Whyte Bikes 909 27.5 HT Plus bikes

Whyte Bikes 909 27.5 HT Plus bikes

• Frame: 6061 Hydro Formed T6 Aluminium, Custom Drawn and Multi Butted, Tapered Headtube, Intergrip Seat Clamp System with Internal BBX Cable Routing for Dropper Post and 12mm X 148mm Boost Dropouts
  • Fork: Fox Float Performance 34, 27.5", 130mm Travel with GRIP 3-Pos Damper, Tapered Steerer, Black Coating and 110mm X 15mm Boost, E-Thru Axle
  • Headset: FSA No. 57E Orbit ZS, Sealed Cartridge Bearings, 1.5" Lower, 1 1.8" Upper Bearings
  • Rims: WTB STs i35 Rims with TCS System, Sleeve Joint, Tubeless Ready
  • Shift Levers: SRAM GX Eagle, MMX Clamp, 12 Speed

[Jul 01, 2018]
Phil Meade

Strength:

Me: 56 year-old male, 6' 0" tall, 205 lbs (93 kg), weekend warrior. Not exactly "sending it" these days, but I like challenging, technical climbs and sketchy (within limits) descents. Preferred riding: rooted, rocky, natural trails, but I enjoy the occasional berm turn too. Local trails: Fountainhead Regional Park and Lake Fairfax trail network in the Washington, D.C. suburbs. I have about 100 miles on the bike so far. Bottom line: It's hard to say enough good things about the 2018 Whyte 909. It is an extraordinary bike, and the essence of what makes it so good is its geometry and the dialed, balanced, confidence-inspiring riding position that geometry gives it. I rode a lot of other bikes before buying the 909 (see below), and none of them could match it in this regard. Climbing/Pedaling: I have yet to take it on any long, extended climbs, but the bike pedals very well for a plus-size bike, and it's fairly light for what it is. My size large weighed in at 28.7 lbs on a digital scale at a bike shop, set up tubeless, with Nukeproof Sam Hill Alu/CroMo flat pedals (430 g) and a lightweight alloy bottle cage fitted. In spite of the slack, 65 degree head tube angle, the front wheel stays planted when seated on steep, smooth climbs, and it actually shines on technical climbs. It's very easy to maneuver over step-ups. Descending: A reviewer at Singletrackworld.com put it well: "Forgiving of stupid line choices and encourages stupidity." I'm pushing stuff I used to gingerly pick my way down. With its extremely low bottom bracket and long wheel base, it rails berms. I have yet to find the limits of this bike (and at my age, maybe I won't). Specs: Fox Float Performance 34 (130 mm) - Sweet. GX Eagle drivetrain - Flawless so far. Tires -- Maxxis High Roller II, 2.8" (front) and Maxxis Rekon TR, 27.5" (rear) - Very, very capable, wet and dry. Whyte drop.it dropper post - as good as any I’ve ridden. Other bikes tried before buying: 2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 27.5+ (twice), 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 6Fattie (twice), 2016 Norco Sight (twice), 2016 Cannondale Bad Habit (4 times), 2016 Trek Fuel EX 29 (twice), 2016 Cannondale Stache (twice), 2017 Cannondale Cujo (once). Buying: It's not offered on Whyte's USA site (whyteusa.bike), where they only have the lower spec 905 and 901 models in stock. If you call or e-mail them, WhyteUSA will special order one from the UK.

This isn't a weakness of the bike, itself, but I quickly swapped out the 34T chain ring it came with for a Sram 32T oval chain ring. At my fitness level, I needed the 32T. It made a big difference. This was my first oval ring, and I find it suits flats, where all the pedaling power is on the down stroke, very well.

Price Paid: