Scott Nitrous SL 22 Freeride Full Suspension

• Shifters: Shimano Deore / RF-fire SL
  • Brake Levers:Shimano M 525 Disc
  • Brakes: Shimano M 525 Disc / 203 mm rotor F and / 160 mm rotor R

greg sjothun   Downhiller [Jun 07, 2010]
Strength:

its a climber thats for sure it has very low pedal bob for a 6" travel bike

skinny ass rims to weak for my 250 # body and the seat what a rock hard p o c

owned for 3 years now what a great bike it can do anything you throw at it and then begs for more.

Similar Products Used: Turner/Specialized/rocky mountain
Scott Merrill   Downhiller [Sep 12, 2007]
Strength:

The frame looks like a beast, but I am 6'4 and got an appropriately sized bike so it is a beast, but the frame is suprising light and gives me no problem riding it uphill, or throwing it over my shoulders when things get too steep.

Definitely the seat!!! Horribly uncomfortable

This bike is built for whatever you can stand, you can see it when you look at it and feel it when you ride. Very comfortable for cross country jaunts, and when its downhill time, bomb it!!! You'll be fine. I ahve had some minor drive train malfunctions be I should proboly clean all that more than I do.
The suspension is great, front and back. The All-Mountain 3 can take a beating and so can the DP20 Disc Rims, and the Swinger three-way absorbs a lot of the bob. Definitely worth whatever you pay for it!!!

Similar Products Used: None, this one is in a class of it's own.
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Jan 26, 2006]
Strength:

This is a fairly light bike for the travel it has. The rear shock is really adjustable and not too difficult to set up. The frame seems to be stiff enough for my riding style and could do some real big drops if you are into that. I have changed out some of the components for higher end so I can't comment on the brakes, levers, shifters, tires, saddle, stem and bars. Man thats a lot of upgrades, I had them on another bike. This bike handles very quick because of the head angle and that is a plus for me cause I like aggressive single track and technical downhill stuff. 1.5" headset availability.

Seat cannot go all the way down or the post will rip up the shock. Marzocchi All Mountain 3's are not very adjustable so you are stuck with whatever compression settings are built ito the fork (I emailed Marzocchi and found out that this fork cannot be upgraded).

This is a treat to ride on a rocky downhill and can still be able to ride back to the top and do it again. I like the single pivot design because I think it has less flex than my Jamis does. So far so good, I'll update in a few months.

Similar Products Used: Jamis Dakar Expert, Dirt works Piranha, Speciaized Hardrock, Raleigh m7000 and a Pro Flex Beast.
tom everill   Downhiller [Jul 06, 2006]
Strength:

everything!!!...exvept saddle

saddle...very very unconfortable

this is an update on my last review and this time i know the bike better. I had a problem with the manitou 3 way loosing air so got it sent off, got a brand new 06 one as mine was knackered :) I love this bike!!! slowly upgrading it to be slightly more downhill, but it will do anything you can find and more!

Similar Products Used: bullit, vp free
Mark Wingate   [Jul 02, 2006]
Strength:

Looks Cool

Might get stolen

Why was this model discontinued?

Similar Products Used: None
Shahar Waserman   Weekend Warrior [Jul 18, 2005]
Strength:

Front Fork: MARZOCCHI MARZOCCHI MARZOCCHI - should i say more !!??

Rear: The manitou swinger SPV is a known success, Altough the frame is a single pivot system the Swinger kills the BOB !!

FRAME: The sticker says Super Light - The sticker is Correct - Trust the sticker !!!

RIMS + WHEELS: The wheels are 2.35 from scott and the rims are ALEX DP20, I'm not a veteran FR but the tires stick to the ground in turns like a baby sticks to his mother's....

Seat: This is Scott's progressive seat and i do reccomend you make a progress and change to something a bit more comfortable (WTB or bontrager)

HUBS: I don't know why i put this under weaknesses but 2 of my friends warned me the LX hubs won't last very long - We shall see !

This is my first FR bike so comparison is a bit hard, but still...
I Wanted a bike that would enable me to FR and yet still be suitable for XC every once in a while --> The SL 22 is a perfect match !!
I'm doing drops I didn't even beleive i could do with such an ease, The MARZOCCHI and M_SWINGER together with the NITROUS SL frame is a winning combo.
Oh, I almost Forgot the Bikes has a massive Sex Appeal !! - this is one good looking piece of cycles. go and get them.

Similar Products Used: TREK FUEL, GIANT NRS and a few rides on a SC Heckler
Mark Greenwood   Cross Country Rider [Aug 14, 2005]
Strength:

Yeoww! I feel like I'm breaking the Law. It's light, everything works right on. Oversized stem and bar. no bobbing.

Would have liked a little more steerer tube for my height. (Shipped precut), (I'm 6'3")Will upgrade to triple clamp fork in the way future.

Again I say YEOHWWWW. I've been getting out of the house for a ride after ride. Up the mountain and down the mountain. Setting up the 3 way rear is interesting and fun. Disk brakes are unbelievable! Changing dirt composition has no effect on braking vrs. the delay experienced with rim stop brakes. Oh yeah, did I already say it is light? It is.
The rebound adjustment is easy to get to and very important as I have been pogoed up without enough of it.
Would like to install fenders to protect the hydroformed Aluminum frame. (Suggest Telescopic seat post as well)
Peace.

Similar Products Used: demoed a few full suspension bikes, Been shopping for 10+ years.
tom everill   [Jan 13, 2006]
Strength:

amazingly light, strong, a proper do it all bike

hard saddle, soooooo uncomfortable

this bike is amazing, my friends have all gott light xc bikes and i have no problem keeping up with them...even though they are much fitter, then it gets to a downhill section and they cant touch me.
The rear end is solid and smooth with hardly any pedal bob, fork is amazing nothing i have ridden compares to the smoothness, but am lookin to upgrade to manitou dorados for downhilling. If you want a bike you can jump on and do anything and keep up with people on a specific bikes, you should stop reading this review and buy one