Marin Quake 7.2 Freeride Full Suspension

• Brakes: Hoyes HFX-9 Hydraulic Disc
  • Rims: WTB SpeedDisc XL, 32 Hole Disc
  • Crankset: TruVativ Hussefelt 2.2RGDH

ericblanc   All Mountain Rider [May 08, 2012]
Strength:

Where to begin?
For a DH/FR (or DH) bike it flies in the city to begin to...it s unbreakable and inspires full confidence when your litterally going down the stairs (lots of them) or jumping on the benches etc, etc and all the usual staff you do in the city including the fact that you can now simply pass over the usual obstacles that you have to compensate or turn around with a HT bike...
From the singletracks to the gnarilest wet rooted or rocky (or as usual a bit of both) roads it s just amazing how well the quad link suspension works allowing you to brake even on the roughest terrain (even wet), I m giving most of my flamin chills to the fact that very rapidly you are one withe the bike and it s jus that everyday you discover new qualites of an olfd friend.I LOVE the longer wheelbase , it suits perfectlly my riding, hayes nine have so far (in 3 years ) have demanded one good bleeding by a mech. in a shop and of course quite a bit of pairs of pads but thats normal..brakes are very strong(not the strongest) but it s amazing how reliable they are, never had to even think really bout the brakes except for pads and this one bleeding in 3 years, the Fox DHX COIL has a replaced new titanium spring which improves a bit an overall fantastic and reliable shockwith rebound, propedal and other tuning options, I v never felt that I ve bottomed and I m round 95kgs it s very progressive and absorbs as well the small rapid bumps as well as the big hits...the fork Marzocchi 66 RCV 180mm is a killer.The sinergy of these three main features on a fantatic frame with a fantastic suspension system results in an almost perfect bike for me.I v changed the wheels for Mavic and all mech is SRAM X-0 with shifters X-9.
Of course I ve got a HT (Marin Indian fire trail) but this QUAD XLT will remain with for a longtime.

FANTASTIC -FORGIVING-CONFORTABLE -RELIABLE-ORIGINAL

Similar Products Used: Kona Stinky, Spec Big Hit, Norco Stryke...
gambino369   Downhiller [Mar 03, 2010]
Strength:

it DOMINATES

n/a so far

The size and construction gives the feeling of control and domination on the terrain+manoeuvrability s good

Similar Products Used: stinky
Ming the Merciless   Weekend Warrior [Jan 08, 2010]
Strength:

Unbreakable, flies well and confidence inspiring, It's just relentless downhill and for a lardy bike (43lb) it climbs surprisingly well.

Stock headset not very well sealed and rear axle/hub weak and prone to failing. Rear shock tricky to adjust.

I love this bike; so fast downhill, it eggs you on to go faster and is very stable at speed and in the air. It will climb, its hard work but boy does it dig in and grip (it surprises some of my more XC mates). Some of the cheaper bits don't last but that just means shiny new bits can be fitted.

quakexlt7.4   Downhiller [Aug 23, 2009]
Strength:

beefy stiff frame, looks awesome, light i guess for what its intended for, VPP design is the best suspension design i`ve ever ridden, OPF headtube, head angle and bottom bracket height adjustabilitie

i`m the first person to crack a marin quake 7.2 frame in the uk, but i`m not suprised as to the riding i do. but a replacement frame has been sent for free along with new bearings. rear shock is bit awkward to get to , but you get used to it and eventually you manage to find away around it.

best bike i`ve ever ridden for its dh nature and freeride capabilities. awesome bike go and buy one. lifetime bearing warrenty and 2 year frame warrenty :) marin have done an awesome job of the quake and theres still better models to come :)

Similar Products Used: none
Jimby   Downhiller [Jul 08, 2009]
Strength:

Super smooth suspension design, confidence inspiring ride, just a fantastic bike in general.

none that i've found yet...

Just an awesome FR bike, so much fun to ride. I tend to ride quite a variety of terrian, and the Quake handles it all nicely. Very capable, very smooth, totally solid. :)

Similar Products Used: n/a
John   Downhiller [Jun 04, 2008]
Strength:

This is the do-it-all-bike, racing, freeriding, and yes climbs great for a heaver bike.

Rear shock is a little hard to get to

Get this bike! if you like to climb to your ride, its done, if you like to nail tight single track its done. bottom line, its the bike for you.

Similar Products Used: norco aline, rmx,rm7
Mike   Racer [May 13, 2008]
Strength:

Great handling, Great components, Great price.

None so far.

This bike is awsome. I will go anywere with it. It bombs with the best of them and still climbs, how I don't know but it does. Feels great in the air, on the nar nar, and the tight single track.

Similar Products Used: X7, Norco teamDH, Bullit, VP-free, session77, botle rocket, stab, judge
Pedal Shop   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2007]
Strength:

Frame is very efficient (aka well designed). I was really impressed with the way it handles every different type of riding.

