Orange P7 Pro Freeride Hardtail

• Hubs: Hope XC
  • Headset: WTB Comp

[Dec 16, 2008]
The Black Cape

Strength:

It Works, see below (The bottom line).

Seat post can sometimes stick if not lubricated every now and then. Apart from this nothing.

I’m a pretty lazy bike keeper and a big kid at heart and although I love the bike I don’t look after it. I ride my bike in all conditions and mostly look for trail riding by using Google earth then taking the car to get to these challenging riding spots. After going out in poor conditions in the time it’s taken to get home in the car the mud is generally dried on…I then just leave the bike until the next ride. Might wash it every six months (give or take). Anyway despite this I have (so far) never experienced any problems with the rear dropouts or any other failing parts on the bike, I never check any bolts or make tweak adjustments. Please don’t misunderstand me this is not a boast or brag, like I said at the start of this section I am by my own admittance lazy. Why would I buy this bike again? Because of the things you don’t see…meaning if something works well, very well you take it for granted, this bike just seems to work day in day out, sunshine, rain, wind, mud and crap, right tool for the job. Disbelievers can come and see the bike covered in mud but ready to ride.

GT Aggressor, Planet-X Jack Flash, Muddy-Fox, Marin Pine Mountain

[Aug 16, 2008]
JP

Strength:

Ride quality. Nice geometry. Quite light. Nice looking frame in white. Single speed option in theory.

The sliding drop out system. Especially in single speed use, I have noticed that the system is not reliable. I have stripped the threads in the dropouts when trying to tighten the bolts so that the drop-outs won´t slide when mashing pedals in single speed. Eventually the chain will come loose. Even when I put a nut on the other side and tightened the dropout with all the force I could without snapping the bolts, the drop-outs won´t stay put. I have now waited 3 months for replacement drop-outs from my dealer, but orange hasn´t provided them. Even though, if the trough bolting-nut system fix (and much higher torque level that aluminium thread can handle) that I tried isn´t enough to fix it, the replacement drop-outs won´t do that either. I guess I have to just change the frame, if I wan´t to ride mountainbike. Everything else in the frame is good.

Otherwise i like to frame and how it rides. I would keep it if it just was reliable. It´s really annoying to think about and monitor your drop-outs all the time when you ride.

DMR Trailstar
GT Avalanche

[Jun 30, 2008]
Michel

Strength:

sweet smooth ride! I really liked it, fast around corners and not wiggly at all while going straight

bend after 3 month,
customer support sucks

the ride is nice; steel feel, without being soft or losing pedalpower, BUT (and it is a big BIG BUT)
forget it if your not living right next door to the factory!!!
it took ages till I got the frame and it bend after 12 weeks of riding (nothing hard or gnarly, no drops, no freeride)
Its been send back for 3 weeks now, and i havent even gotten an email.

so I am going to get something else
and hence the bad rating

dmr switchback
dynamics hardcore

[Sep 01, 2007]
john blackshaw

Strength:

its my third p7,two have been nicked but fortunately this 2007 p7 is the best ive had.the last one(i think i had the wrong frame size)gave me back ache and neck ache after about a half hour of a ride,however this black beauty IS my favourite thing in the world.they ve tinkered slightly with the front end and raised it a touch and i can honestly ive never ridden a bike that comes near!it encourages you to ride faster and every bit of effort you put in is returned ten fold

i went for the basic p7 so i suppose you can say i could upgrade the components in the future,but with a frame like this i cant quibble!

ill never buy another bike other than a p7!

i liked an old kona lava dome once before i saw orange

[Apr 21, 2007]
Lee Edwards

Strength:

Steel frame, Orange build ie bombproof, 140mm fork, replaceable dropouts, raceface/xt/hope components. Convertible to singlespeed, rohloff with an allen key. Beautiful orange paintjob (not a strength but I love the colour). Orange...British...Nuff said!!

Seatpost shim is only grumble.

