Kona Coiler Freeride Full Suspension

Jerald   All Mountain Rider [Aug 22, 2012]
Strength:

Strong frame, plush rear suspension, Climbs great, decends even better, weight (my own build), sexy, comfortable geometry, brings out confidence.

I purchased the frame and built it up as my All-mountain rig. My own came in weighing at 33lb. Compared to my 4inch travel santacruz superlight, it doesn pedal as "easily" going up (no worries i have leg power!) , but I have climbed much steeper and more technicle inclines on my Kona than my santacruz due to the more higher BB height. Decends are point a shoot, brings out alot of confidence, takes whatever drops you throw at it, and i can pick really fun and technicles lines compared to my XC set-up. For what i built it for, it is amazing! Its not the easiest pedaling going up, or the fastest on flats, but you can have ALOT of fun on this bike and build up your skill! So if you want something that can do it all, but not the BEST at it all, try the Coiler! FYI JUMPS are Amazing on this bike!

Similar Products Used: 2011 Fuji outland 29er,1997 Specialized Ground control FSR, 2004 Santacruz Superlight
Daemongrad   Weekend Warrior [Jan 16, 2012]
Strength:

Weight, price, rigidity(side to side), plush, can take a beating, easy on the eyes... eats it up and asks for more!!!

Originally the weight was a slight factor, but I have since remedied that. Can't get a drop seatpost to fit frame.

Aside from the fact that I don't have anything stock left, save for the frame, this is a kickass machine. The frame takes a beating and the air suspension that replaced the original fork and shock seem completely at home within it. The rear suspension doesn't effect the derailleur, or it's cables throughout its travel. All in all, a great frame, and original part spec was decently rideable, though I am giving chilis based on my own build and what I spent on it versus MSRP or RRP. It can and does handle most any but the ultimate extreme shyte that I wont do anyhow,

Similar Products Used: Coil-air, Tanuki, Specialized FSR XC Pro Test Bike.
phclaw   Weekend Warrior [Dec 23, 2011]
Strength:

Sturdy and solid while also showing relative nimbleness. This is a 2005-2006 version, and its geometry - 66 head angle/70 seat post angle/23.9 top tube for an 18" frame - is dialed in for all-mountain riding. I'm 6', 33" inseam and this feels better than the typical 19" I'd use (like a blur lt I demoed or the bullit I used to ride). It felt very much at home at Northstar, even with its old age and lack of thru axles and extra gusseting seen on newer frames.

A bit heavy for the typical trails in the Bay Area, and the stock components aren't that hot. But I can't complain about either - given how cheap this was off craigslist (plus how inexpensive these old coilers/coilairs can be had by anyone looking on ebay or craigslist) and how durable and versatile it is, the components can be changed as needed, and you'll just have to get into better shape to peddle this around the hills.

Fantastic value/bang-for-the-buck. The old coilers (or coilairs if you add an air-shock) are tremendous bargains. Being a forty-something year old dad with kids, college and expenses hanging over my head, I'm loathe to spend $2-$3k on a bike, especially one that I may have second thoughts about beating the snot out of at Northstar or similarly rough endeavors. This thing is built burly, but not so much that I can't take it out on a spin at China Camp or Annadel without having a heart attack. And its ok with me armoring up, throwing the full-face helmet on and attacking cinderella or chapparel if I'm in the mood to break an arm and/or leg. I figure I'll ride this until I break it, which will probably be never, and then I may pick up a used nomad, enduro or reign frame and go from there.

Similar Products Used: Rode a hardtail Shred for awhile, which was fun and actually shares a lot of the same traits with these old coiler frames; then a Large Bullit, which was too long for me and I never felt settled in it (plus it was crazy heavy for anything except a bike park); demoed Blur lt2, Stumpjumper and Camber. The Camber was too twitchy, the LT2 and Stumpjumper are incredible, but also felt a little light in the rougher stuff, plus the price tag for those are fairly steep.
peterhallwood   Weekend Warrior [Nov 06, 2011]
Strength:

Very user friendly, this bike rocks! I bought this off craigslist, made NO adjustments and dug right in. I'm 6' 200lbs and pound bikes. This bike is bullet proof, I am dropping 6' on down gapping 5' spans and if you know what you're doing this bike is ready and willing. LOVE IT!~ cant wait to upgrade a few components and then the bike will win.

NONE!

Kona nailed it. The bike says, "Bring it!", and it's all business. Know your ride and this can do it all for you, feather between trees, roll over stumps and roots, dig into berms, launch off of step offs and table tops, roll off the drops, bring it it's got ya!

