Schwinn Frontier FS 24 Kids

matt   [Sep 10, 2005]

Solid and sturdy frame and functional components

Heavy weight, strange rear brake cable routing and, oh yeah, Schwinn proprietary parts (25.6 seatpost and 1 1/8 threaded fork) are hard (post) or impossible (fork) to replace.

This is the Schwinn Ranger 2.4 FS sold at Target. From what I understand it is very similar to the bike shop Fronteir. The frame is bomb proof, and the paint finish is equal to that of my son's Giant. The derailluers and shifters are also comparable to the Giant and my daughter's learning the bsaics of shifting. The Pro Max brakes aren't quite as nice as the Giant's Tektros although they do work well enough. This has a front suspension fork where the Giant doesn't but the extra comfort comes at a big price. That fork must weigh 6 pounds and the extra weight makes it hard for my daughter to keep up with her younger brother on our rides. I'd replace the fork but the strange spec makes it impossible to replace unless I redo the headset and the stem as well. It would cost more than the bike itself. The stock post was too short when I bought the bike. Overall it's a good solid bike for a kid but it's probably worth paying an extra $50 and sacrificing the suspension fork for a lighter aluminum frame and better components at the LBS.