Norco VPS Shore Freeride Full Suspension

Gman Jackson   Downhiller [Jun 04, 2011]
Strength:

The frame is indestructible, well put together. Components are amazing, the 888RC in the front and the DHX 5.0 in the back do a perfect job of complementing eachother. It has a very low centre of gravity as well, so cornering is easy, as well as balancing it in the air. Hits tons of small bumps without even feeling them, you can run over a small child and not even notice!

My only beef with the product is weight, mine weighs in at 48.25Lbs. This is with Vee Rubber Ninja tires, and lighter tubes. Don't like the telescoping seat post, but you get used to it, if you want it to stay where you want it, you just have to REALLY tighten the release.

Aside from the weight, this bike is absolutely perfect. It does everything, including getting you in shape!!! The pro pedal on the shock is huge for helping with the hills and more technical stuff. The geometry of the bike is also incredible. My head angle is 64.5 degrees, so its amazing for cornering, and keeping you on the bike on steep hills. I love Norco, and will never switch to anything else, they have been great bikes for me. I rode the Kona and did not like it at all, it was much lighter, but felt unstable, and had less travel. Bottom Line: if you want a DH/Freeride bike that you don't have to pedal uphill with, GET THIS BIKE!!!!! Oh, and the best part was I got mine for 500 because the rear shock needed a DU Bushing...

Similar Products Used: Norco VPS Drop, Kona Stinky (demo).
cainmartin   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2009]
Strength:

strong, can climb well in the 6" travel mode with the fork crowns down. Can stay stable on the corners and eats up steep, rough descents in the 7" mode. So far good on drops, (I've done up to around 10+ feet) all trails and even dirt jumps!
It's been running 5 years with no new parts or serious servicing (until I bought it). That shows serious toughness!
shimano saint as stock.

the shock bushings and linkage bearings have worn a lot (although it has seen 5 years of use) and need replacing. This is a £60 job although only necessary if you corner very aggressively or hate shaky, noisy, bendy linkage.
the stock wheels aren't the best and the stock brakes aren't either. I've upgraded to hope M4's and should be getting some Deemaxs to replace the axiom hubs/alexrims currently on the bike.
The SRAM gripshift - I guess its a personal prefrence. I replaced this with XT shifters.

the perfect all day bike for an adrenalin junkie who likes an uphill challenge. It can climb with the rest if you put in a bit of muscle but will really show what it can do on downhill and north shore style trails. Great fun at freeride parks and not too clumsy too pull tricks on. Unfortunatly, if you want one it's going to be second hand and will probably require some work to get it set up right (I'm still not quite there!)

Monster J   Downhiller [Feb 14, 2009]
Strength:

Super low center of gravity compare to 07's. Beefy headtube and nice weld through out the frame. Good component choice and super good value. Literally bomb proof.

None so far.

For the best bang for the buck and a bike that will last you a life time, get this bike!

Similar Products Used: Azonic, Trek, etc...
Corey Pearson   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2006]
Strength:

Amazing Build, Top end parts, Dhx 5.0 with vps rear is incredibly smooth, quiet, and this bike doesnt feel the least bit flexy in the back. 66vf2 fork is lighter, and similar performance to 888's, however can spin all the way around on this frame... (doesnt leave dings and allows you to steer tighter than a DC fork). with propedal turned up, the bike actually climbs like a goat (a slower heavy goat), but it also has a granny gear and an e-13 Dual chain guide to allow for easier climbs and prevent the chain from shifting off or sucking inward.

titec scoper seatpost doesnt totally clamp down tight, seat sometimes moves, but on the bright side... you can use the scoper to figure out the exact seat post size you need then cut a regular one to custom fit the bike... will do this with a syncros seatpost soon.

This is the brand new 2006 Norco Shore 1. the frame has significantly changed over previous shores and combined with the lighter wheelset, lighter 66 single crown fork, and the top end build, makes for a very light (39 pounds) all around freeride bike that you can actually pedal uphill. I know that some people will say that 39 pounds is still heavy... for an all around all mountain trailbike it may be (you can buy the norco six one and get a lighter bike), but this is a true freeride bike... it is burly with extra gussets and reinforcement in all key areas to take all abuse you might throw its way. I have taken a few smaller drops and it can make a two footer feel like the curb outside your house, the bike can turn very tight and windy singletrack in the trees is easier with the single crown fork. This bike was designed specifically for the type of trails that BC is famous for, I am learning that the only thing holding me back from what this bike can do is my own fear, but that is shrinking the more I ride this bike... I think with the top end parts that are on this bike it is definitely worth the 4200 canadian MSRP, if you can get your hands on one for a serious test drive... It will leave you with a S#@t eating grin.

Similar Products Used: Specialized big hit, santa cruz vp-free, kona stinky, older Norco vps bikes.
rob kuhn   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2007]
Strength:

Strong welds and excellent overall geometry. Bike feels very stable under your feet and it climbs rather well.

