Marin Quake 7.3 Freeride Full Suspension

Marin Quake 7.3 Freeride Full Suspension

• Frame: 6061 Quad XLT Aluminum with Edge II Plus Top Tube and Hydroformed Down Tube
  • Rear Suspension: Fox DHX Air 5.0
  • Shifters: Sram X-9, 9 Speed Trigger
  • Brakes: Hoyes HFX Mag Hydraulic Disc
  • Rims: Mavic EX-325, 32 Hole Disc
  • Crankset: TruVativ Holzfeller 2.2 RG DH

[Jul 24, 2011]
MJP Marin

Strength:

Absolutely Solid frame. The quad link system makes it behave like a larger suspension frame on the small stuff keeping it really smooth then stiffening up when the DHX Air bottom out resistance engages giving control on the bigger stuff. Head tube angle make the fork feel a bit shorter but enables you to break harder before having to shift your weight back.
Surprisingly good up hills. I kept up with my friends who ride a GT Aggressors and Claudbutler Cape-wrath D27. (both hardtails)

Requires some odd sized components. If you are buying just the frame expect to buy other parts to make it work. 1.5 head tube and very large seat-post.
Weight. final set up 18.3kg

Great bike for those who want all mountain bike. Goes up the hills well. Comes down them even better.
A little heavy but you wouldn't know it when you're riding.
Built to last

Carrera Banshee X 09 (with hope m4 and marzochi 666)
Kona Kikapu King

[Sep 25, 2010]
zukri

Strength:

Suspension design for efficient pedaling

Suspension design when dealing with repeated bumps, drops to flat even small ones at low speed, suspension action during braking

Seeing that this bike has some very good reviews, I made sure that I spent enough time and tried many things with it before writing this rather not so good review. In all fairness the Quake pedals better uphill and sprints faster than both of my bikes, not hard to see why, and all my friends specialized enduros, very close to reign x, nomads, and well most single pivot bikes. And I would have been very happy to excuse all the shortcomings had the bike weighed 2 to 3 kgs less. Being a strong built bike one would expect to go fast down an average downhill track with its bumps, rocks, steps, drops and jumps. I had read a review elsewhere that the bike feels like its got half the travel , which before buying it I dismissed as a silly statement, as when reading through the discussions I detected some things that were a little off, in theory. Well silly me. If you touch this little lever that helps the bike brake, unless you are able to slow down by drifting and even more initializing it without the rear brake, the suspension firms up like a three inch bike. Just like a firm push of the pedals extends the suspension and counteracts your weight going down and hence providing the efficient pedaling platform, the same extension takes place when braking which in turn will mess all your riding. Please note that this is not a discussion about floating brakes which help isolate the force on the caliper from compressing the suspension. We are talking about an arrangement that extends when braking, lifting the bike in its travel in the rear and its center of gravity. You brake before a turn and you feel the balance of your position go off regardless how far back you may place yourself. The bike will transfer all the weight to the front. Imagine if there are bumps too. While the suspension extends it enters into the first third of its suspension which has a considerable ramp up which makes matters even worse. That makes you think like you are having a bad day biking. But then you approach a jump, as you compress you get an excellent feedback from the big ramp up of the suspension, having of course never touched the rear brake, you leave the lip with a feeling that things are not too bad that day and if you have good speed that will prevent pedal kickback, you will make a perfectly damped landing, better that my downhill bike with its more linear suspension, just as the definition of a good freeride bike. You are feeling great and then you have to hit the brakes and enter a rock garden and ... A small drop in the street, say three steps makes you think the suspension will break down from the noise caused by the ratchet and pedal kickback. The kona bass with 4 inches of travel will land feeling it has twice the travel with no noise and no pedal kick back, however it does have a concentric bottom bracket which is its no chain growth advantage. Lots of steps is out of the question if you want to go relatively silently, anybody watching and they think you are dragging 30 cans behind you and after the third step you will wonder where your suspension is, are you braking a little maybe? I got the linkage software to try and improve things. I am now using a much lower k spring with more preload than the manufacturers advise so that I can decrease the big ramp up of the suspension and make it more active. I have checked more than 20 similar bikes and none has that kind of ramp up. This review is for the 08 model. The 09 seams to have less ramp up but the arrangement is the same and I presume the same brake and bump behavior will apply.
Truth is I chose this bike because of its pedaling. I wanted a bike that I 'd be able to use all day on the mountain going up and down. I want my bikes to be strong and take a beating and I accept the weight penalty. However the downhill performance is such a let down.

