Specialized Hotrock 20 6-Speed Girl's Kids

Hotrock 20 6-Speed Girl's

Ricci Chang   Weekend Warrior [Jun 02, 2011]
Strength:

Lighter than other 20" kids bikes. Put a smile on my daughter every time she rides.

Weak rear hub, cheap derailleur and shifter, crank too long for 6 years old, 25lb. still heavy for kids.

(This review for 2007 6-speed girl's bike is exactly same as boy's bike.)
I don't understand parents these days. Babies are in $1000 strollers and 6 years old are playing iPad in the park. I rarely see neighboring kids riding something nice. Because Dad can't afford, or because bike companies don't make decent kids bikes?
My daughter has been riding her 20" Hotrock since she turns 6, and loving it! With a geared bike, she can ride most of the moderate trails I'm riding. It is lighter than all other brand name 20" geared bike available in here. Not to mention the cheap craps from toy store which kids will simply abandon because of poor ridability. Hotrock however has few short comings and keep me from giving it 5 chilis. I'd like to see better components, and lighter weight. Specialized knows how to built bikes, and they need to step up a bit to make their kids line stands out, like Islabikes in UK.
I can't wait to see my girl turns 8 as she will be getting $1000 Scott Scale RC Jr.

Similar Products Used: Hotrock 16".
OVERALL
maddslacker   Cross Country Rider [Mar 12, 2009]
Strength:

well built with components that, though not the lightest, are durable. Adjusts quite a bit for a growing kid

A little heavy, needs a quick release seat post clamp.

My daughter loves to ride a bike, and likes to go with me on some of the less technical trails (Like Bar M loop in Moab)
This bike is perfect for her, literally a "real" bike in a kid's size.
For a comparison, think of a miniature Rockhopper frame with cheaper components.
Two final notes, as compared to Dept store bikes, this one has well functioning brakes and shifters that require very minimal adjusting.
I backed over ours with the car, and all it damaged was the rear derailleur, which cost $6.00 to replace at the LBS. The wheel, frame and derailleur hanger were all fine.