Kona Coilair Freeride Full Suspension

Thanks to the intuitive adaptability of Kona Magic Link Active Geometry, no other bike goes up this fast and down this quick. With the ability to provide the rider with a wide range of on-trail, no-switch-necessary geometry and suspension tuning, the CoilAir climbs both comfortably and efficiently but at the drop of a hammer taps into 200mm of progressive and plush rear travel. It's the ultimate quiver killer, designed to crush big up and big down-all you have to do is ride.

• Fox 36 180 Talas tapered fork
  • SRAM 10-speed
  • Avid Code R brakes
  • Easton Vice wheelset

• User Reviews (21)

naga_trailer   [Apr 27, 2012]
    Strength:

over-all, fine bike.

i notice once weakness, though. the bracket connecting the rear suspension to the tail is susceptible to crack. after a few trail runs here in the Philippines, i found some cracks which of course could be potentially fatal. i was disappointed because i don't do jumps; i just rode it on some off-road trails. i thought it was a factory defect, but then, i noticed again the same weakness in the replacement i received. if Kona could only strengthen the bracket against metal fatigue, then i would really, really recommend it to every trail rider i know. but as of now, with that weak crack-susceptible bracket, death could literally be just around the next trail corner. scary.

weak rear suspension bracket: cracks easily.

I G   Weekend Warrior [Jan 14, 2012]
    Strength:

Suspension soaks up anything you throw at it. Very reliable and sturdy. Still easy in the uphills. I like all the included components

I bought this at the end of the season and saved about $1100 off the 2012s price. I dig it.

jesseliketoride   Weekend Warrior [Dec 14, 2011]
    Strength:

FUN, pedals well once set up, Fun on the downs, great in the technical gnarly bits. Looks freaking awesome.

Takes more time to set up the rear suspension (but it's worth it!)

Fun bike, Pedals well for it's travel, Climbs technical stuff pretty darn well, A blast on the downs, very fast bike.

The magic link takes time to set up, thats the only draw back. Once set up properly it does it thing without you noticing it. Keep it clean and it stays pretty silent (I am picky about that).

Similar Products Used: 2009 Coilair, 06-04 Norco Six, 03 Norco Fluid3, Cromo rigid!
    Arnon   Downhiller [Feb 03, 2010]
    Strength:

versatile - great climber .

For all around bike the frame( and only the frame) is great anywhere from XE to DH though heavy at 17KG
    BUT
    other than the frame the stock parts are of the lowest quality
    Crank supplied ( FSA MOTO X) is a real bad joke , suited better for girl's beach cruiser than AM/FR bikes
    the rims supplied are really xc rims will not withstand drops of over 3 ft( remember this bike is supposedly AM/FR
    The brakes are a compromise and parts from the local shimano are not available ( always the same song and dance when it comes to OEM parts
    The fork ( MAR 55 TST )is most definitely not for F/R use
    in one year I had gone through 3 blown TST cartridges

Buy the frame only and build your own bike

Diblaggio   Downhiller [Jan 03, 2010]
    Strength:

Great strength coming from Kona. The fork and rear shock (Fox) have never let me down. I have done some crazy drops, jumps, and pushed myself to the limit- the bike never failed (i did a few times though). All components on this bike are good, and tune ups are a breeze. Kona's rear suspension has changed the way I ride. This color bike definitely opens eyes at the trails. I still get compliments and offers while I ride.

It is a bit on the heavy side, but this was never a problem for me. I actually get better control of my bike this way. The rear shock system kona developed would compress down while riding through some minor obstacles- I think kona fixed that problem with their newer bikes. all i did was adjust my pressure and adjst the rebound and whala' blast through...

I have gotten offers from 1800-2500. and I still have it. It is the bike that built my aggressive riding skills and it boosted my self confidence levels. I have won 3 Tournaments with this bike, and landed top 3 in 7. Overall a great bike, and the looks still get those eyes poppin'....

Similar Products Used: Cannondales, Giants, Stinky :) Other Coil Air Supreme (Currently)
    tobygoodger   Weekend Warrior [Nov 26, 2009]
    Strength:

light, tough, plush suspension, reliable,high spec, good value, pedals well, jumps well, corners well, durable, could go on for ever, great all round bikes.

not much at all: pedals are heavy,struggles with big jumps but its a light freeride bike so thats no biggy. i have had it for a year and no problems, and i have ridden it hard, i havnt replaced a thing, not even brake pads or grips. nto that stiff, stock could be lighter.

awsome bike, has inspired alot of confidence, get it!
    great value for money.

Similar Products Used: iron horse sunday, demo 7, orange dh
    neonwinter   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2009]
    Strength:

Great all around trail bike with decent DH and XC capabilities.

A little heavy I guess, keep up with the $3000+ XC specifics some of my friends ride anyway.

This bike is awesome. I've had almost a dozen in the last ten years and this is by far the most versatile.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR, GT i-Drive circa 2000, Mongoose Tecolai, KHS FR2000, Haro Zero
    NW Guy   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2009]
    Strength:

Great all around Mt Bike ride

Extremely unreliable. Front wheel spokes were not very tight, had to have fixed - poor quality control. Rear Fox shock won't hold pressure - is in shop for repair!! Front suspension is now locked up because the shock has leaked.
    They are tellin us it will take a month to fix and we pay for part of the repair!!! Had for only ten months, so warrantee will cover most of it, but.... Has not been ridden that hard

Don't buy this bike until they improve their quality control.

Similar Products Used: Kana Kula, Specialized Stump Jumper
    James Richey   Weekend Warrior [May 11, 2008]
    Strength:

A good climber, absorbs all the bumps, smooth and makes you feel in control at all times! I go faster and enjoy the trails way more than my favorite old bike.

Weight

As my friend Doug said yesterday, "with this bike, I won't be waiting for you anymore". Even though it weighs more than my DBR cross country set up, I have more control, and am willing to try and enjoy things that I would not have before.