Similar Products Used: Trek's "Y" series
rohanday1   Weekend Warrior [Jun 19, 2010]
Strength:

dhx4 shock v plush , not too heavy for strength of bike , very agile and reliable, very confidence inspiring on the downhills and drops

pain in the arse seat clamp , quick release catches on rocker when it bottoms out so i have to stick with an allen key adjuster for now

could have done with a medium frame i think now an im only 5.8 , an rear shock bottoms out too easy ,needs a stiffer spring nice all rounder though an very enjoyable on a budget,,oy yeah the seat post size is a pain in the arse to buy no one makes nice ones to fit !!!

Similar Products Used: cannondale super v400 runnin bombers etc , not the same at all realy lol
GrampBredo   Weekend Warrior [Mar 03, 2010]
Strength:

Squishy, comfy ride. Very capable, the handling is stable and confident on sketchy trails. Simple suspension and frame design that is tough to kill and easy to maintain.

Heavy as heck, my bike ('06 Garbanzo Coiler) weighs about 42 pounds.

It's a good bike for heavy-duty All Mountain and entry-level DH/FR. It's a little bit heavy, but pedals well enough to get you up moderate hills.

Similar Products Used: Old Cannondale "Uber-V," or a Super V with 6" of travel on both ends.
Jimmythekiwi   Downhiller [Jan 23, 2010]
Strength:

Very strong frame. Still taking the abuse after 3 years. Still using the stock brakes.

Stock parts, have had to replace almost every component on the bike within the first year. Very basic set-up and could use a piggyback type shock. Saddle is extremely sore after a short period of time.

Bulletproof frame,I will break before it does and will hopefully last me ages. Stock components aren't so great and will break as soon as you start using the bike properly. Would recommend changing the dérailleurs and installing a chain guide, getting some stronger rims and hubs, and slowing down the rebound on the forks, to make your time on the trails more relaxing I. E. not worrying about whether your bike will cope with the gnarly drops, and just doing it. The bike is a great trail bike that you can take to downhill events or cruise around in the streets. .

felix420   Downhiller [Dec 16, 2009]
Strength:

Very durable. Got stock vanilla r shox w/ 700# spring. Never bottoms out.

None so far!

I wanted a freeride bike on a budget. Heard a lot of good things about coilers, but the components sucked. I bought the frame w/shox, and customized the bike the way I wanted.
I've been doing urban freeride as well as DH/FR. This bike is very strong. Been doing 4' to 6' drops and doesn't bottom out. Working my way up to a 10' drop. Hopefully it can handle.
I can see myself owning this bike for a long time. So far I haven't had any issues with 6" of travel. When I need more travel, I'll probably upgrade to a stinky.
4 chili's for only having 6" of suspension. The newer coilairs are 7".
If your into freeride, and aren't rich, buy one!

Similar Products Used: 00' Schwinn 4 Banger
ride.like.u.got.a.pair   Downhiller [Sep 24, 2009]
Strength:

the Coiler handles very well, extremely agile and the rear suspension is very active.
the frame is burly the rear triangle has very minimal flex.

none that I have found yet.
initially I had to modify the bottom shock bolt to enlarge it to a 8mm since it comes stock with a 6mm and I didnt feel that was strong enough. simple enough and not really a weakness, more of a design flaw.

ok, I wanted a bike that I could pedal around but still be able to pin on the downhills. this seemed hard to achieve taking into cosideration that I have a bad habbit of beating the crap out of my bikes.
the way I set up the Coiler suspension and the strength of the components I used, proved to be an excellent choice.
bottom line, if you take the time to put a decent front suspension on this bike, the Coiler will be an excellent choice for all levels of riding; beginer to expert.
I have so much fun ridign this bike!!!!
if you do get a Coiler, make sure you put a Marzocchi 55 ATA on it (160mm).

Similar Products Used: 09 Stinky Air, Intense M3, Turner Highline, 05 Specialized Big Hit FSR, and many more
ajd245246   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2009]
Strength:

Tough, durable, if you take care of it, it will take care of you. After owning it for a year I still haven't come across anything I can't hit. Love the rear fox ajustable shock. Hydrolic disk brakes! You will never appreciate them until you have them.

I guess if you want to get technical I could call out the front derailler. That was the only thing i had to get fixed at a bike shop all year. Also i would have liked a quick release front hub, it doesn't make sense that they would have it in the back and not the front.

I got the bike for a huge discount, it was a 2007 model which I purchased in August of 2008 (used). And I got it for 1200, and i believe the retail price was 1750. Plus the bike was pretty much brand new with no problems, just a stratch here and there but thats normal, THE BOTTOM LINE, I love this bike, you can ride alittle bit of everything from XC to light downhill. I got this as my entry level bike and now theres nothing im afraid to jump or bomb. If you're a beginner or an expierenced biker this will take care of your needs.