Schwinn Rocket LTD Freeride Full Suspension

• Shifters: Shimano Hone Dual-Control ST-M600
  • Freewheel: Shimano 11-34 9-speed
  • Chain: Shimano HG-73 super narrow

Eric Cullum   Cross Country Rider [Jun 28, 2007]

Now I've ridden this thing on some actual trails and it is awesome. I let the suspension out all the way and it flew! I am so happy with this thing! I still don't know why nobody ever hears about this bike. I've heard about the bushings drying out but I have heard very few squeaks otu of it. Climinbing over roots and flying over drops it does nothing but go where you can make it go.

Eric Cullum   [May 23, 2007]
Strength:

I have owned a Gary Fisher, a Mongoose, and a Raleigh M-80 previous to this bike and I am so happy I stumbled onto this deal. I have not tested this bike like I will be considering I live on a giant sand bar named South Florida however, I love it. The HONE components may be about 5th in line from Shimano but I really enjoy them. The suspension is easily adjusted and even without a lockout feature on the Manitou black shock it is stiff enough to pound on the road. I look very forward to riding the hell out of this thing when I move back to Michigan. I am just curious why you never see this bike reviewed or advertised? Is it because Schwinn has been cast as the Target brand? Anyway, I am stoked on this bike.

Don't know yet. I have only ridden it about 600 miles on the road since late January and I have had it out on some really flat sandy trails.

Hell of a deal for $699. I am stoked.

Stephen O'Raw   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2005]
Strength:

Great ride, decent componentry at a good price

Stem is too long, suspension bushes needed replacing after 200km's riding (Factory fault apparently), no documentation on suspension set up. Hone rear derailleur needs allen keys to take the rear wheel off - no quick release lever.

This is a great product that seems to suffer from poor image or marketing in South Africa & the UK. None of the UK magazines even mention the bike. I have ridden the Scott Genius bikes and this one blows them away in terms of ride quality. Seated climbing is a breeze, the long front suspension tends to lift the front too much on steep uphills but traction is top notch. Cranking the suspension travel down on non-technical trails helps but the Manitou Black front fork is almost too good to keep cranked down to its 90mm short setting. At its 120 mm setting it soaks up just about everything and trails I would normally have avoided for fear of endos on my old bike have become more accessible and more fun. The rear suspension (Manito Radium R) required some setting up but the Iso drive system (BB is not fixed to the main frame triangle, Like Mongoose and GT) is very well sorted and there is no discernible bob when pedalling seated. When standing the front fork bobs a bit too much for my liking but I seem to have found a high gear, lower cadence technique that limits this. The Hone components are excellent for the XC/trail riding I do and the brakes are particularly good, v-brakes suck after trying out these puppies. At 37 years old the body can take some strain on long rides but this bike is so comfortable that I have started to ignore my road bike. Who should buy this bike? Anybody who wants to lift their MTB enjoyment level by riding something that seems to be able to handle XC, a bit of trail riding and some scary descents without turning into a Downhiller. The bang-for-your-buck quotient is excellent, this bike trades for about R 2500 ($375)less than the entry-level Scott Genius mc 50 and the component spec is far superior. If you want a bike that is technically very competent , comfortable without sacrificing ability and good value then look no further. It might not have the street cred of a Yeti, K2 or a funky Kona moniker but it is an excellent bike.

Similar Products Used: Scott MC 50
Crystal Bynum-Wynn   Weekend Warrior [Nov 04, 2007]
Strength:

Great buy for the money, I got the 2006 model year (the last year they made this bike)Got it in 97 as a leftover, and I am so glad I did. This is the 3rd full suspension Schwinn I have owned. This is by far the best suspension design.(Had a S-10, Homegrown Carbon-sweet spot, and this Iso Drive). Great over rough terrain and awsome on decents.

Being associated with Pacific Cycles..this really is a great bike though...no one believes me until they ride it! Needs to shed some weight.

This bike retailed new for $1700.00, it was a steal for the $1000.00 I paid. Durable and comfortable. Looks sweet! Great components for the money!!