a racer (with a few upgrades). You can't loose with this bike. The frame is of a high enough quality to warrant some higher end upgrades.

***VERY IMPORTANT*** Single speed riding puts a lot of stress on a chain, which leads to stretch and breakage. In my 20+ years of working on bikes, I have found one chain to be superior to all the others (and there are many who agree with me). Do yourself a favor and ask your LBS to order you a KMC 610hx chain. They are about $15, 3/32 single speed specific, and are virtually stretch proof.

Similar Products Used: Trek 6000 converted to a fully rigid single speed.
jay Reitz   Cross Country Rider [Mar 30, 2007]
Strength:

I beat this bike to blithering bits yall, and its still screaming. I didn't really know what the soft tail would be like or if it would stand the test of time; but it made my bum quite a bit happier, and has lasted three years with out much maintainance at all. Most of the riding was in Arizona tough and technical both.

Comes with low caste componenets, but they'll get you bye and take a beating. It's more the rider that makes the bike anyway right!

if you want something cheeeep, that ll get you through the night; this bike is more than alright.

Similar Products Used: Coconino Cycles
Nelson   Racer [Oct 03, 2006]
Strength:

This review is for 2006 model, which is not a soft tail.Great price, steel frame gives a great riding experience and good components, except for the brakes. I was very impressed with this bike on my first ride in one of Puerto Rico’s most technical trail. I ended up riding for 2 hours because I was having a lot of fun.

Brakes and seat post clamp (too weak)

I bought this bike for training purposes and I think it will serve this purpose just fine. Plus the challenge of riding a SS uphill is a lot of fun.

Similar Products Used: None, I ride a Cannondale Scalpel
Gratin Smith   Weekend Warrior [Feb 01, 2004]
Strength:

Softtail is very comfortable without compromising momentum.

Seatpost slips some. The Kona tires that came on the bike have little tread, not good for mud or wet conditions.

Great so far. I am used to riding a full suspension geared bike (Blur) and have been pleasantly suprised at the comfort of the steel frame of the KHS Solo One. The price of a complete bike (less pedals) for less than $500 is phenomenal. I recommend this bike for anyone wanting to get into single speed riding.

Similar Products Used: Before purchasing, I test rode various other single speeds including Surly, Santa Cruz Chameleon and custom built bikes.
Mad Matt   Weekend Warrior [Apr 12, 2004]
Strength:

This is a follow up - still a great value, fun bike. Tires are great, Kenda Kharma.

Weak chain. creaked at first, but that went away, I had to add Tuggnut tensioner on drive side it should have been stock.

This is a follow up I've had this bike for several months now and I like it a lot. I dumped the Rock Sux pilot fork that I had on it initially in favor of a Marzocchi MX pro.

I don't feel like the small amount of travel significantly hurts efficiency, but it does help smooth the ride.

I did have trouble keeping chain tension and added a TuggNut to the drive side. I still had trouble and knew my wheel was not slipping. Yesterday after a ride with some hard climbing, my chain was loose again. My LBS checked it and showed me where it had stretched several mm, more in some places than others. I replaced it with a Wipperman chain. It could be that there is a slight change in distance from the chainring to the cog when the chainstays flex on the softtail that is a factor in the quick failure of the chain (under 150 miles) I hope the problem was just a cheap stock chain too weak for the torque generated by a 245# guy grinding up hills.