Rocky Mountain ETSX-90 Freeride Full Suspension

• Head Set: FSA Orbit X-Pro
  • Seat Post: Race Face Next XC
  • Saddle: Selle ITALIA C2

LAMY DAVE   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2006]
Strength:

- Handbuild frame, scandium .
- For me the real definition of a Mountain bike : XC to "light" downhill thanks to the "on-the-go" travel modification.

As usual with RM : the wheels. I bought it with Deore Hubs and Mavic x223 rims :-( not with crossmax SL

This bike will go everywhere especially when you have to climb, if you have the legs ...

Similar Products Used: ETS X 30-2003 Broken
OVERALL
Mark Forgy   [Sep 29, 2005]
Strength:

First-this, nor any ETSX is a freeride bike-this is an XC/all mountain bike. Spec'd from the factory this bike weighs in at 25#. With a few minor changes (tires, handlebars, seat) I was able to get it down to 24.5#, which is amazing for a 5" X 4.5" bike. Great handling characteristics, well mannered, good on the bigger hits yet light enough to race XC.

The carbon tail. I happened to be one of the lucky three from my understanding who had problems with the carbon tail (a rear bearing was spinning and sliding causing a really loud creak). As a result, Rocky Mountain replaced it with an aluminum tail (over-nighted) to get me back on the trail and it is my understanding they will not be offering the carbon in 2006 and I'll continue to have an aluminum tail.

I love this bike. No doubt about it. She's a sweet all mountain bike with the weight of a XC race machine. I feel comfortable taking 18" drops and managed to take second at the state championship and first in USA Cycling in my age and class this year on this machine.

However, I am disappointed in the carbon tail. After two years of prototyping my sponsor spent a pretty penny to get me a top end bike that had one of the most bling components fail to live up to expectations. While their service was outstanding, getting me back on the bike in the same week, there hasn't been any follow up to try to replace the tail with carbon again and now I've been told that there won't be. The carbon tail took 4 oz. off the bike vs. the aluminum, plus the bling factor, yet Rocky has done nothing, thus far, to compensate me or my sponsor for the change. While I do have a full XTR bike that is a blast to ride, the carbon tail thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'll let you know if they deliver something to resolve this final issue.

Similar Products Used: 2003 RM ETSX-50, 1998 Klein Mantra Comp, 1996 Bontrager Privateer, 2003 Klein Palamino (demo), 2003 Yeti ASR (demo)
OVERALL