Marin Alpine Trail Freeride Full Suspension

Marin Alpine Trail Freeride Full Suspension

[Apr 29, 2009]
CMyers

Strength:

Frame, brakes, rear suspension, light weight

Forks not so great, but OK for the price. Riding position a bit bent over, but I ride crotch rockets so I'm used to it. Shifting components could be upgraded. Tires OK for XC, not so good for really steep gnarly trails.

Great bike for $300, if you can find one at a similar price, grab it! I'll probably never be good enough to need a better mt. bike than this one. Wish I could find another one for my girlfriend.

First full suspension bike other than a Huffy I had as a kid. It had springs, but no shocks...

[Mar 15, 2009]
Alberto

Strength:

smooth on trails

havent found one yet

Best bike so far

[Dec 06, 2004]
Matt Hayes

Strength:

This bike climbs like a mountain goat! Absolutely incredible

components

The transition from hardtail to full was incredible - the transition to disc brakes and this frame was almost as incredible. I could ot believe the difference Whyte's suspension technology made for climbing and comfort. This will allow me to gain confidence in pushing my limits further into the ride style of riding. I bought this bike mainly to get the frame, but when I found it cheaper to purchase the whole bike than just the frame, kind of a no-brainer. I am NOT disappointed in my decision to go Marin. I am giving only 4 chilis for overall rating because of the components, but that's because I am already familiar with a better component.

older K2 Proflex 4000

[Sep 28, 2004]
Stephen

Strength:

Excellent frame, long travel adjustable suspension (needs to be for my 230lbs!). Very well made, good brakes.

Low spec drive chain and wheels. Can feel very "perched" with a high bottom bracket and long reach to bars. Tyres are crap.

I have ridden the A.Trail for about 9 months now and have found the full suspension very beneficial in forest trails and lots of roots. Initially took a while to get comfortable with the height that you are above the ground and see that this is a common complaint for the Marin frames. It does mean that I don't get caught on logs and such but at low speeds is not very confidence inspiring. Changing the bar has made a big difference and have just ordered a set of Panaracer Cinder tyres which should help as well. Over all I love the bike and intend to upgrade the drivechain and forks once they are wornout as the basic frame is good.

Orange Sub 5

[Aug 25, 2004]
Neil Simmonds

Strength:

This is a UK specced bike so has Marzocchi MX comp 120mm forks , magura Julie hydraulic brakes and IRC TrailBear 2.25 tyres. The adjustable travel is excellent and the Magura's stop effectively and with only a bit of squeal when wet which soon goes away. Ride is very comfortable although I did find it a bit of a stretch to the bars. Since fitting a DMR Conrod 60mm stem and Club Roost 50mm XC riser bars the riding position is now perfect.

Would have liked the bike to come with clipless pedals as the next one up (rock springs) does. As mentioned riding position was a bit stretched but easily cured. Standard WTB Speed V saddle didn't suit me but I already knew as I had one before so got the dealer to swap for a Specialixed BG2 for no extra cost when i bought it.

Excellent all round bike if this is your price range.

Trek Liquid 10, Cannondale Jekyll 400