Specialized Hotrock 16 Kids

clabonte   [Oct 10, 2012]
Strength:

Great construction, durability and ride for the price.

Like anything for kids they outgrow it.

My girls loved their Specialized Hotrock 16's it was hard to get them to give them up when it was time to get bigger ones. I did everything I could to make them last. But when their knees where up to their shoulders it was time to graduate. I actually have one pink and one purple for sale on eBay now.

schristie11   [Jun 17, 2012]
Strength:

Components work smoothly and with very little effort.
Geometry of the bike is superb!
Weight is low and but not too low that it upsets balance on rough terrain.
Brake works well.
Tired that came on it were specialized brand and worked great!
Long Seat Post ensures I can stretch its life as my son grows taller.
You can find them super cheap in perfect condition on CR.

Price is a bit high for a bike they may grow out of quickly.
Training wheels are static.
There have been training wheels with "springs" made for many years, which help a new rider find the center point of balance without risk of falling over from teetering back and forth.

My son has been put off from riding a bike for the last three years straight due to crummy target store bikes and trikes which were unridable. They all had way too much resistance in the drive train for a little kid to make it go.
Thank fully for my son, I got a bonus at work this year and decided to throw down the gauntlet and buy him a REAL bike!

My son absolutely LOVES his new bike and brags about it to everyone, though not many people can understand him since he is just learning to speak. lol
He even asks me to go ride his bike every day now!

My daughter has an adequate bike but it is a cheaper huffy from target store, and she jumped on my son's bike the other day and was blown away by how good it was.
She gleefully bragged how easy it was to ride without the training wheels – due to its excellent balance and geometry.
She asked me to get her one just like it - in pink.
Sure, her target bike has tinker bell decals that she loves, but even at her young age of 7 she already has a total appreciation for just how good this Specialized bike is!

Scott Trowbridge   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2012]
Strength:

This is an awesome kids bike!! I wish I had a bike like this when I was under the age of 5. Our son started off on a Strider balance bike at the age of 2, then transitioned to a cheap 12", then to this bike. The quality is very good and the weight is better then average. We looked and looked on Craig's list for a used one but we could not find one. A used Hotrock sells quickly!

It is a little pricey but worth it. Our boy should be on this for a few years. We purchased an extended seat post so he can ride it for longer as he grows taller.

Get one for your kid!!

dbabuser   All Mountain Rider [Apr 24, 2012]
Strength:

Currently lightest bike in this wheelsize that I could find available in the US, and it's well made.

No freewheel option. Older models have heavier steel forks and handlebars. Geometry caters to beginners.

My daughter started out at 2 on a Strider (weighed 8 lbs), and by 3.5 was riding a junk 12" bike w/o training wheels. That bike weighed 25lbs, and at the time, she was only 8 or 10 lbs heavier than it. The Hotrock 12 (14 lbs) was next, and she rode it for about a year before outgrowing it, and I was able to find a used older Hotrock 16 (19.5 lbs). Our neighbor bought a new one around the same time for his boy, so I've been able to see the differences. The new ones aren't inexpensive (even used ones), but are worth a bit more based on their lighter weight.
It's been a great bike for her, once I found some lower bars (she's small for her age - 5 years old, and still around 41" tall) and replaced the seat and tires with lighter/ better parts (got it down to 17.5 lbs). She's not quite ready to go up a size yet, which is why the geometry is an issue. She's loves the skatepark, and is working on learning to wheelie and jump, but the bike's beginner intent works against her - both the extra stable long chainstays and the coaster brake. Unless she hits a big growth spurt soon, we'll be looking into the new line of kid's bike by Cult, which reportedly are more performance oriented and come with a freewheel.

Similar Products Used: Kent 12" bmx, Hotrock 12
mtnbiker72   [Apr 12, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight alloy frame and fork, alloy rims, threadless headset

NONE

This is the best 16" kids bike on the market, it is lighter than just about anything else out there. Quality A1 frame and fork with a real 1 1/8" headset makes this bike solid. Don't burden your kid with a boat anchor made from heavy hi-tensile steel. Initial cost is high but these easily resell for over $100 used so your net cost will be the same as a heavy steel clunker.

moosehead   All Mountain Rider [Apr 04, 2012]
Strength:

Great geometry for kids keeps seat lower to ground, but bike has a cool BMX feel and look. Low CG great for kids learning balance. Light aluminum frame with cool color in blue. Nicest kid rig we have had, after at least a half dozen or so.

Didn't find it sooner.

Both our kids learned to pedal without training wheels around age 3 or so straight from the Striders.

Similar Products Used: Striders, Walmart kids bikes, Diamondback something or other, 12-14" wheeled bikes that were unsafe as pedals hit the ground upon any turning tilt.
lowaired   Weekend Warrior [Feb 14, 2012]
Strength:

great price and aluminum frame is much lighter than all of the competitors at this level 16 lbs !!!

perfect for 3-5 year old gap!!!