This is a true legend of a bike in British mountain biking and the latest geometry changes have created quite a monster. The 140mm Fox fork inspires confidence and standing on the pedals letting the tail chase the fork downhill is exhilerating. Climbs well too. It has that lovely "springy" feel that well made steel frames produce and Orange make some of the best frames in MTBing. As Fraser said, not much in the way of upgrading is necessary and Orange do an upgrade package for nearly half price when you buy the bike anyway and that gives hope headset and QR's, Easton EC70 bar, Thomson post/stem, Fizik Gobi. This bike is a "do it all" hardtail without the harsh aluminium tail. Ride it hard, ride it easy, you'll enjoy it either way. A bike for amateurs to learn on and a bike for pro's to have fun on. Whatever type of rider you'll love this bike. Five Chilis all round!!!!

Nothing else apart from previous cheaper bikes I've owned. This bike was "the one" for me after a test.

[Nov 09, 2006]
rodney stone

Strength:

Ride quality, feel, weight (for a chromoly frame)

NOTHING so far!

TOP TOP TOP TOP drawer bike. It might speak quietly, but get it moving and it carries a very big performance stick! I've ridden nothing else that rides as smoothly as this and gives such detailed feedback with almost no trailbuzz. I find it a superb fit and the build quality is amazing - small, smooth tidy welding all over, and a real bombproof feel. Pimpin' in black, and no sign of any stonechipping. First class ride. Friends have tested, and been staggered that i bought an orange, and a steel hardtail at that, but ALL have come back grinning! This is a frame that will be ridden until either it breaks in 25 years time, or i do in 60, whichever comes first.

NOTHING like it!

[Mar 27, 2007]
Pablo Román

Strength:

Rideability
Excellent geometry
Heavy-Duty made for.
Versatility and screws for travel-bags
Posibility of mount 150mm travel forks

Shim for the seatpost

The perfect and versatile AM Hardtail. The frame weights a bit, but is a price that I pay happily :-D (me-->92kg) I broke a pair of FS Mondrakers the last year and this one seems to resist my abuse with no problems.

The geometry is quite good with my 130mm fork. With a tallest and capable fork the geometry wiil improve the DH capabilities.

Orbea nadir w/ Mz EXR 120mm

[Feb 26, 2007]
Fraser

Strength:

Just about everything. Great frame, great components, amazing handling, looks awesome. It's made light work of everything I've done with it so far and even does downhill OK even though that's not striclty what it's for. Love it love it love it

None I'm aware of yet

If you want a bike you can use daily, go anywhere on, and ride hard without it breaking when you mistime a hop and go flying; if you want a bike that feels just right and looks damn fine; and if you want a bike that doesn't really need upgrades, this is the one for you. If it ever gets nicked or something I am so getting another one just like it.

Nothing this good; an old school Haro most recently

[Jul 25, 2006]
Jim

Strength:

One of the best cromo frames you can get, excellent components, excellent overall design, and it's bomb proof

none that I've found

this is a brilliant bike. I have never felt so confident in ragging a bike down a steep bumpy hill, it soaks up abuse and leaves it in the dust. It's comfy for the whole day on every surface I've been on, so I use it for commuting as well as weekend/evening XC. I preferred it over all the other bikes I tried at a similar (and in a couple of cases, much higher) price.

various Marin, Specialized, Trek hardtails tested

[Jan 28, 2008]
David

Strength:

'See previous post'

'See previous post'

Follow up on my bike so far; orange replaced the rear brake caliper mount under warrenty as the threads had pulled through (weak alloy I reckon,). Since first service, all good untill recently bent the rear mech hanger (no idea how!) so that the rear mech grinded against spokes in low gears!! I have a fealing its the fault of the mechanic who indexed my gears in the service (but I might just be pointing the finger!!).

So its back at stif for its second service in two months :(

Conclusion: Alloy is weak, I don't know why orange don't make em in steel like the frame, madness!?!