Haro Escape 8.1 Freeride Hardtail

mike zbikowski   Racer [Sep 14, 2007]
Strength:

frame and tires, pedals and cranks

fork is like a pogo stick and weak, wheels needed to be trued every other run, gears dont shift good grips were uncomfotable and tore quickly

good bike for beginner in freeride or ok for extreme xc

Similar Products Used: cannondale f700, haro sx comp, and gt avalanche 3.o disk
John Hamilton   Weekend Warrior [Jan 05, 2008]
Strength:

This's for the Escape08, What can I say , well the frame is realy cool.

The down grade in components is definitely a back step for Haro maybe they should cut cost else where (like Management wages) instead of components.

The Haro Escape is a well designed bike and has potential to be a very sweet ride if you’re willing to spend some cash to upgrade components. It seem Haro decision makers a more interested in their hip pocket than the product that brings in the DOLLARS!

luke   Weekend Warrior [Jan 23, 2007]
Strength:

every thing but the derailer

derailer

this is te perfect bike to own

Similar Products Used: dont no wat this means
Cody j   Downhiller [May 04, 2007]
Strength:

This is for the 2007 base model escape. Solid yet lite frame, nice sticky tires,marzocci shocks with lock out feature and 120mm of travel are pretty plush and nice for climbing but i dont know how they'll hold on constant drops will update in a little while.

Brakes rub, bent the truvativ crank the first day out(shop replaced that day), second day out rear derailer shifted into rear wheel spokes and broke off(shop replaced that day) rims spokes came loose really quickly/out of true

ho hum basicly just bought it for frame and forks

Similar Products Used: norco bigfoot,diamond back
Dave Hansford   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2007]
Strength:

The Brilliant Frame

The crappy components

This was my first bike, and it was a brilliant (and lucky, as I knew Jack about bikes) choice. It's taken all the inevitable knocks, drops and flips that come with learning to ride, including a huge crash that pretty much destroyed the rims, forks and bars. The frame stayed straight as a die.
As the admittedly crappy original components wore out or broke, I spent the money on some decent replacements and I continue to love this bike. I'm not a downhiller, or a racer (I'm 47, for Christ's sake), but some of our tracks round here are pretty rugged and this bike never looks like baulking. Yes, it's heavy, but so am I. If I were really serious about grams, I'd go on a diet.

Looks like I paid a fortune for it compared to you guys in the US, so it dips out a bit on value, but get one at the right price, throw away the Quad brakes and the deraileurs and have yourself a good time!

Cody Larckson   Weekend Warrior [Dec 08, 2007]
Strength:

The great frame, the seat on the 06 models are good and for the most part it is great.

The cranks are kinda weak but other than that it is a great bike.

A great bike for getting into serios mountain biking. You can't go wrong with it and it will not fail you.

Boston Cummings   Weekend Warrior [Sep 13, 2005]
Strength:

Fork is nice 130mm couldn't ask for more out of a stock hardtail.hayes brakes are good and i love the truvativ bars and cranks.

none....well the seat is uncomfortable, but what can i say slap a bmx seat on there and it will be fine.

This bike is great for your money. the new models come with a slick paint job and great components. Bang for your buck its one of the best out there no complaints!

Similar Products Used: specialized Hardrock,kona stinky
Jim Davis   Downhiller [May 01, 2006]
Strength:

Amazing, after 2 years of some harsh riding on this bike and how does it hold up, i'm clueless, I've had no problems since last review i posted here.
Upgraded to a Marzocchi Z1 Freeride with 2004 lowers 2003 uppers, with 130mm travel and ETA...WOW Blow me away, the difference is incredible (Got it on ebay for 180$ it was MINT!)

I've had no problems what so ever...

I have the 2004 Haro escape 8.1 and I prefer the 2004's over the 2005's as they kinda skimpped on the components.
No skimping on the 04's and its noticeable!
I look at it and I swear it's just a bike that calls to be ridden hard!
I use it for downhill mostly, little street stuff some dirtjumps 4 feet max, this thing is the all terrain BOMB!
I would gladly pay 600$ for one of these, I got it for 350$ i'm not gonna complain!

Great for anyone on a budget, extremely reliable, I took care of it myself, never brought it to the bike store for anything in 2 years and it runs smoother than some bikes that come out of those stores!

The 2004's are getting hard to find, if you see one and your looking for a bike, I recommend grabbing it before your kicking yourself the day after someone else buys it!

Don't buy it if your doing just town riding...unless you plan on putting street tires on it, THIS IS NO TOURING BIKE!

It's a rocket on 2 wheels, and maintains itself, can't get any better can you?

Only problem i've encountered is people watching me like a hawk as most robbers would like to see this in their garage! People have tried to steal mine 2 times already, although neither of them knew how to ride a bike as they dumped it on my front lawn...

Anyway, if you don't have a grand to blow on a bike, pick one of these up for 350-600$ you cannot go wrong!

***INCREDIBLE!!!***

Similar Products Used: Specialized P1 P2 P3 nothing compares to the Haro Escape series...
Brandon Watts   Weekend Warrior [Aug 30, 2005]

this is a follow up reveiw on my bike. the frame is still bombproof but a lot of other thing have broken or just not impressed me. the crank are horrible cant believe i bent them off a 5 foot drop. the bars and stem are really bad too but when i upgraded to my diablos bars and supergo stem it made all the diference in the world in stiffness there. i had replaced the marzocchi with manitou stance flows and that was a big mistake. i blow the rebound out of them in 4 months so i put an old psylo sl on there and there 10 times better. i love this bike for sure just need a lot of upgrades. i wish i would have just built it up from the frame but o well. have fun riding and it still get 5 flames

kirk   Weekend Warrior [Jul 04, 2005]
Strength:

dialed geometry, strong frame, looks cool (at least that's what people tell me), Haro heritage, price!, performance!

components(what do you expect, you can't even upgrade the fork for less than the cost of the whole bike!, WHICH IS GOOD). Fork sucks but adequate for some, same with brakes. Semi-high standover hieght, not all bad though.

If you want to ride on a low budget and get the maximum amount of pleasure per dollar, look no further you've found your bike. I have a blast on this bike. It rails like a motha'. Descends like a brick and climbs... well, like a light brick (at least). All kidding aside though it's not that bad climbing with this thing. Only on the REALLY steep stuff do I wish I was on my XC bike. Anyother time the Haro and I are one and loving it. Can't wait to upgrade the fork and brakes, the really only awful parts of the bike. I say awful for the downhills where you want a strong plush fork with powerful brakes. If this bike had the nice fork and brakes it would definetely get 5 chilis but it doesn't so it won't. Just fine otherwise. So anyways go check it out and have fun. I don't care