Yeti Cycles SB5+ Plus bikes

The SB5+ Offers Unparalleled Stability And Traction With 27.5+ Platform And 5 Inches Of Ample Travel.

Available Models:

• SB5+ Turq Frames
  • SB5+ Carbon Frames

timnielsen   [Mar 13, 2018]
Pros: I've had Yetis before, quite a few in fact. I was an early aficionado of the John Parker/FTW school of kick ass bikes that didn't break going back to the straight-gauge 4130 CRMO Ultimate in 1992 that had elevated chainstays and a rigid ACCU-TRAX fork ... probably weighed 30 pounds give or take. I had one of the first two dozen 7005 A.R.C. hardtails off the line then a short travel ARC-AS that I had custom polished and REALLY regret selling to some guy in South America thru the MTBR classifieds. When Schwinn bought Yeti in the late 90's (and quality went in the toilet), I switched my brand loyalty to Dave Turner (Stinger, Flux, Nitrous) with a Gen 1 S-Works FSR in the middle for good measure. Through those years, however, I kept those fond memories of my 1990's Yetis, and when I had a chance to demo a SB66c in Moab in 2014, I was hooked again. Same old (awesome) Yeti geometry - long top tube and tons of standover for my 30" inseam. The first version of the Switch pivot on the SB-66c was good, but the Infinity was (infinitely?) better so when I began looking for a new frame, I wanted four things: the Infinity pivot, 27.5" wheels, 5-6" travel and the best carbon that money can buy. Plus had just starting becoming a thing in 2016, so I demoed an SB5+ on the Apex trail next to the Yeti factory in Golden, and was astonished at it's ability to climb sections I had never been able to clear. I figured 5+ would be a great route to go as it added options up to a 3.0" tire and I liked the idea of elevated chainstays to eliminate chain slap and improve mud clearance on the BB. JensonUSA got me a smoking deal in the winter that year and I added the ENVE Plus wheels over the stock DT's, Northshore grips, CrankBros 3xTi eggbeaters, and a Selle Italia SLR Superflow Ti saddle. 26.9 lbs. After a full season of riding, I've made some other changes that I'll get into in the pro/cons, but to summarize, I swapped out crappy Shimano gear cables to plain old uncoated stainless which wont bind over time in the long housing runs, upgraded the rear derailleur to XTR and the Aluminum RF Turbine 175mm cranks to RF Next SL G4 carbon 170mm sticks. Finally, I changed out the stock Maxxis 2.8" tires for Schwalbe Plus 2.6" Nobby Nics.
Cons: Pros: - Switch Infinity - amazing progressive feel and response - Shimano drivetrain and brakes - 46T low - Clean internal routing - Ultra tunable Fox factory suspension - Long top tube, great standover (esp on Med size) - Plus tires/rims for low pressure winter riding and insane traction - Boost spacing - Top of the line TURQ carbon layup - super stiff and light Cons: - BB feels/rides low and increases pedal strikes (I addressed with 170 mm crank arms vs stock 175mm) - 2.8" Plus tires ultimately didn't handle all that well - wallowed in higher speed corners (I addressed by backing down to 2.6") - Raceface dropper post needed rebuild after one season - Stock Yeti bars on Med too wide - cut down by .5" on either side - significantly improved handling response in tighter turns Net: I feel bad because I have a custom Moots Rogue (27.5") YBB with Enve's gathering dust because the Yeti can do it all. No need for an XC bike unless I'm racing. With a few tweaks on the crank length, bar and tire width, the SB5+ is the closest to a true swiss-army knife (does it all well) of bikes that I've come across.
Price: $6400 (TURQ XT)   New/Used: New   Model Year: 2017