Trek Liquid 10 Freeride Full Suspension

Peter   Cross Country Rider [Apr 30, 2007]
Strength:

Hayes HFX 9 brakes, mecks, gears, nice paint job

The frame is very very weeke !!!! (dents easily) , is shock bottoms out alot, forks are poor,

this bike is not worth the money, if our an aggresive rides do not buy this bike you with snap the frame

adam   Weekend Warrior [May 27, 2007]
Strength:

great colour, adjustable suspension is kool, manitou blacks are very sellable, realli light wheels and general low weight mine is about 30lbs. stock saddle is comfy and stock grips are immense except they wore out quick.the mechs are fine but i upgraded coz i had some lyin about. once you get the drivechain tuned properly it runs smooth as silk and doesnt make a sound.

small dent in top tube but i think its just aesthetic its not gotten bigger or anythin. stock tyres are realli bad front tyre slipped out on a berm. my hfx 9s were crap but my friends were good, couldnt find the problem with them tho

what i like most about the bike is how versitile it is. 4 inches is good for jumpin and xc and 5 inches is better if you are lookin for a bit more comfort on a rocky trail. fab bike pick up the best bargin you will ever find on paulscycles.com.

Similar Products Used: i've bn on a friends kona coiler and another mates big hit
John   Weekend Warrior [Jul 01, 2006]
Strength:

Good Frame and components. Reasonably light for a trailbike/ freeride bike.

Fork, low bottom bracket

This is a good do it all bike. I traded up from a GT I-Drive 5.0 and the difference is incredable. I like the fact that I can go on a 24 mile ride with it then turn around and huck stairs and loading docks later that night.

I was a bit concerned with the carbon fiber seat stays at first but now I don't mind them to much. i have put this bike through some pretty tough downhill runs at snowshoe and rocked some 5 foot drops to flat pavement at the college I go to and haven't had a problem.

In fact the only two problems I have are the fork and the fact that I nail my pedals and crank arms on even the smallest of rocks on the trail. The springs in the fork are too soft for bigger riders like me (6'2" 200lbs). I finally got rid of the fork when I went to Snowshoe and fell off a north shore style catwalk about 5 feet in the air. I didn't realize it till a few weeks later that I had bent the fork ever so slightly. I got a Rockshox Psylo (had one on my old GT) and love it all the more. I feel that the front and rear suspension work better together and when I crank the travel out to 5 inches all around dropping stairs is cake.

I think the large frames come with 175mm crank arms and I manage to hit everything and anything on the trail. It is annoying because sometimes I come down on a rock with a pedal perpendicular to the ground and when the suspension compresses the pedal hits the rock, effectively locks out the suspension and kills any momentum I have. I toasted my outer chain ring that way too. But its ok since I'm going to get a bashguard soon anyway.

4 flamin' chilis for value and 3 flamin' chilis overall. It would have gotten 4 flamin' chilis but the manitou black fork sucks and beating my pedals to death is never a good time.

All in all it is a good solid bike. Any rider who wants it all can have it in this package. The Fox Talas shock has their ProPedal valving and the carbon fiber seatstays do a good job of reducing bob. I've ridden freeride street, single track, fire roads, mountain cross, skate parks, downhill, and dirt jump parks with this bike with no problems at all. Enough said!

Similar Products Used: Jamis Dakar XLT (friends bike)
Joseph   Weekend Warrior [Oct 24, 2006]
Strength:

Very comfortable frame, hayes hydraulic disc brakes.

Manitou Black fork. Just generally poor performing shock. Travel adjust changes stiffness of the fork too much. Stock bontrager wheels are too weak for heavier riders (250+).

The stock setup is a good value, but not durable enough for clydes. I bent the front wheel on a 3' drop. The fork nowhere stiff enough for me from the beginning, perhaps with stiffer springs or some other help it would feel better but I just replaced it with an All Mountain SL and I have never looked back. Upgraded to hope brakes and Crossmax wheels and the bike is great. Overall I would say that this is a great value for lighter riders or riders who are gentler on their gear, I am neither.

