Fezzari Cascade Peak 27.5 Plus bikes

Fezzari Cascade Peak 27.5 Plus bikes

27.5+ at its best! The Cascade Peak is now a 27.5 plus bike. What does that do for you, the rider? The 3" wide tires add traction, stability and control. They form to the trail giving you more traction and less unwanted feedback from rocks, roots, and other obstacles. They smooth the trail for a more confident ride. Want to run narrower rubber for your weekly race series?

[Jun 23, 2018]
meekiale

Strength:

I can practice jumps and miss my landing and recover w/o a fall. My partner is a cautious mountain biker, I am trying to get her to enjoy it more w/ me. The cascade is doing the job for me and the 27.5+ tires are so helpful for her stability.

The pedals have low clearance, I hit rocks that I used to not hit on my 26"er (haha yep I said 26"er). I am learning to time my pedal strokes up hill and pedal placement on the downhill. I could see it helping to lower the center of gravity and charge the downhills burms and land jumps but I'm still getting used to it.

Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2016
[Feb 26, 2017]
Douglas Holzman

Strength:

Very agile for its weight (33LBS for a medium). Rolls over obstacles with ease without giving up cornering ability. Suspension already tuned for rider weight. Great for climbing up and bombing down hills.

Would be nice to have a remote lockout for the rear

This review will be split into two parts: Fezzari customer service and the bike itself. Being that Fezzari bikes are primarily ordered online I believe it is important to cover the ordering process as well as the bike.

At first I was skeptical, but if you are someone that does your own work or at least handy with a wrench, ordering a bike from Fezzari is simple. Their online form has you submit your measurements, they do a good job of explaining accurate measuring along with tips on getting those measurements. You are given opportunities you select upgrade items like dropper posts, tubeless tires, etc. Based off you measurements they will select the frame size, I was nervous about this because I can be a medium or large frame. I received a call from Fezzari inquiring about my preference because I do fit into a grey area. Less than three weeks later I had my bike. They do have video to walk you through unboxing and assembly; it probably took me 20 minutes to put the bike together. All you have to do it put the bars on, install the seatpost and wheels. More time was spent getting my seat right more than anything. The stem length and height was perfect, the shock/fork settings were dead on. Now onto the bike!

For years I was trying to find a replacement for my Sugar, but something that could handle more aggressive riding along with having balance for climbing and cornering. My Fuel, Hi-FI Carbon and Scott Spark 940 would get light on the front end, as a heavier rider (220LBS) it seamed to make it worse. I would have to get out of the saddle to shift my weight forward enough to keep the front down, but then loose traction on the rear. The Cascade Peak 27.5+ does not have that problem, it has all the handling characteristics of my Sugar, but on steroids. Hills that I couldn't climb before, were now possible to climb. When it came to downhills, I could lean back enough to avoid that going over the bars feeling.
Regarding handling, my Spark 940 never handled like I wanted it to, it always seemed slow to respond, it struggled with tight switchbacks as well. My friends all have Scott Sparks and now I find myself being quicker in the tight stuff along with being able to carry more speed in the rolling portions of the trails. This bike gives me a confidence to push the limits of speed and take on obstacles I would previously shy away from. As another review pointed out, this bike allows you to straighten out the trail, roots that you may go around, you can now take on without disturbing the bike.

Not since my Sugar Team that I built custom have I loved riding a bike this much. The price was perfect, the interaction with Fezzari was pleasant. As for the price I have gotten my moneys worth, there may be "better" and more expense 27.5+ bikes out there, but it comes down to what kind of rider are you. If your like me and ride trails 2-3 times a week this is the bike for you, if you race then chances are you aren't going to a 27.5+ bike anyways.

Hopefully this review has been helpful

2013 Scott Spark 940, 2003 Sugar Team Issue, 2002 Fuel 90, 2007 Fisher HIFI Carbon

[Apr 11, 2016]
Brian
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Value, custom sizing based on rider's measurements, plus size wheelset, custom tuned suspension, components, geometry, climbing, descending, trail riding

Maybe a bit heavy?

This thing is a freight train monster truck. Forget picking your way through technical sections. Aim for the big stuff and hit it. You wont feel a thing. I found myself not worrying about anything other than lining up for the next turn, leaning in and throwing my hips around. Unlimited grip climbing and descending. Even on climbs, I aimed for the big nasty rocks and it floated right up the face. Honeybadger dont care. Other bikes in this category have more travel, but I am yet to find any scenario where i would need more travel.
I have a trip to Mammoth planned soon, and am confident that this bike will destroy.
A few small things to note: 1) The water bottle mount needs to be moved down toward the bottom bracket in order to fit a full sized water bottle. I have no idea why it is so high, but a normal sized bottle hits the rear shock. 2) They should add braze-ons to the front side of the downtube to mount an additional water bottle. Id like to take this bikepacking, and that is some valuable realestate. 3) The color scheme needs to be updated to current standards. While this is a nice looking bike, it would be cool to have it in bright blue/green/red/whatever

Surly Krampus (29+), Advocate Hayduke (27.5+),

[Dec 01, 2015]
Paul klimovich
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

3 inch tires, full suspension, xt brakes, 11 speed drive train

If I could had ever imaged a perfect bike this is it. The trails I ride consist of tight single track, sand, jagged rocks, and short steep technical climbs. The Cascade Peak Plus excels in everything. It hasn't let me down yet. I even had a friend who swore by his fat bike take it for a spin over a rock covered trail and come back smiling saying it just floats over everything. Like with fat bikes you need to compromise with a little with the weight but for a full suspension aluminum mtb with 3 inch tires 32lbs isn't that bad and for only $2799 you can't beat it. Fezzari is a great company it was set up perfectly after just giving them a couple of measurements. They even call you up personally and go over anything you need just to make sure you get actually what you want. This bike has made it possible to ride for longer times and with less of the fatigue. At 34 years old I feel like a kid again riding in the trails for the first time I just ride with a smile now knowing I finally bought the bike of my dreams

[Nov 30, 2015]
Jed Campbell

Strength:

Plush ride. Grip in spades. Great components. Value.

30T in the front might be better as a 28 (or maybe I just need to toughen up).

This thing is a joy to ride. Every time I get on it, it puts a big grin on my face. From the stability on loose rocks to the massive grip this thing has in corners, I just can't seem to get enough of it. Shocks came dialed to my weight from Fezzari, stem length and handlebar width were sized for me. Everything seems perfect about this bike. I am fortunate enough to live near the Fezzari shop in Utah, so I could take it for a test ride before I bought it.
Who is this bike for? People who enjoy bull-dozing over obstacles, gaining confidence in drops, and who prefer having fun on the trail, rather than being the fastest person to "get there." So far, it does seem a tad slower steering than 26" wheels, but I might just be imagining that. It's definitely faster in rough sections, and has more traction in (small amounts ) of snow than my old bike (2" tires) had in dry conditions.