Turner Highline Freeride Full Suspension

• Wheel Travel Adjustable 7.0" - 8.5"
  • Head Tube Angle (A) 66.5 - 65.0 Degrees
  • Seat Tube Angle (B) 73.5 - 72.0 Degrees
  • Chain Stay Length (C) 17.5"
  • Seat Post Diameter 27.2mm
  • Bottom Bracket Height (D) 14.25 - 15.0"

Scott   Downhiller [Sep 16, 2014]
Strength:

Bombproof, great suspension design, great predictable handling bike, stable in the air, stable on the steeps, can use newer tapered steerer 7" single crown forks, and if need be can use a 8" dual crown dh fork.

Back end has some play in it but I think it might just be do to worn out shock.

First two rides on it were at blackrock and dry hill in port Angeles on the pro/cat1 course and the bike was perfect. First ride on the bike at blackrock felt confident enough to hit the salad tosser step up from the disorder film. Racing at PA I was riding with a blown out knee and still managed to not get last in the Cat 1 19-29 class and I give thanks to the highline for that.

Similar Products Used: Oddly handles very similar to my 04 turner Dhr in respect to descending and jumping but has more progression to the suspension design then the old DHR.
AllMountainRider1111   Racer [Jun 26, 2009]
Strength:

Super Strong, Plush Design

Heavy

This bike is awesome. For 37lbs, I can climb this on almost any trail because it's so efficient. On the downhill, it rides like a DH bike. I wish Turner hadn't stopped making these!

Similar Products Used: Intense M6, Santa Cruz V10, Turner DHR
YoPawn   Weekend Warrior [Jun 17, 2009]
Strength:

Uber strong
Super supple suspension
Strongest pivots of any bike known to mankind, with needle bearings and grease ports. Knolly can eat a fat one in comparison!
No stickers. Just some etched logos.
Perfect cable routing.
Climbs better than any bike I've ever ridden, when equipped with lightweight tires. Mine has 2.35 Nevegals and feels amazing on the DH too.
Takes drops like they are not there. Which gives you the confidence to launch off anything without even seeing the landing first. Also gives me confidence to ride without my fullface.
Pretty damn crash resistant. You have to really screw up to crash on this bike. It tracks straight, stays upright, and just down right plows through crap as you pucker up.
Full length seat tube
Looks beautiful.

This bike is the best in every single way. It's no hype.

Not being made any longer. :(

The main pivot bolt near the BB can get loose after a lot of riding and is hard to keep tight again. It is also impossible to tighten without taking the cranks off. You can call Turner and order an upgrade kit that holds tighter and can be tightened without taking the cranks off.

This is the best bike ever made. And you can't buy one new.

If you can get a used one DO IT! Turner transfers the warranty over to the next owner.

This bike is going to last me for at least 5 years before I even think of buying a new frame.

Also, this is the perfect do everything bike. With light tires on there and 175mm cranks, this thing flies uphill, through anything. I take mine over the hardtail for even pure XC rides. It just floats over bumps so even though it does weigh more, you spend much less energy getting out of the saddle and getting caught up on bumpy stuff. I did the McKenzie River Trail (27 miles, half pretty gnarly) on mine and it was a dream.

Similar Products Used: Other than going squish-boing and having two wheels. There is nothing similar to this masterpiece.
chumbot   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2009]
Strength:

Indestructible on the downhill, climbs anything on the uphill. Corners on rails and handles like it's 10 pounds lighter than it reall is.

None, other than it makes all your friends look weak.

I bought this bike for downhilling at the local ski resorts. Most of my buddies ride XC bikes, so I thought I would keep my Cannondale Prophet for doing rides with them, but now the Highline is the only bike I ride no matter where we go. I can climb everything my friends can on their XC bikes, and sometimes a lot more! But downhill is where it really shines, whether it's carving on a tight and twisty trail, or bombing down a steep chute with a bunch of drops, it takes it all and begs for more.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Prophet
shanedawg   Downhiller [Sep 09, 2008]
Strength:

Burly design, geometry, cable routing, stiffness, needle bearings with zerks, Turner support and service, stealthy look of 06 model.

Some early chainstay issues but they got taken care of really well. Mine never broke but they set me up with new ones anyway. Lack of manual or diagrams for needle bearing maintenance. BB of 06 model with the 8in travel is a little high for tight switchbacks with nasty roots, but that's fixable with a different shock if you want. I like it most of the time because I rarely clip a pedal.

