Specialized Hotrock 16 Girls Kids

Hotrock 16 Girls

chull   Weekend Warrior [Mar 10, 2009]
Strength:

Light weight for a kids bike.

Cheap training wheels that are hard to adjust, heavy and very noisy. No quick-release wheels for transport.

We bought this for our 3-year-old daughter, and now she is passing it on to her 3-year-old sister. This has been bulletproof, and very fun for the girls to ride. I love the light weight compared to other 16" bikes - this was one of the few with an alloy frame. The training wheels are the weak point, and let the bike down. I wanted quick-release wheels, but could not find any kids bikes with this feature and retrofitting was prohibitively expensive.

Ricci Chang   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2008]
Strength:

Good welding, finish, and componant all around. Lightest 16" kids bike available!

None.

Got an used (2006) model on EBay 'cause it was not available in great Canada, and I don't want my kid to ride a bike from toy store! An excellant upgrade for my 3 year 10 month old girl as she loves it since her first ride. At 20 lb, it's much lighter than Grandma's gift Norco Lil Missy (27 lb) and slightly lighter than nieghbour's Trek MT 16 (23 lb). (Weight include training wheels.) Overall quality is simply second to none for 16" kid bike category. We just completed a 10km loop of Stanley Park over the weekend. Very happy with my purchase knowing that my girl will enjoy it for the next 3~5 years.

Similar Products Used: 2006 Norco Lil Sassy (12")
2008 Norco Lil Missy (16")
2007 Trek MT 16 (16")
shane   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2005]
Strength:

Very well constructed. Kid pleasing design

Chain ring to large for some kids just starting to ride.

This is an excellent bike if your child takes naturally to riding and is strong and aggressive. For a child that is a little timid, it's important to find a bike that's easy to ride. I.E. lower gearing, a slightly more relaxed frame for stability, etc..
Great bike, may be a better long term choice than the Trek or others, but if you just starting out, you might want to seek other options.

Similar Products Used: Trek Mystic 16.
Michael   Weekend Warrior [Jun 23, 2005]
Strength:

Light weight, heavy duty small kids bike. Very over built, your kid will never break this bike. My daughter (4.5 yo) hated riding her 14" barbie bike, it was just too hard. Now she begs to go on rides, we ride as far as a mile at a time, and she hits 8 mph.

none really.

If you are willing to spend a little more than "Toys R' us" pricing you can get your child a bike that they'll really enjoy, and you won't have to Dork with all the time, just to keep running. Less work = More fun.