My other two bikes Kona bass and Demo 8,

[Feb 14, 2010]
Pedal Shop

Strength:

It's a fantastic all around bike and it climbs climbs climbs...

color options -- who picks some of the colors? not that color has anything to do with how well you'll ride

This is a review a customer sent us: we didn't write it.
a short write-up from a guy who bought a Quake from me...

"you know i have been riding this quake for over a year now, and it never gets old riding it.

sence i sent out my fork 2 weeks ago before i left for tahoe, i have been riding a kona stinky. and what a drag it is.
i just cant belive how much better the quake rides then the bike that is so efing popular. and now i really wonder why it, it sucks in comparison.

the rear end is flexy, the brake jack is redicUluoS, its no where near as stable at speeds, the quake rolls better, so much more plush yet firm at the same time."

myself, having owned 3 Coilers and 3 other frames like the Kona... l can say: well put and so true...
l used to the think Kona was the shizix's. They're ok.... for a hairlip...
+ and l'll say it again, the bike climbs like a frikin goat on bad crack.

KONA BANSHEE COVE TBC

[Apr 29, 2009]
azzerman

Strength:

versatility, size, weight, design(personal liking)

shock access, came with qr axle

having used this bike for a year, i sent it off for powder coating as i find the black frame old hat, also i plan to run this frame another year, before easter i blew a seal on the totem which had some big rough rides, i know the 07 fork has problems but mine must have been an ok model, anyway tf mentioned they could convert the fork to coil so i said go for it, decided to run maxxis tires just for a change, nothing wrong with wtb t/wolf, bit o resistance thats all.
the fox dhx shock had to be sorted by mojo due to a folding seal another 07 ahock issue, having sorted it to my style, ditch the 50/50s the bike is a real little ripper, love it all the type of rides i like, i only need 1 bike this is the future of mountain biking i think, the do all breed of steed. love to jump this frame, well better than my long travel foes or racelink, marin did a very good job on this frame, dont know wether my riding speed picked up cos of determination or the marin, i was using 8 to 10 inch bikes before tho, not bottomed this yet not sure how the linkage works but no pedal bob and it will climb. top bike 5 chillies

big hit 02, foes mono 03, norco A-line brooklyn racelink,
quake 7.1

[Dec 22, 2008]
skin6061

Strength:

Ok this is a update on my first review..I will have had the bike for 2 yrs come Jan, 09.

Strength... the bike suspension still feels bottomless, corners great, light weight and just over all kick ass looking

getting to the adjustments on the rear shock, and removing the rear shock. paint comes off easy

i love the bike, ive had the bike for almost 2 yrs and i don't see the need to get anything different. this bike will do anything you want, best bike on the market hands down

kona stab and haro x6

[Aug 26, 2008]
arran
Downhiller

Strength:

well this is an update kids as i have ridden this thing in a few different places from england scotland wales. its a fair review that you can trust now but its not all roses.

due to my version being a 2007 the bike was suppled with a 2007 dhx 5 air, which unfortunately had to go to mojo to have a second generation seal which to be fair they did a great job and im now seeing what all the fuss is about with air, the frame design and shock design really do foul each other as the amount of adjustability is not easily reachable which is its main problem. i have to run a air valve extendor constantly so i can add air to the bottom out chamber because wen u try an remove the pump there is no room for my hand and the shock loses all pressure wen trying to unscrew the pump real pain in the ar$e but thats its only real fault.

