Yeti Cycles AS-X Freeride Freeride Full Suspension

The Yeti AS-X is a freeriders dream bike. 6 or 7 inches of plush travel launches off a Progressive Suspension 5th Element rear shock. The adjustment of travel is by transfering the dogbone linkage over to a second slot in the frame. The mulitpivot link

Cody   All Mountain Rider [Jan 21, 2013]
Strength:

Super balanced, climbs really well. Despite frame weight, can be built relatively light. 1.5" Headset is so nice after riding 1 1/8". Feels really solid and planted on the trail.

Honestly, the only drawback I have see is the vertical dropouts in the rear.I haven't had any troubles personally, but I am nervous about the small clamp area for rear QR.

I really like this bike...a lot. My riding has done nothing but improve after moving from my freeride hardtail to the AS-X. somehow it is a more efficient pedalling machine than my hardtail, which I think speaks volumes to the geometry of the frame, and the cockpit that it has. I can't say enough about the frame.

Gwiz   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2012]
Strength:

This Bike is a beast, didn't disappoint my expectations. Handled everything I asked for riding trails and even steep drops. Not bad at climbing but really shines when going down.

Great bike, would recommend to anyone

toby freeman   Weekend Warrior [Feb 10, 2011]
Strength:

everything

purshased at www.zeroos.co.uk made customley

Similar Products Used: none
Maurice Bakker   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2010]
Strength:

Overall it's fast on every terrain, reliabel and secure when you're dropping heights, true allround bike!!!!

Tiny degree of slack during sharp corners

Well i had to get use this bike, after riding my Yeti Arc for 15 years i thought it was time for the more serious drop offs, no weight weenie but KG increased but what a suprise that this bike moves so easily upwards on hills and even soft soil is like cutting butter with an hot knife.
Still pull out my ARC on occassion but my ASX is definitely more an allrounder and ready to go to battle on any turf.

Similar Products Used: I own an Arc for XC, different bike and uses but quality wise a 100% match....
swampwolf   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 2010]
Strength:

Strong build, pedals well for the weight, well balanced, good geo, very plush

Quite heavy, frame bearings wear faster than I would expect, very high standover height, fragile paint

Despite the problems listed, this is a very very good bike. Rode it for about 3 years in a wide range of terrains and it didn't let me down, from bike park riding to some light XC rides.

Got through a lot of other parts with no major problems on the frame, except fot having to change the bearings twice.

Highly recommended, especially for gravity riding!

Similar Products Used: Haro eXtreme X3
YETI05   Weekend Warrior [Oct 13, 2009]
Strength:

rails corners, strong, pops wheelies, geo, travel, pedals very well, manuverable, balance

heavy (came from ASR and hardtails), flexy rearend, high standover height

i have stopped riding my Yeti ASR and plan to sell it to upgrade parts on ASX. 1st time sitting on the bike i felt at home, geo was perfect except for standover height. don't mind standover height now because the bike is very well balanced. i can ride at very slow speeds around techy turns without free of falling over or haveing to put my foot down cause i'm going to slow. the bike pedals very good. i prefer to pedal this over my ASR on city streets, trails, and even uphill might not be as fast but feels more fun on this one. corners amazing, bike really likes to be steered with the body not the handlebars. wheelies and manuals very easy. suspension is very plush. feels rough on the small stuff but plush on the big stuff (told this is due to the fork and how i have my rear shock set up). bike can be built to suit ur needs. trail/FR/DH. i have 2 other bikes and i alway choose this one to ride everywhere. i might look out of place on city streets but now a days i find myself thinking i want to ride down that or jump off of that while riding. the bike is truly amazing and will open ur eyes to new lines and obsticals that u never thought to ride.

nickyeti   Downhiller [Aug 12, 2008]
Strength:

the parts spec.it rides great and handles everything. ITS A YETI!

the paint.and the back shock is hard to take off.

this is a great bike and i highy recomend it for freeride and downhill.