Weight; but climbs well which I believe has to do with the geometry of the bike. Because it doesn't have a traditional top tube it doesn't fit easily into some repair stands. Would have been nice if it had ISCG

I love this frame! I was fortunate to find a seller on eBay who was upgrading and just wanted it out of his garage. $450 is what the rear Fox Shock would have cost me! I'm experimenting with some various front forks. I orginally was running it with the Marzocchi which was a perfect combo for an all-mountain bike that could do some free riding and even some downhill. As of this writing, I'm running my older 2005 Manitou Stance Kingpin which does make it a bit nose heavy. Overall I was very suprised at how well it climbs! I think this has to do with the over all geometry of the frame. It's also very nimble and though it weighs more than your average XC bike, I have taken it on such rides and did rather well. I'm still learning this frame but with each ride I get more confident with it to where it will be like my Specialized frame where "it just feels natural" and I don't have to "think" about it.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Enduro
Matt Y   Downhiller [Mar 12, 2006]
Strength:

INDESTRUCTIBLE. The only thing on this bike that I have ever broke was the freehub, and after the second one only lasting a month, a Saint fixed that problem. Can be used to pedal uphill as well, even though it is beefy. Gotta love the Super T's

price, seat gets bent from the little guys too easily

Great all around bike. It can keep up with downhil bikes such as the A-line, but can also be used for freeriding, big drips, etc. My buddys with A-lines will bottom off small drops, but the shore won't off of the big ones (10+ feet)unless your landing on flat.I would recommend this bike to anyone, even though the cost is a little hefty. It will repay you with the reliability. I have beaten mine up a lot, hitting many trees, stumps, rocks, ground, etc. and have still not had to fix anything. I love this bike.

Similar Products Used: Norco A-line, Atomik, Fuse
Charley Murphey   Downhiller [Oct 11, 2005]
Strength:

Built with all the highest level components, frame is bullet proof but not too heavy, forks are awesome, everything is awesome.

Maybe the tires? nah... everythings good

But it, If you can find it for under 2500 just get it, plain and simple. Its the best ride for the money, and one of the best overall. Perfect for the freerider in you, and everyone else. I havn't broken a single component yet, and dont plan on it in the future. BUY THIS BIKE!

Similar Products Used: Older vps bikes, Kona stinkys, big hit, etc.
Todd Wiltse   Downhiller [Aug 13, 2006]
Strength:

This review is for the 2005 model: The frame is extremely well built, and it comes with excellent components like the Syncros wheels, Hayes MAG brakes, Fox DHX 5.0 shock, and Marzo 888R fork. The price is right, it looks cool (I've had many compliments on the trail), and the 4-Bar VPS suspension really works great in all conditions.

Weighs 47 lbs. Comes with unsealed BMX-style platform pedals that wear out quickly when exposed the mud and crud you see in the woods. Adjustable geometry only has one useful setting.

I really like this bike, it's made me a better rider in the five or six months I've been riding it. I can't believe it, but it is even better than the 2003 Shore I rode for the past couple of seasons. And I liked that bike a lot! The 2006 Shore inspires confidence in every area of freeriding and is ready to ride hard, right off the showroom floor.

Similar Products Used: 2003 Norco Shore, 2002 Norco Launch, 1999 Santa Cruz Heckler.
Jorge Soto   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2004]
Strength:

Construction, Lateral stiffnes, attention to details.
Handling is a dream.

The Super-T came with springs for a 100 pounds person!!!..
Besides that - nothing so far.

The bike handles like it is reading your mind, and knows what you want to do.

Its very good at steep technical climbs, pedals awesome. The Fox Propedal and the FSR 4 bar, works great.
I would say this is the Ultimate Freeride Machine including for those who still want to pedal. Its sooo balanced.... Braking is very good, and handling at low speed is awesome. This bike honors its name: Shore.
Handling at high speeds is also very good, but its not a downhill specific like a Turner DHR or a V10.

I can even do Trials very good, hopping climb stairs, etc.
In Dirt jumping is awesome. The feeling is incredible, is addictive, it does not has the feeling of a water bead like a V10. It’s perfect for working it out, jumping, drops, etc.

I selected the Shore, because the BB was not too high, like the Team Shore. The 7.1 inches of travel are invisible, the ending compression curve, is so well thought that you forget that you are on a double... Works just like a dream, addictive; you will never want to go off the bike.

Once you put the bike on some diet, like removing the Kenda tires, the heavy tubes, etc... the bike its 36 pounds!

The springs on the Super-T are sooo soft, that bottom out on a 4 foot drop, and I am only 176 pounds. I just ordered the firm springs, and meanwhile I am using it with a Z150.

The Titec telescopic seat post works very good. The saddle is good. The combination of XT Rapid Fire shifter for rear, and grip shift for the front is very good. The grips are ODI - very good. The Black Spire chain gide works awesome. The Truvavtiv handlebar is extra-long 72 cm. The Breaks are impressive Hayes - top of the line. The paint is very good and strong. Mine is silver - frozen silver, sand-blast - beautiful.

The construction is definitely serious hardcore. Rock Solid in every detail. Any Specialized FSR looks weak when compared to this bike. Don’t expect any CNC work of art like in a Turner, but its definitely fine built, welding are thick and good, and they pay attention to lots of details - its a mature design from a mature company, that knows a lot about freeride.

This bike is a dream. It will just make you a better rider, and is asking for more and more every time.

I would recommend this bike for anyone looking for all around play bike, for serious freeride, dirt jump, street assault, and as a general purpose trail bike. It will take you side by side with any cross country or trail bike, but they better be prepared when the downhill comes...they will barely see the dust.

Check Pink Bike, I will post some pictures soon...

Cheers!