to start im loving the timberwolfs there 2.3 f/r and i really do rate these tires there good on lots of surfaces im still dubbious to lean the bike hard in the rain on tarmac on my way home other than that cool.
my next surprise which brings me pleasure to say was the solo air totem, this fork is very tuneable to the most specific you have in your mind thre stiff light and confidence inspiring all the things you want from a high end fork, mine ar the 1.1/8 steerer and all is well. the 1 thing ill say about this bike is still that it rides in which ever mood ur in racer xc dh freeride its all riding just different agression and planning but i love my bike an if i lost it tommorrow id buy another on thursday the thing i find very cool is playing with air feels like you swapped springs on ur bike wich really is cool after 5 mins fettleing things are good with the bike and all the rest of life is fitting in around that x

bighit foes dhs mono brooklyn racelink norco north shore
quake 7.1

[Jul 13, 2008]
arran
Downhiller

Strength:

its not easy to get across how versatile this thing is but ill have a bash

really thinking about it the only thing i find awkward due to the unique sus design getting a purchase on the shock dials and air valves to pump it up is a bit on the tight side and can delay what should be a quick tweak..

do yourself a favour if your quick there will still be some 07 models left this set me back 1800 of the queens finest and really iv spent some silly money on bikes in the past and this bike is cappable of more than my flagship dh bikes iv had because every now and then its nice to ride some of the challanging xc courses to be enjoyed in britain and it really is a versatile tool this bike.

i weighed mine and at 34.6 ponds its not heavy im not a fan of the lightweight stuff i like a bit of feel from something you pedal downhill in the rain and risk your neck on.
final word for £1800 its really nice getting a bit back for once as wen i pulled mine out of the box there really isnt much to improve on the kit is superb. as mine is an 07 i spent an extra £100 and bought the 12mm rear maxle and hope conversion kit. bikes with 150mm rear end should not be qr in my opinion.

the only things im going to change are grips seat and post maybe. maxxis tyres perhaps.
and as to how it rides you will have to trust me and take a risk its more fun at times.

later

norco a line i think it was called. and a slight build on my bighit

[May 23, 2008]
Justin

Strength:

Suspension, Weight, Frame Strength, Look

None so far.

Very plush ride. Great suspension system. This bike is heavy duty enough for serious free ride and downhill but pedals like a XC rig, which allows me to take it out in the city. It also is not that heavy at around 40lbs stock. I bought mine used on ebay, so when I received it some of the components were getting worn. I am slowly looking for upgrades, but for the price paid I still am more than satisfied. I am a heavy rider at around 6' tall and 235 lbs, so I'm looking to upgrade to some heavier duty rims (Mavic EX 729 Disk) and hubs (Hope Pro 2). I really enjoy riding this bike and I can see myself getting addicted to freeriding!!! If you want a heavy duty freeride rig that you can use for downhill as well as some all mountain and even some XC, get the Quake!!! If I wanted something a little lighter duty than the Quake series, I would go with the All Mountain type Wolfe Ridge bike by Marin. Cheers

This is my first full suspension bike and I love it.

[Feb 20, 2007]
Joe
Downhiller

Strength:

Suspension design, Frame material, looks, and choice of componets

The top Rocker arm bolt covers. It rubbed the inside of my Knee while the bike traversed through it travel if I was leaving the bike hard into a corner. Nothing major just annoying

It's a great bike!!!! I was a little uncertain that a 7" travel bike might not be enough but the way the supension was designed it felt like it was bottomless. It sucked up anything that was under my tires, cornered like it was on rails and very light and flickable. The componets that come on the bike are top of the line, i couldn't have asked for anything better. I would recommend this bike to anyone that is looking for a great DH,AM or Fr bike. A thank you goes out to Marin and there great staff that helped me with the purchase and questions. Can't wait to see whats comeing out in the future from them.

Haro x6, and a Kona stab Primo