Similar Products Used: v10. iron horse sunday.foes fly.haro x7.
Perry Morgan   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2006]
Strength:

Well first off I was attracted to it's looks. I ordered the bike complete from the factory so the specs are what are shown on the yeti website. The interesting thing is that although the site shows it comes with x.7 gear it turned up with x.9. You gotta be happy with that :)

The powdercoated black finish has proved to be very durable. I chose to upgrade to this finish after reading reviews on this site pointing out the paint was a little too easily knocked about and so far I have been impressed with it and it's ease of cleaning. The dirt does not really stick to it.

This bike just feels "right" when you sit on it. The same sort of feeling you get when you sit on a new, big dirt bike, it just feels good under you and gives you that feeling that makes you just want to take it out and try all the stuff that used to freak you out.
The forks I got on mine (fox van 36's) are just beautiful. After riding my other bike with a set of triples on it I was a bit suspect about how the bike would cope with such soft forks. Even when I cranked up the preload it still felt too soft. But when I hit the trails it just soaked up EVERYTHING like it was no big deal. Now I've backed off the preload and it just turns the ugliest terrain into a cloud like ride.

Although no xc bike it is a capable climber putting my norco manik hardtail to shame (if the ground wasn't flat the thing would want to wheelstand all the way up).

I have ridden a few of these and the only problem the older ones had was some slight ovaling of the dogbone travel adjust holes. That has supposedly been remedied and apart from that I can find any. I am having a small issue with a bit of pedal feedback but I am told that can be gotten rid of by setting the shock up better. The previous one I rode with the 5th element did not suffer from it but I really am not familiar with shock settings and am doing a bit of trial and error as I learn.

My only little regret is that I did not go for the higher spec forks offered that may give a little more control over movement while climbing. The pike U-turns on the previous one I rode were awesome. With a casual flick of a lever the fork was buttery soft or rock solid.

Waiting for this to arrive in the shop reminded me of being a kid and waiting for santa. Time seemed to draaaaag. But man was it worth it. I just can describe the joy this bike brings me.

One of the things I LOVE about this bike is how quiet it is. The lower swingarm bars come up from the rear hub and then join the bike half way up the seatpost tube. That means the chain sits under the swingarm and there is no chain smashing into the bike as you go over rough stuff, and with the suspension being so damn good the thing decends like a ninja lol. Friends have comented on the fact they can't hear me closing in on them till it's too late.

I got it as a gift but I am still giving it a top value rating as I feel it is definatly a great bike for the money it costs and not one you will have to sell for half price because you have outgrown it's capabilities.

Similar Products Used: 04 Specialized hardrock sports (outgrew this thing FAST)

05 Norco Manik. Loved it but was a pig to climb with.

04 AS-X Med frame with Pike U-turns and 5th element. Felt much more nimble than it's bigger brother

04 AS-X Large frame with Sherman forks and 5th element (at 6'1") I found this much harder to just pop the front wheel up and over something
Dave   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 2007]
Strength:

Ultra Strong, Confidence Inspiring, Great Craftsmanship, Spot-on Geometry, Rides like a much lighter bike.

This bike is awesome. I own a bunch of bikes that I love but it seems I always take the AS-X. This bike can REALLY do it all. It may be a bit slow on the ups, but really, its not spec'd for that anyway and Yeti tells you that straightaway. I might add that I do manage stair climbs as-well-as drops. This bike can truly handle whatever you dish out. The Fox 5.0 rear / 36 Float fork combo really are a perfect match for my riding.

On a side note - it looks way cool and gets thumbs-ups wherever I go (everywhere).

Similar Products Used: Too many to list.....
topher   Downhiller [Jul 23, 2007]
Strength:

This bike is so unbelievably sick I can't even describe it. Smooth as hell over anything and rock solid, the faster you go the more in control you are!

wasn't free

if you're looking for a bike that can do it all the asx is totally rad, it's solid, smooth, and extremely stable, I love it and am extremely impressed with how well it rides!