Gunnar Ruffian Singlespeed

Geometry:
The no nonsense Ruffian shares the Rockit TM geometry of the Rockhound, adapted with an eccentric bottom bracket and vertical dropouts using 135mm rear spacing for single speed hubs. The front end geometry is set to accommodate 80mm travel forks. Just like the Rockhound,TM the rider is placed in an aggressive cross country position, ideal for climbing, nimble technical work and descents. Fixed gear or freewheel, with or without brakes, any combination, this warrior is at home in the crush of the city, early season training rides or roller riding.

Tubing:
Waterford exclusive OS2 butted tube sets, featuring True Temper OX Platinum air-hardening steel alloys, custom drawn to our rigorous specs. Toptube and downtube are flared at the head tube for greater surface contact and rigidity. Tubeset specifications vary by frame size to offer riders of all sizes the strength and stiffness they need.

MSRP: $925 frame only

c7train   Racer [Sep 27, 2010]
Strength:

Great construction. Gunnar cares about their work and it shows in the ride quality.

I have heard the paint chips easliy, but have not seen it on this frame. Other than that, none.

This bike rides fantastic. I have only been on it a few rides and it already feels like I have been riding it forever. It is so smooth and handles great. The 73mm BB is nice and stiff. I read somewhere that Gunnar uses Reynolds 853 tubing for these frames, whatever they use, it's perfect. The long rear chainstays (18") scared me a bit at first, but this thing climbs really well, keeps traction in the loose stuff! 71.5 degree head angle handles downhills with confidentce, but does not feel like your in the backseat. BB height is right on, not too high, and they don't sell their bikes based on low BB geometry...I have not hit a pedal yet (though I am sure I will). If you need a simple, quality frame with extreme attention to detail, and outstanding geomtetry, this bike would work for you. It is not about bling, it is about keeping bike riding fun and fast. People are more likely to say "What's a Gunnar???" rather than wondering how you afforded it or why you chose this or that. Enough rambling, buy one.

Similar Products Used: Redline monocog 29er
ssrg   Cross Country Rider [Oct 08, 2008]
Strength:

good geometry for me and buttery steel, SS, 29er, sliding DO

none yet

most fun i've ever had on dirt, fully rigid, ss, 29er action at its purest. best bike i've ever owned.
never thought i'd like SS and i love it. nothing better than 29er. i went small (17") but like it. gunnar frame seems like good quality after a summer of riding this thing everywhere i want to go.

Similar Products Used: redline monocog 29er
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Jul 30, 2008]
Strength:

Handling is intuitive. Has a low BB and a very mild manner in twisty stuff. Rewards speed with a floaty sensation that transcends normal steel.

It's kind of a hoss. My 17" weighed 4.6 pounds with nothing but a coat of paint (much of which has chipped off--I should weigh it again). The paint flakes off when the frame senses danger.

When I coughed up $$$ for a boutique frame, I didn't think it would weigh this much or shed its paint this easily. Those significant gripes aside, I really do like the way the Ruffian rides. It's stiff to pedal and soft over the choppy stuff, and the handling is right at any speed, especially with the Bontrager Big Sweeps. I've raced it, I've done six hour death marches on it, I've gone to the grocery store on it, and it has become my favorite bike by far. Due to its heft and Soviet looks, I call it the War Wagon, but I love it to death and ride it four times a week or so.

I would recommend this frame to a lover of bicycles, someone who can look beyond flash to the soul of his steed. I can't really commend a 4.6 pound racing frame as a good value, especially when the paint flakes off this easily. I can commend the Ruffian as a bike you can trust, and that you will grow to respect and appreciate, especially if you're tired of the "latest greatest unobtanium" rat race.

Similar Products Used: Old Scott Team Racing from '96 (3.6 pounds of steel); various other steel and aluminum hardtails
DCB Extreme Adventures   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2008]
Strength:

Nothing rides like steel. Forgiving and suple and responsive when it's important.

It's steel, it needs TLC and maintenance.

I have been riding for a long time; this bike is the most I sould want from a single bike.

Similar Products Used: K2, Gary Fisher, Trek, Giant, SOMA, Surly
Steph   Weekend Warrior [Feb 20, 2006]
Strength:

craftsmanship, geometry, ride, & strength

If you are looking for a steel 29er single look no further. This is a great bike. Handles better than one would think a 29er would. I have been having a blast since I got it! Again this is a great bike!

Ryan   Racer [Mar 28, 2007]
Strength:

Where to begin? To call the Ruffian a frame would not do it justice. Gunnar/Waterford create works of art. The welds are perfect, the steel is superior and the bike is a screamer. The Ruffian climbs like crazy and desends like no other. The steel is so light and supple, it dampens even the roughest of trails that Northern Nevada has to offer.

I wish the frame was powder coated. I received a few tiny chips from rocks bouncing up.

Buy a Gunnar! It's the best bike I've ever ridden and it will get you laid fast!

Similar Products Used: Bianchi G.U.S.S., Surly 1x1
Eric   Weekend Warrior [Oct 25, 2006]
Strength:

1) Gorgeous welds, paint, finish, craftsmanship
2) Steel, as they say, is real
3) Superior ride, rails the trail, fun-fun-fun
4) Long top tube
5) Hand made in the U.S. (Wisconsin, no less)
6) Makes me want to ride more

That I can't really justify owning more than one...

I looked at a lot of steel SS frames & bikes (Gunnar, Spot, Soulcraft, Sycip, Surly, Seven, Independent Fab, Jamis, Kona, KHS, Bianchi) and have owned 2 others (Spot, KHS). Most of them have short top tubes (exceptions: Gunnar, Jamis, KHS). Unless you unleash the Apocalypse on your wallet and do the custom route, it's hard to find a steel SS frame with a long top tube (my preference).

My Gunnar Ruffian is a work of handbuilt art that you can ride. And ride and ride and ride. Being steel, and running tubeless, it feels like a softtail (like my previous KHS Solo One), but has the laser-crisp acceleration of a hardtail and no rear end indecisiveness. You can absolutely lay the power down and she just jumps.

As for the ride, steel just has it all over aluminum as far as ride characteristics go. There is just no comparison. None. Forgiving, goes where you point it, climbs and descends equally well. It's perfect.

Bottom line: handmade steel frame, great craftsmanship, gorgeous finish, perfect geometry, and sweet handling & ride. My Gunnar makes me want to ride more. Did I mention that it's beautiful too? What more could you ask for? Buy one.