Kona Entourage Freeride Full Suspension

Introducing the all-new downhill/bike park/big-mountain-specific, down-addicted destroyer: the Entourage. In essence, it's a smaller-travel (170mm) Operator redesigned into a tighter package, with radically shorter stays for quick turns, spins and all-around freeriding (new word we made up), with a low BB and slack HA for stability. Built with performance durability and worlds of fun and speed in mind, hit everything you would on the big bike, but fall in love with the Entourage's nimbleness and maneuverability. Just ask Kona Team Gravity Rider Graham Aggasiz.

• Custom 170mm RockShox Domain R CL fork
  • Avid Code R brakes
  • SRAM X-7 rear derailleur
  • Fox Van R rear shock

• User Reviews (4)

Deady   [Jul 31, 2013]
    Strength:

Cool design and nice color for easy cleaning. The shorter chainstays helps alot in making quick turns and small jumps. Nice Avid Code R brakes. Great bike for begginers. Not really a mini DH, it goes really smoothly downhills.

Crappy shifter but reliable rear derailleur. Would be great if the chain guide comes with a tensioner. Grips started to loosen after 3 rides.

Overall, this is a great bike for FR and not for AM. Drive up to the top and you'll have loads of fun going down! My attempts to climb uphill failed on all 3 rides on this bike.

dave   Downhiller [May 08, 2012]
    Strength:

beefy, rides well, short chainstays, corners well, pops like mad

interrupted seat tube. tires suck. The 150mm back end and short chainstays are not good for guys with big feet like me. Its not terrible, but I do find myself smacking my feet every so often.

Over all this is a good bike its burley, jumps well, corners well, and generally feels good. Bad part is that it really makes me miss my 2009 Stinky that I had. I rode a factory Entourage DLX and it was good. I hated the wide bars, and the stem was 60mm which was way to long for the Large frame I rode (and later bought). I am 6'4" tall and there it sketched me out being on a bike with a 24.5" top tube with a 60mm stem. The maxxis tires are single ply and are total junk. I could not corner on them to save my life. I was washing out all over the place. Other than that the factory spec is pretty decent and rode quite nice.

As for mine, with the way it is set up its a bit heavy at 37lbs with single ply tires, but that will soon get dropped to the 35lb range with some new parts. The short chainstays really make this thing rail tight corners. And it pops really well off the jumps. On the DH and really fast stuff there was a bit to be desired out of the RC2 in the back. But after being spoiled with X-fusion Vector HLR rear shocks on my last 2 bikes its easy to see why the RC2 falls short. I plan to swap to a Vector Air as soon as I can. Riding some muddy technical and fast DH, the bike feels right at home. Its definitely not an Operator by any stretch, but I was keeping up with guys that had full on DH rigs with out much effort. And while the Totem Solo Air on the front is a great fork, it really made me miss my boxxer on that trail.

With a lighter build, this bike will take to the air like no other. It pops great and is easy to control in the air. In the chatter when on the brakes i did notice the brakes locking up the suspension a bit more than on the stinky's I have had in the past. Not sure if its just psychological, a function of the rear shock somehow or if there is actually something to this, but it seemed to pop out to me. But the cure for it is easy, don't use the brakes. On bigger hits and drops the suspension just soaked it up. I don't think I ever hit bottom, even when coming down from about 10ft up on a bigger booter.

Overall I am happy with the bike. But it still sits in the back of my mind that its about 95% just like my 2009 stinky. Looking back, I shouldn't have sold my 09 Stinky. That frame was probably the most dialed out of all the Stinkies kona made. The Entourage is a fun bike though and with the right build can do many things and do them well. I would say that this bike is 100% designed for a Lyrik or lyrik sized fork, not the totem. The totem is way to much for this bike and it really makes it not handle right and the extra pound over the Lyrik is really noticeable in the front end. But for anything but full on DH racing, its the perfect bike for the freeride trails of the NW.

Similar Products Used: about 6 different stinky's, a transition dirt bag and about 20 other freeride and dh bikes
    Marcel   Weekend Warrior [Apr 18, 2012]
    Strength:

Top of the line Lyrik fork, Mavic rims and it looks awsome.

RC2 shock instead of RC4 and in this price range I would expect an X0 deraileur instead of X9.
    Should come with a 780mm bar... specially in the large size (my case)

Rode it once at my favourite trail... I swapped the shock to a Vivid Air so I spent most of the time trying to adjust the suspension.
    The bike felt great on the trail... way more stable and smooth than I expected.
    I still have to get used to it´s geometry to say something about jumps... but I felt very confident on the rocks and drops.
    With a couple of up-grades this bike is possibly the best FR and Mini DH bike in the market.

Similar Products Used: Banshee Wildcard and SPecialized SX Trail
    The Shark   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2012]
    Strength:

Nice looking bike, comes off the shelf with wide 780mm bars, head angle 65°, short chainstays, decent weight. Agile.

Low end sram shifter & derailleur, cheap pedals, cheap grips that were disintergrating in my hands.

Bike felt great. The short chainstays make manuals a lot easier. When in the air, the bike feels lighter than expected. 65° head angle gives you lots of confidence, almost makes it feel like a mini DH more than a freeride bike. Didn't do any uphill, but shes solid on the flat and down. Would've liked a fork with some adjustment over the basic Domains, but it was a pretty well balanced ride. If you're a freerider or if you're a downhiller who likes a challenge check this bike out. Very agile. Good bike, and a huge step into the present by Kona. Great stuff.