Marin Rock Springs Freeride Full Suspension

devbrix   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2009]
Strength:

Great bike, fantastic riding position and dynamics. Bought a 2007 model. Its a cracking bike with good components throughtout, on the whole - but see below. Taken a serious amount of weight off changing the WTB tyres and saddle which are awful. It now is a relatively light bike that can cope with a lot at speed down hill where it excells.

The hanger is cack and have broken two (one 20 yrds into the first ride) the second after the bike fell over onto the hanger and it just snapped off - tough or what!? Now carry a spare with me if I'm going far and have purchased a better quality hanger than the usual alloy piece of ..... that you usually get.

This is a quality bike. Needs some weight shedding from shop set up but does the business up and down hill. You could pay twice as much for half the bike.

Wrighty43   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2009]
Strength:

Very good spec for the money, AM set up,

None so far..

Awesome bike for the money... Buy one

Similar Products Used: Specialized pitch pro, Specialized FSR
Reek   Weekend Warrior [Jun 22, 2008]
Strength:

light weight, suspension

light weight, rear derailler hanger

Nice light XC/trail oriented frame. Use it that way. Have it with a DHX 5.0 air. Makes the rear travel nicely adjustable. worth the weight penalty. I've got the whole bike in 5.5 travel mode. Climbs like a goat, and I'm no climber. Plush travel without feeling like you're bogged down. Definitely worth the $650 I spent.

Similar Products Used: ETSX, ID5, AC1
Tommy   Downhiller [Oct 11, 2005]
Strength:

This bike has a nice frame set up but all the parts suck, i have to replace almost everything on this bike except the frame and fork.

I broken tons or derailers, the rear shock blows out to easy. everything breaks. I have had ton of people try it they all hated it. I dont ride cross country but even on a 4 ft drop everything falls apart

DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE

Similar Products Used: none
Dave Pettitt   Cross Country Rider [Apr 12, 2004]
Strength:

This is a UK spec bike. Very few complaints so far (see weaknesses). The Marzocchi MX Pro forks have bedded in very nicely and although I haven't tested them with an O ring I reckon I'm using nearly all of the available travel. The ETA function is great for hills. Have to remember to unlock it though when you hit the downs! The Magura Julie brakes stop very effectively, and I haven't suffered from any of the squeal others have reported. Haven't taken advantage of any of the other travel settings other than 5" yet but I'm sure I will. The bike is way lighter than my old Saracen hard tail and great over bumpy stuff.

Took it in for the free service and the headset bearings were all rusted. I don't use a pressure washer so was a little miffed.
The WTB clipless pedals weren't for me. I'm pretty new to this game so I had a lot of comical falls, come to a halt can't get feet out and topple over that kind of thing. So I've switched the for a pair of Shimano's with flat one side, SPD the other. Now I'm safer! They grip the cleats much better as well!

Seems like a great deal for a full sus bike. Forks and brakes are very competent and I feel very secure on the downhills.

Similar Products Used: Did plenty of research but didn't try any others. Took a mate's Attack Trail out and was sold. Only I didn't have the £2,300 to hand so I settled for the Rock Springs.
David Purvis   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2004]
Strength:

This whole bike is a strength! I literally have no complaints about it whatsoever, other than a back wheel which came "out of true" very quickly (this was probably my doing however, rather than a design/build fault). ***I would like to point out that I appear to have the UK Spec bike, as mine has Marzocchi MX Pro forks and Magura Julie disc brakes as standard. Both are superb***

None. Slight one I know, but the allen bolt holding the seat in place often worked itself loose. As my dad has access to engineering spares this was easily remedies with a new bolt though. Again this may have been an isolated problem, as I know other people with Marin TARA bikes and they have no problem.

I use the bike for commuting each day as well as on weekend "come what may" rides and it handles both fantastically well. Any worries about paying £1300 for this bike are now forgotten.

Similar Products Used: I tested the Specialized Enduro and Trek Liquid 25 when I bought my Marin. All were fantastic bikes, but I personally found the Marin to be the most comfortable to ride (Reach/riding position just seemed to be "right").
Chris   Downhiller [May 20, 2005]
Strength:

Brakes, Fork, Rear Shock

None as of yet

I have just bought the 2005 model today and I had a grin ear to ear riding down my usual trail. So far I love it!! Perfect cross-over for freeride without a chairlift and the possibility of broken legs :)

Watch out for bent frames though, I didnt see any at the shop I bought it from but a previous shop had tried to sell me two bent ones with considerable dints in the downtube. Who's problem with I have no idea but just check when you buy.

Similar Products Used: Dawed Edge FS comp, Kona Scrap, Specialized P2, Rockhopper, Kona Dawg
HARDMAN   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2005]
Strength:

Very strong frame, front fork is plush, and it has a lockout. Rear shock has 4-6" of propedal power. Very nice disc brakes problem free.

Everything works great so far. I have taken it on some brutal trails, and still in one piece. Eventually replace 5d crank, but not until I cant pedal it anymore.

This Marin aims to please everyone. It's not to heavy, and in 4" or 5" mode climbs great. Going downhill is where it shines. Very plush and bombproof. I just got back from MOAB, and this bike did everything great. No problems. Oh yeah the price was unbeatable at 1000.00 brand new.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Enduro, which is a good bike also. but not as good as this one.
Matty   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2006]
Strength:

Frame

Brakes

Love this bike except for brakes. Replace the Hayes MX1 brakes as soon as you get the bike. These are the lamest brakes I have ever encountered. Knew these brakes weren't the best when I purchased bike, but if I knew how lame they were would have purchased a different bike. Went through pads at least once a month. Replaced with Avid Juicy 7, life is good. Bike climbs great, suspension lock outs are easy to use on fly, great on descent (with right brakes).

Chris Jones   Weekend Warrior [Nov 16, 2005]
Strength:

Forks

Headset, rims/hubs, Brakes, skewers

I must have ridden this bike less than 200 miles and loads of parts have needed replacing. The wheels and hubs were shat from day one. The tyres were terrible. The brakes never stop rubbing on the front causing a horrible ching noise. The riding position suits riding uphill constantly, it handles like a pig on technical stuff. So far it's cost me half the price of the bike again in around six months light use. My car costs less to run.