Cannondale 1FG Headshok Singlespeed

Trees64   Cross Country Rider [Nov 12, 2009]
Strength:

2007 model is fairly light mountain bike at 24 lbs in stock condition. 33/18 gearing is great for technical trails and most climbs that you would encounter. Bike has great acceleration and climbing! Lockout super fatty headshok is solid!

None yet! (really)

Solid single speed bike! Definitely will make you a stronger rider and get better on technical sections. You need to keep your momentum all the time and stay off the brakes as much as possible. The Ultra fatty headshok is a great match for the bike - keeps it light and simple.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F600
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2007]
Strength:

The frame is exceptionally stiff. Very responsive bike. The EBB in my opinion is one of the best on the market, I have never had an issue with adjusting or creaking.

The stock brakes were a little disappointing. I sold them and bought El Caminos. The stock grips slip and spin also.

An all around great bike. This is one I will never part with. The fit is excellent, and Cannondale is a great company to do business with. As a bike mechanic, I virtually never have to do any maintainence on it. A solid buy if you are in the market for a singlespeed.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Rig: 29er singlespeed
Walter Devine   Weekend Warrior [Feb 02, 2006]
Strength:

Light, simple, adds a new level of challenge to local rides. The drop-out configuration makes it easy to convert this to a geared bike should you decide to go that route in the future. The horizontal drop-outs on most other single speeds would prevent that option.

This bike will show you your own weaknesses if you have only been riding suspended bikes for the last few years.

Expensive as a new bike, considering how little you get. At least you get the total package, all sorted out, on an excellent frame.

You will read over and how many people have tried single speeds to bring thme back to the basics of mountain biking. This bike gives you the complete set-up in a light package (about 24 lbs). The first time you climb on a single speed without the benefit of gears you will be very glad you went for a light frame. Nobody stocked any of these in San Diego, so I was very fortunate to get one in brand new condition for half price.

This is a highly recommended addition for someone looking the one accessory to add to their stable that will improve their riding for less than the cost of a high-end fork.

Find one that is getting sold by someone who wasn't up to the challenge this bike brings as soon as you start climbing.

Similar Products Used: No other single speeds, but it is a great match for the Ellsworth Id (Cross country/all mountain) and Santa Cruz VP Free (black diamond) bikes I also own.
John   Cross Country Rider [Feb 20, 2004]
Strength:

Very solid feeling bike! Eccentric bottom bracket allows verticle dropouts without a tensioner. Headshock is smooth and plush. Tracks very well. Comfortable ride for a hardtail. Lightweight - weighs in around 24 lbs with the stock 2.3 High Rollers from Maxxis. They're great by the way! This is my first single speed and I love it so far!

Pricey - but I don't feel like I got ripped off or anything. Comes with Cannondale brake levers - they suck. Will upgrade to Avids as soon as I get out of the hole. I didn't like the WTB Laser saddle that came on the bike so I switched it out for an old Fiz'ik Plateau that I had laying around.

If you're thinking of getting into single speed, and can afford it - this is an awesome bike! I give it a 4 for value - it is an expensive siglespeed. 4 overall because the stock brake levers really do blow. I've been pretty much thrilled with everything else so far.

Similar Products Used: No other single speeds. Have a 2002 Scalpel 2000
Barry   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2004]
Strength:

On-the-fly lockout on front fork, nice compact frame, cool looks, comfortable upright riding position.

Headshok less plush, and less tuneable than traditional shocks.

I have a love-hate relationship with this bike. I love the way it feels like a big BMX bike. Due to the compact frame, you can really throw it around. Also, the headshok is the perfect compliment to a singlespeed, as you can lock it out on the fly, which is good as you spend more time standing up on the pedals when climbing on a singlespeed. The Avid disc brakes are a smart addition to the parts spec. And let's face it, the "raw" paint job just looks cool.

The "hate" part comes from how completely humbling it is to attempt the same trail I can blast over on my full-suspension rig with only one gear. Of course, that is the reason I bought the bike in the first place, and I am probably a better rider for it.

My only minor gripe is the headshok. It just doesn't feel as good and plush as the Mars on my other bike, likely because the only way to alter the rebound is to change the oil in the fork. It does the job, and the lockout more than makes up for it.

All in all, this bike is a fun second bike, that is good for bombing around town, and will also make those trails which have become a little boring feel challenging once more. Two thumbs up and five chilis!

Similar Products Used: Kona Unit, Surly 1x1
Kirk   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2006]
Strength:

light and solid. headshock gives rigid fork tracking while soaking up the bumps.

eccentric not always adjustable without pulling apart BB - a minor issue.

