Kona Stinky Six Freeride Full Suspension

Kona Stinky Six Freeride Full Suspension

In a nut, this is the classic North Shore freeride bike. And we should know, we've been riding here since it all started. For those who insist on climbing to the burl, those simple, classic folks hell bent on ripping it all-up and down-the pared version of our legendary Stinky enjoys dual chainrings for comfortable climbing, comes Hammerschmidt compatible, and takes all bells and whistles and shoves them where the sun don't shine (cause it don't shine much on the Shore). Plushness guaranteed.

• Frame tubing: Kona Clump 7005 Aluminum, 6" Travel
  • Fork: Marzocchi 55-RS 160mm w/20mm
  • Headset: FSA Orbit Z1.5R
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore
  • Brakes: Shimano M575 Disc 6"
  • USER REVIEWS

[May 03, 2017]
    Frightening
    Downhiller

Strength:

- Stock parts are decent

- Great value for performance

- Super stiff out of saddle, and I can actually climb this thing

- Great decender, forks and shock absorb impacts like their not there

- Stock tires aren't too bad, real grippy up front, decent braking surface on rear

- Brakes are terrible...

This is an amazing bike for the value, no doubt about it. The stock parts could use upgrades later on down the road, but it's perfectly fine stock. The brakes are the first thing I replaced on the bike, because they do a very bad job of slowing me down. Swapped them out for Juicy 5's, so something real affordable that gets the job done. This bike is perfect for beginner Freeriders or even Enduro. Sure it's not the lightest bike in the world, but it's pretty damn solid.

[Feb 23, 2013]
    john
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Frame, bombproof, great value for the money. greatly inspires confidence

personally i hate the handlebars

I bought a 2011 model off of a bike park end of 2012 season. For the price I paid, I haven't found anything that comes close to this bike. It can handle anything i can throw at it and never lets me down.
    First thing i did when i got the bike was upgrade handlebars, and i also replaced the chain and pedals. I plan on upgrading all the components over time.
    personally I love kona products, I haven't been disappointed by one yet.

[Jan 31, 2013]
    Alex

Strength:

Fun bike to freeride up in the mountains. Plenty of ladder bridges and etc. Feels great on the trails.

Lil heavy compared to demo 7ii but hey fun bike. After awhile i had to change out the rear shock, forks, treds, and the crank. All stocks parts are crap so i changed them.

great bike after changing out some parts. good starter bike if your just starting out freeride or downhill

[Aug 07, 2011]
    M5Tucker

Strength:

Strong, nimble, nice seating position, pedals pretty well for a bike of it's size.

Stock wheels, rear hub, seatpost clamp, and brakes all sucked.

This has been a really great, cost effective bike that can really take a beating. It's not light, but I came from my well-worn old 40+ pound GT tank with 888's & 2.5's so this feels great. I'm over 200lbs and climb & ride crosscountry as much as descend, and have been happy with the pedaling performance...it's not often I have to hike-a-bike. It bobs a bit, but has good traction. The riding position is comfortable for me, more laid back. It's tricky to keep the front wheel on the ground on steeper technical climbs, but it's ideal everywhere else, and the relaxed head angle really helps the confidence going down. Lots of people complain about brake-jack in the rear, but I'm not a good enough rider to really care and tend to favor the front brake anyway so it hasn't bugged me. It was magic at Northstar a few weeks ago, my first park experience, and I came away with even more respect for the bike. Really forgiving handling & geometry help when you completely blow your corner entry or accidentally grab front brake cresting a tabletop. The number of people up there that I saw riding other Konas and older Stinky's really bodes well for their durability.

I wish the fork had more than just rebound adjustment, but once I dropped the pressure a bit it really helped. The Van R is a tried and true shock, but I think I'll be upgrading to something I can lock out that has more adjustment. The stock seatpost clamp was junk, the seat was all over the place underneath me from day 1. The stock Alexrims wheels gave more pinch flats than I've had in my life, despite running over 40psi. Swapping to the Mavics fixed that, and I could drop my pressures to boot. The stock rear hub, as others have noted, isn't great. It was constantly loosening or throwing grease. The provided grips were nice lock-ons, but just didn't compare to the nice sticky ODI's. The Stroker Ryde brakes made me a faster rider because they wouldn't actually slow the bike down and were really hard to modulate compared to the Juicy's, so I swapped those out too.

My old bike was just crumbling and impossible to get parts for any more, and I needed a bike I could ride everywhere for a long time, for less than $2000. I looked at Nomads, Remedys, Enduros, etc, all amazing bikes, but they inevitably blew my budget out of the water for decent equipment levels. I hadn't even considered Kona until one of the guys at CBO suggested I give this a ride, and remembered liking a friend's old Stinky Dee-Lux. Since I had all the nice bits from my old bike, but not quite enough to build something more expensive from a frame, this was a great solution. It'd be a great first All-Mountain style bike for someone just getting into it, too.

My only gripes are some of the off the shelf components, but considering the price point it's actually pretty well equipped. It's really a good all around bike, and I have no doubt it'll still be in my quiver 10 years on. I'm gonna use all the take-off parts to build up a loaner bike for friends, and they'll be perfect for that. I've been stoked on it, and Kona is a cool company so I'm happy.

