Giant MTX 250 Kids

Giant MTX 250 Kids

[Oct 24, 2010]
mattkeisling@comcast.net

Strength:

24" wheels right size for my growing boy.
Curving top tube gives ample stand-over.
Bike store quality frame, fork and components.
I like the rigid fork (older model.)

Grip Shifters can be hard for smaller hands to turn.
I wish the bottle cage was not under the down tube.
Bolt-on wheels.

Great bike for a kid who has outgrown the 20" bike. It is light enough with sufficient gears for climbing and trail riding, if needed. On the other hand, for the child graduating from a single-speed, you can set a medium gear and let him/her learn to shift as they need it. Parent should take a little time to make sure the rider knows how to handle hand brakes, as opposed to coaster brakes.

Many Trek MTB
Some department store "Schwinns"

[Oct 06, 2009]
Rab7950

Strength:

Great hardtail MTB i just love the brakes in my top 3 bikes this ones second

The original seat isnt very comfy not that big of a problem but still... oh and the tires naeed replacement if your gonna drift/slip alot because these tires are pretty bad for drifting

i would recommand this bike for beginners and people who have used BMX's,if you are very familiar to racing/trekking bikes i do not recommand this bike.

[Apr 15, 2007]
jake stokman

Strength:

everthing

nothing

Its a great beginners bike and all around bike

[Oct 17, 2006]
Mick

Strength:

Solid and lightish frame. All round generally a good kids bike and my daughter has had hours of fun

The twist grip for the front derailler is too stiff and is not adjustable. Therefore my daughter cannot use her full gears without my help. Also she sometimes gets shoulder ache when riding on level ground for over 10 minutes. This may be to do with the high handle bars due to fittng a 24inch wheel on a childrens bike. However it's ok when on undulating terrain.

This seemed to be the best buy for my budget and the age of my daughter (8 years) but the two product weaknesses mentioned above have now doubted my decision.

[Nov 07, 2004]
Stuart

Strength:

Sturdy aluminum frame and good quality components. Brake levers are sized for kid's hands. Twist grip shifters are easy to use and more intuitive than trigger shifters.

The front fork is way to stiff for light kids and has no adjustability

This is my second Giant kids bike. The MTX 250 is a great bike for kids who want to keep up with their dads on real trails. The bike shifts well and has a granny gear low enough to let kids climb the steep stuff.

I really like the bike's frame and low standover height, it allowed my son to graduate to a 24" bike much earlier than traditional frame. I don't think its worth spending the extra money for the full suspension model because the kids don't weigh enough to really work the suspension.

The bike is a great value. I'm going to sell this one as soon as my son fits a 26" full suspension. I'll end up getting at least $125 for it. 2 years of constant use and no troubles for only $125 is a bargain.

20" Giant MTX 125