I purchased this bike used (2003 model) after testing a new one at a local shop. The first couple of rides were not the best as the fork was out of tune. Had fork sent back to Cannondale for a rebuild and now I couldn't be happier. This bike has the solid tracking of a fully rigid bike with plenty of smooth travel up front. Overall a super-light, well thought-out and enjoyable machine.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi SISS, stock - rigid setup.
Andy   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2004]
Strength:

Frame is really stiff, the headshock is stiff and feels great, eccentric bb, the parts are excellent for the money, light, and looks awsome.

Eccentric bb, stock levers, stock ring.

I think it's a great bike, the frame is awasome, and so is the fork, this was the main reason why I chose the Cannondale. With some upgraded parts the bike feels good, the cranks really made a big diffrence over the low end Shimano ones. The wheels held up great, I weigh about 220 and I ride pretty aggresively, I rode them in Moab, and Colorado, and just kicked the $#!t out of them, I ran the presure so low, I even got the rims all scratched up, but they are still as true when I took them out of the box. My only problem is the eccentric bb, I've been having problems with it since day one. It is really hard to adjust since it is really designed for tandems, this means you can't get the set screw tight enough without taking of the cranks. It moves on me like crazy, since I'm kind of big( this might be the problem) the BB spins and makes the chain really tight or really loose. Put smaller riders might not have those problems, I mean I tacoed that stock ring after about 500 miles, it's actually pretty flimsy compared to the Salsa. The only way it will stay put is if I don't put any grease in the shell, but then it creaks like crazy, well this could also be because I'm riding a creak-n-fail, but I love it, I sold all my geared bikes and I'm not regretting it.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi SISS
Jeremy Hall   [Mar 28, 2004]
Strength:

Great frame that fits like a glove, Avid mech disc brakes, the stock Cannondale handlebar, lockout on the head shock, the WTB Laser saddle, and the simplicity of a singlespeed.

The only weak thing on the bike is me.

This bike is designed to be fast. It is light and responsive. I like the ability to lock out the head shock but I dont do it that often. I run the shock firm and it works real well. Dont know if i would like it on a geared bike but it is perfect for this bike. I find the WTB saddle very comfortable. Jury is still out on the High Rollers- might go to the Motoraptors but thats just personal preference. All said and done, this bike is fun to ride. The price may seem high for a ss but I feel it was worth every cent. Also, this bike just fits me well. If you are looking for a ss and dont want to build one; then i would highly recommend the 1FG.

Similar Products Used: First single speed
David   Weekend Warrior [Nov 17, 2004]
Strength:

Gorgeous flame paint job - gets lots of good comments. Eccentric BB beats chain tensioner - nothing for sticks to munch.

It's too pretty to get dirty! The $#@!%^ lawyer/warning sticker is UNDER the clearcoat. Damned expensive for having nowhere near as many parts as my Kona Bear!

Just bought this unit and there was no slot for a 2005 1FG yet so I posted it here.

I bought this on a whim, since I work at a Cannondale dealer and I got a good EP price. I took it out for it's initial ride last weekend: OMG, this thing beat the hell out of me.... and I loved it! Going from 27 gears and 4" of suspension to 1 *F* Gear and no rear suspension was eye-opening. What a hoot!

The frame geometry was spot-on for me - I felt completely comfortable riding over logs, bridges, boardwalks and rock gardens, despite the fact that I'd never ridden the bike (or that particular trail) before. The 2.35 Maxxis High Rollers hooked up extremely well in the sandy/loamy soil, even when I stood up to grunt my way up a hill (often!) The bike did everything I told it to - even when I told it to endo....

Similar Products Used: None
Barry   Cross Country Rider [Oct 29, 2004]
Strength:

Bomb-proof, light, fast, and just plain fun

See review below - also, the chain tension is harder to adjust that "traditional" single-speed models, due to the eccentric bottom bracket set-up. bb needs greasing regularly

I have now used this bike for an entire season, and thought I would post a second review now I have lived with the bike for the better part of the year.

Let's put it this way - my Mantra does not get that much use any more. I have commuted to work on this bike, have done long epic rides, and have raced it in a weekly race series and an 8-hour relay. In the 8-hour relay I was only 15 seconds slower on the ss than I was on my initial lap on my geared bike.

The 1FG is maintenance free (apart from having to grease the bb regularly), never needs adjusting, and is always ready to rock. It is responsive and fast on tight singletrack, and is well set up for climbing.

The head angle is pretty slack and the riding position is very upright, compared to other x-country bikes, which makes the bike a pleasure to ride around town, although I have found this does not compromise handling on the trail too much.

Most importantly, I am a better rider for owning this bike, and it has made old trails feel new again, which is the best argument for owning a singlespeed in the first place.