I've had this bike for over 2 years now and have made a bunch of changes to it since I first built it. It was my first bike with a double crown fork and my first bike with more than 6in of travel so I kinda expected that. I recently switched the 2in rise bars and 53mm integrated Marz stem on the 888 with a 60mm gap stem and mid rise easton bar that was wider. This helped the handling so much I can't even begin to tell you. I think it was basically related to the fact that the 06 small top tube was a little short for me and my weight was too far behind the BB while standing. I also just pushed the rear shock and this helped the rear suspension really come alive. I can now boost huge air with the bike really taking flight nicely and if I do come up short it sucks it up like mad. It takes big drops like butter now compared to before, when it was just a bit harsh. The other changes I have made were to add a bigger rotor in back. The back end had so much traction that sometimes it seemed that the front end would not rail as well as I wanted. With the new stem, bars adding weight to the front and the bigger brake in back I can now pitch the bike anywhere I want to on sketchy, steep rock faces in north van or whistler type terrain.

So enough about the bike fit and tuning...I really think that Turner got this bike super dialed in 08 and now they are discontinuing it? Is this like the RFX back in 03? Maybe the market will come back around and Turner can start making the highline again in 2010 or something cause it's a rocking bike. For a DH/Freeride bike it is so problem free I'm blown away. The pivots have never squeeked, the frame shows no signs of looseness or slop in the back end, the finish is strong and contrary to the below posters I found it very easy to clean using something like finish line orange degreaser, or even rubbing alcohol with a clean cloth.

I wish the price for bikes was lower but if this bike lasts as well as I think it will I think the price might be justified. I do think that the huge discount on the remaining frames is gonna drive down the resale of the frame if I ever find something better so I'm gonna put down a 4 chillis rating for value.

Similar Products Used: many, many bikes demoed or tested but the ones I have spent time on in this catergory are the DHR, 01 RFX, Specialized demo line a little, Foes Fly, Titus Quasi Moto, Titus super moto, Transition Blindside, Santa Cruz Bullet, etc.
scepticshock   Weekend Warrior [Aug 16, 2008]
Strength:

Incredibly well made and good looking frame. Full needle bearings with zerk fittings on all pivots. Rides like a mini-downhill bike that you can pedal up. Unbeatable customer service from Turner.

Hard to find a weakness. Maybe a little heavy, but this bike is pretty bombproof.

Grab one of these awesome rides before they are discontinued next year.

I have the 06 front mated to the 08 Rear in the 7.1" travel mode. After over six months of riding everything is tight and perfect.

From the first time out on this bike, I felt like I was able to push it much harder then my 6" bike. Nice and stable at speed, and well composed in the rocks, Really fun in tight single track. Climbs tech rocky sections really nicely.

I'd say if your looking for a bike between a 6" all mountain and full on downhill this is your bike. I have so much fun on my Highline I pretty much ride it all the time.

Similar Products Used: RFX, Titus Quasi-Moto, M-1
Robert   Downhiller [May 28, 2008]
Strength:

Round Tubing, About 10 pounds, Great Customer Service, Simple design, no strange welds or cuts. American Made. Color options. 1.5 head tube. There sizing is right on.

The brushed alum. frame gets dirty fast, hard to clean. Expensive.

This is by far my favorite bike. It feels great flying out of berms and takes a lot of hits. I have the 8" travel version and I don't think I would want it any other way. If you're about 5'11" then the medium frame will be perfect for you. This is one of the top brands, and you can only expect the best customer service and frame quality. They go the extra mile to make sure every part is perfect. A company that truly cares for it customer and at the same time makes the best bikes on the market, whatever it is DH, XC, FR, AM.

Similar Products Used: Turner DHR, Marin, Santa Cruz
Corey   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2007]
Strength:

Sexy, super light, fast, plush, pedals. Its a do-all, no compromise bike.

It gets dirty when you ride it.

Buy this bike. Not even almost overpriced. Mine weighs 38 pounds with some heavy duty stuff on it. Very nimble. Good frame shape. Embarrass the XC guys going up and the DH guys going down. BUY THIS BIKE.

ryan cowling   Downhiller [Mar 07, 2006]
Strength:

pedals as good as a five spot

this bike will change freeride

Similar Products Used: turner dhr ,turner sixpack
Kym Howell   Weekend Warrior [Feb 08, 2006]
Strength:

The lack of stickers, I hate stickers. The frame was in basically bare metal for the demo so you could see it "naked" and it gave me a hardon for sure. Beautiful welds, greaseable pivots, machined derailleur hanger that was part of thru axle, the logos that are engraved into the metal, the more I looked the more I liked. Dave Turner was on hand and just talking to him and hearing his knowledge, opinions and beliefs just made the bike all that much more appealing to me. Quality product built by a quality guy.

Made my knees weak, and difficult for me to stop scheming of a way to get one.

I showed up at the demo just to see what was going on and already had plans to ride with friends on a different trail but in the end couldn't resist the opportunity to ride this bike. I'd never ridden the Geronimo trail(Phx,South Mtn), only hiked it and new it would be a challenge. This isnt the roughest trail around but it is the roughest most technical ride I'd ever been on in my 3 years of riding. This bike got me through everything and added a big boost of confidence. If I had come prepared and brought my armor and full face helmet.... I might have killed myself trying new stuff but afterwards they could have carted me away and this bike would be ready to go again. Thanks again Dave I had a blast.