Would rather have a rear through axle. Rear shock settings are difficult to get to. I hired my 5 year olds to do the work.

First off all... why the heck are there only two posts on this bike? mine being the 2nd. This bike is way better than the shortness of reviews would leave you to believe. I actually didn't buy this bike last year because I simply didn't like the way it looked. I thought it looked too funky that it could be a nice riding bike. However, one of the guys who works part time for me had a chance to ride one in CO and he really liked it. I consider an expert level rider so if he likes it, it's gotta be good.
I was due for a new frame, I was getting bored of the same ol' four bar linkers (like the Kona Coiler series // great bike but my 4th style like that in a row). Let me say, I have demo'd serveral different frames through the years, some had way more travel than I would ever really need. As a shop owner, I can't really risk getting hurt so, I take it sorta easy. This Marin rides really really well. I can't believe how well it climbs too. I often ride the same trail so I know very well my limitations at certain sections. Every single other frame I have used, I can climb different climbs with different results: some are harder than others. With the Marin, I have cleared each semi difficult climb with ease. The only thing setting me back, just like any other FR, is the weight (my is 41lbs). The really difficult climbs are still difficult but with the Marin, I was able to get to the top without being poop'd, ready to fall over. AS for the down hill... weeeeeee, that frame is super flickable. It feels buttery smooth through the rock gardens (and I'm rolling some nasty stuff). The really high speed stuff I haven't had a chance to hit yet. I gotta travel for that but, the few times I hit some higher speeds in the local area, it felt very stable. There was never a time I felt sckecht'd out. The Totem helps of coures. The slow hucky stuff, the bike is flowing really well. That's where I think the frame design is best suited. It's so nice... Drops big and small do have have that "endless" feel. I don't know if I have bottom'd out yet. If I did, I didn't feel it. Time after time, I'm comparing it with other frames I have had. This one offers fantastic bang for the buck. The only thing I would change (which they are) is offer a through axle for the rear wheel. Diggin' the 1.5 head tube: that's BEEFY!!! when is Chris King going to make a 1.5!?!?!?

Similar Products Used: I haven't ever used anything quite like the Marin. I have usually used frames that designed more like the Kona Coiler (my last frame). Also used: Banshee Chaparrel, Transition Dirt Bag, Mountain Cycle SIN & Fury, K2 Lithium, Iron Horse HollowPoint, Santa Cruz SuperLight, Ellsworth Truth... and more.
Bubba   Weekend Warrior [Apr 05, 2007]
Strength:

Quad link suspension Jon Whyte is the man great parts kit 1.5 steerer respect

hard to hike a bike nowhere to put your hand stock grips not to my taste and the crankbrothers pedals are poser crap the shock adjustments are hard to get at but not really an issue

I know this bike won the world masters dh last season but it really is a freeride bike easy to sprint and throw around wheelies like a urban park bike holds speed over rough like crazy it pedals like a bike with half the travel but has a bottomless feel to the suspension with the seat up it will climb anything just not in a hurry if you want to DH race wait for the next marin team dh if you want a freeride bike for parks and tech trails this is your baby I could get all technical about the quad link but just leave it at this this bike knows what its doing get one before they sell out

Similar Products Used: norco vps bikes santa cruz bullet balfa bb7 rocky rm9 and switch foes fly intense uzi blah blah blah
gremlyn   [Dec 13, 2007]
Strength:

Virtual pivot point suspension that works perfectly when adjusted corretly, beefy but not heavy frame, optional maxle 150x12 rear dropouts, OnePointFive headtube

Initial adjustment of rear shock is pain in the ass, frame lacks ISCG/ISCG05 mounts

Basically, I knew that I'm buying a great bike because of all the flying colors reviews, but even with that in mind it suprised me when I've tried it for the first time. It rode great. Adjusting the shock can be pain in the ass, but when dialed in correctly it works just like it should: bike is easy to pedal, it soaks up the big hits without the bottoming, and it works great on the smaller stuff. OnePointFive headtube gives a plenty of choice when it comes to picking up the right fork for it, and I would recommend something with 180mm of travel if you plan to use it for FR or DH. Headtube angle is slacker that way, and bike it self act more predictably on agressive DH runs. Chainstays are on the longer side so you need to put some muscle in wheelies and manuals, but overall geometry is great for trail riding... for anything from normal AM up to more intense DH runs. Also, I would recommend optional maxle 150x12 (or some custom made bolt on) dropouts and a new rear hub... because the stock one for '07 Quake 7.2 is piece of crap (Shimano M475). With those changes the rear end of bike is lot more stiffer making it act more predictibly.

Real bottom line: Quake has it's (minor) weaknesses and annoying bugs like any other bike out there, but overall result is still a really impressive ride. Even my friends whith great bikes (Spec Big Hits and Demos, Kona Coilers and Stinkys, Haro Magnums etc) agree on that.