GT Ruckus i-drive 2.0 (previous bike), Santa Cruz Blur LT & Heckler, Specialized Enduro, Giant Trance, Kona Stinky Dee-Lux (buddies bikes)

[Apr 27, 2011]
    jimbob
    Downhiller

Strength:

bomb prof

heavy

would not buy this bike again to heavy

kona scrap

[Mar 23, 2011]
    Soilent2

Strength:

Solid

Heavy

Great bike for the price I paid.

[Oct 31, 2010]
    Scott H.

Strength:

Strong tubing; plush suspension gives 6" full travel; everything is strong; beefy 1.5" headset; great geometry; 7" rotors work good; nice wide bars with decent stock grips; cool paint job; 20mm front thru axle; Wheels are strong/stay true.

Rear hub is bleah/not sealed grease leaks out/isn't totally round/has mediocre bearings; rear 7" rotor came with a little warp in it, makes some noise. I'll replace it eventually.

I had a problem with bikes breaking beneath me while riding on flat pavement I'm 6-4 340. The Stinky Six put an end to that. The wheels have never needed truing on this bike. I adjusted the suspension and seat on the first few rides and that was all I have done to it except tires and seat and a bell. I gotta have the bell for all the tourists that step out in front of me in the summer. This bike rides and handles great and I am impressed. I love the components and shocks and I am not planning any upgrades until I break something. I would change the back hub to something with sealed bearings. The rear shock is Fox Vanilla-R (the R stands for rebound) With this little red dial I was able to tune out all bob completely. Front shock is Marzocchi 55-RS which is pretty decent. Real spongy for a heavy guy but I do a lot of in-saddle riding so it's no big deal. This bike is burly and holds me no problem. I use it for cross country and it climbs just fine. I'm stoked on the white paint scheme it looks nice, but chips easy. Great action on the suspension design, 4 bar linkage design is great. Cool cranks, flat pedals grab my vans(shoes) very well. Front axle was strange to figure out how to take out, I have to unscrew it while I hold in the ratchet thing. Weird. But way strong. This bike does wonderful in the mud bogs and by the beach. Roots in the forest are great and pavement is pretty darn smooth with teh KRADS. I clean this bike after every ride. Keeping your moving parts clean is the way to keep your bike lasting longer. I don't drive and I have a wife and five kids and I go to school full time. I really need this bike to last. So far it's been performing like a champ and I aim to keep it that way. Thank you Kona for a great bike! If I had a third thumb I'd put that one up too.

Kona Stuff; GT LTS-2; GT-RTS2; This is my first Kona Full Suspension. Love it.

[Oct 22, 2010]
    konarider234
    Downhiller

Strength:

frame,fork, brakes, wheels, saddle, rear shock, everything else on the bike.

the fork is not very adjustable, but it is very smooth and stiff.

This is a great bike for someone loves short travel freeride,
    It is a great big air FR/DH bike. I can't wait to take it to highland. so far I have only been to killington and it's great. if you have the chance to get one, jump on the opportunity

Kona Stinky 2-4, Kona cowan, Kona Shred.

[Sep 29, 2010]
    felix420
    Downhiller

Strength:

Bomb proof. Reliable, simple design. Looks sexy.

Doesn't come with D.O.P.E. system. Rear shock is junk. Kind of heavy, but I power it up most hills anyways.

Well... The frame is great! Plenty strong enough. 160mm of travel seams to hold up just fine. I take is baby downhill, urban and dirt freeriding, and some dirt jumping. My bike is fully customized. I would suggest if you purchase this machine, that you definitely upgrade your components. I still have the stock rear shock, which is total junk. That will be my next upgrade.
    Kona's are good bikes. Don't let people suck you into the hype. This bike is very responsive on the trails. I've taken it off 8-10ft drops no problem.
    My only complaints are; Kona should have included the DOPE system with the bike. $300 for the system as an aftermaket product is ridiculous. Second; it could be a little lighter. Although I do have the bike set up with all DH components. Third; The bikes rear shock is garbage.
    All in all, the Stinky Six is a great do it all bike, with balls. It is very sturdy and won't let u down. It excels in all mountain, freeride, and downhill scenarios. Defiantly too heavy for XC. The Stinky Six is a bike that won't let you down for an affordable price.

'05 Kona Coiler

[Jul 21, 2010]
    andrei

Strength:

looks great in white(2009 model)
    good price
    stiff frame
    if you really want to it can go uphill. shift to the granny gear up front and the anti squat caused by pedaling will eliminate most of the bob(although this is common for all single pivots).
    i liked the fork and the rear shock for their simplicity and they seem to perform very well so far.
    the brakes are sufficient stoppers.
    all components are performing good so far.

This really is just a single pivot design(foux-bar) so don't expect to much from the suspension performence under braking.
    it is quit heavy.
    the tires seem to be too skinny.

This bike is exactly what i needed for the country i live in.
    as we don't have any trail's or parks with huge air so the stinky six is more than enough for everything we got over here. It is kind of short travel free ride bike rather than an all mountain machine.

first full suser