Similar Products Used: Specialized enduro comp.
Supercraig   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2006]
Strength:

Adjustable travel, Fox TALAS shock, great handling

Cane Creek aHeadset, Manitou Black Comp fork,

Upgrading the fork to a 2006 Marzocchi All Mountain 2 immediately improved the performance of this bike. The adjustable travel compliments the trail systems in my area. The frame will soak up anything that my Norco Launch would. Highly recommended. The only thing keeping this from 4 flaming chilis is the poor performance of the Manitou Black fork and some the stock Bonty parts.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Heckler, Norco VPS Launch,
byron   [Jun 05, 2005]

I purchase my liquid 10 on June 22 2004 and love it since day one; it is a great bike capable of handling XC stuff and small jumps 2 to 4 feet just fine. but sadly on June
1st 2005 less then a year later the main triangle broke from the weld at the rocker arm and the seat tube .I was surprise given that I am not a rough rider and the bike was not a year old, also is not my only bike so it was not out with me all the time I was riding but anyway I took it to my local trek dealer and they send it to trek for warranty.
I will post again when ever my problem is resolve .for now I guess I will just ride my Gemini.

Jan Lopuski   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2005]
Strength:

Solid built bike! Great suspension, love the abilty to adjust the travel.

Frame has a mount for two bottle cages, but only one is useable. The second rak is on the bottom of the frame directly behind the front tire cathcing every piece of dirt, mud and horse crap that come off the front tire. I guess this sin't really a legitimate complaint. I worked around it by going to a Camel Back. Ok I guess if I had to say something it would be that the front fork is just a tad on the soft side.

I love this bike! I stepped up from a GT Backwoods, aluminum frame MTB with NO SUSPENSION. I was looking for a Cross Country bike but came across the Liquid 10 at a shop on sale at an attractive price. I walked away from it once because I had some concerns if an All Mountain Bike was in my best interest. I looked at a Fuel 90 at another store, which was on sale for the same price as the Liquid. I wanted the disc brakes and thought what's a little extra suspension travel really going to hurt? I went back to the other shop and bought the Liquid on the premises that if I was not totally satisfied with it after riding it for a week. I could return it for full credit to another bike. I took the bike out the day I got it for a 6-mile ride. Took it out the next day for a 27-mile ride. By the end of the ride I knew this bike was perfect for me. My concern that the suspension was going to be too soft was not an issue. Setting the air pressure in the rear shock to my body weight gave me the ideal ride.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Cake 3 DLX
AJ   Racer [Oct 27, 2004]
Strength:

In my other post.

In my other post.

This is just an update from what I wrote the first time around. I have had this bike for a little over a year now and it performs good for XC, a little bit of freeride and juss good for trails. On the weekend of October 23, 2004 I rode Diablo Freeride Park at Mountain Creek in Vernon New Jersey and there were alot of bad things that I didnt like on the bike. The rear shock is air and you should always have it filled to the max because if u dont then you will bottom it out and with all that air in the rear the shock doesnt respond to every bump and it doesnt feel soft and flowy. Really this was the only weakness. But come next riding season I'm hoping to buy a new bike hopefully the DH Comp by Giant. Bottom line AIR shocks arent good for DH or Extreme Freeride!!!! I will still rate the bike good because it has held up to my punishment from creek and riding hard round my house.

Similar Products Used: In my other post.
crave   Weekend Warrior [Oct 31, 2004]
Strength:

Very stable ride, eats up singletrack like a pregnant woman in an ice cream shop. I've been in a couple of situations where I was glad to have the extra travel and wider tires.

Front-end is mushy, I'm 185 lbs. so had to put heavy duty spring in the fork (Rock Shox Pyslo C). Also didn't come with QR seatclamp. Not the best climber, but if a good climber get yourself a hardtail. Component group is decent, but will upgrade piece by piece.

The bottom line is this bike is a pleasure to ride. If you are looking for a good all around trail bike this is it. It can handle just about anything from XC to freeride, and even some DH.

Similar Products Used: Calio FSK, Gary Fisher Cake
AJ   Racer [Aug 26, 2004]
Strength:

I have the silver 2003 model and its great for what i spent on it, I could ask for only minor changes that would make the bike a lil better, like the rear shock, I would upgrade to a coil or the Fox Tales RL. The forks work great and so does the rear shock. Ive been to Mountain Creek a few times and the trails i go on, the bike responded great. NO PEDAL BOB WHAT SO EVER!!!

Only a few weaknesses like the dampning system in the front forks; i dropped 6 1/2 feet missed my transition and landed too forward on the front and it shattered and the stock grips sucked and i changed the stock clipless pedals to flats (bmx pedals). There werent any real bad weaknesses

The bottom line is that this bike ROCKS!! Trek did a good job and coming up with and all mountain bike that feels soo good on the trails. this bike jumps and lands perfect. could not ask for more. if your looking at buying a bike for a beginner that will advance this is a great bike for that.

Ride Hard, Ride Free
Life Is Short, Ride Hard.