Knolly V Tach Freeride Full Suspension

The V-tach frame is designed to be a solid chassis for building up an aggressive freeride bike. Its unconventional design is actually a combination of innovative features seamlessly meshed with proven bicycle technology. This is NOT a longer travel trail bike or a shortened DH bike. Every design and manufacturing aspect of the V-tach frame is based on building the highest performing aggressive freeriding frame available.

dat boy   Racer [Oct 25, 2017]
Strength:

retumbo

retumbo

absolutly gay

tbone999   [Apr 19, 2015]
Strength:

Super strong, peddles awesome, best bike I've ever owned by a long shoot. Makes me a better ride!!

It's not as sexy as the podium

True do it all free ride bike, they don't make them like this anymore. Most people have two bikes to cover the range that this does.

Prof.Baltazar   Weekend Warrior [May 22, 2011]
Strength:

Build quality, stiff, adjustable geometry and wheel base

Heavy, a bit "unbalanced", price

Great frame. Solid build. Pedals great even if it is a bit heavy. Seat post angle makes for å XC like possition when fully extended.

When in air, the bike feels like it want to "dive", and is a bit heavy at the front

Similar Products Used: SC Bullit, SC Nomad, Lapierre DH
treebasher   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2009]
Strength:

***Build quality***, adjustable geometry, super stiff, slack seat tube angle (see below), super tough, and a comfortable bike to climb with! Customer service direct from the guys at Knolly (Noel et al) is great - very unusual to be able to talk directly to the owners for advice.

hard to clean! Mud builds up quickly around BB area, and the anodized black is very hard to clean! The other weakness is my fault - I put a 66 ATA on this frame... big mistake on my part! Frame weight is NOT a detractor - pedalling efficiency and fore-aft balance makes this bike feel much lighter than most.

I chose the V-Tach over the Delirium T for the added strength, and I haven't looked back once. This bike pedals uphill freakishly well for being 43 pounds! This is my 'one bike does all' - despite the weight, I pedal this (easily) up most DH trails I come down. I've landed stunts I probably shouldn't have tried, so this bike definitely is a confidence booster. It's got great stability, adjustable HA and chainstay length, and is very strong - when it occasionally lands a jump without me, I know it's still intact. The slack seat tube angle is an excellent design feature - when you're climbing the reach is perfect, and when you're descending, the seat is forward and out of your way. Easily my favourite bike to-date. I've only had this bike 3 months, but it's relatively high cost is justifiable and well worth it!

Similar Products Used: Demo 8, Bullet, Wilson, A-Line, etc. (lots)
Jack Gold-Molina   Downhiller [Dec 11, 2008]
Strength:

Solid, agile, fast, stiff, adjustable head angle and chain stays, it's really versatile, and this baby can climb. Stability is a rare thing in a relationship.

None...everything can be adjusted, even the weight!

Confidence inspiring is how I would describe this bike -- that and stiff, agile, versatile, and fast. Maybe awe-inspiring is a better description.

My first day on this bike was my first day ever on a downhill bike, and of course, I took it to Whistler. Yeah, okay, I warmed up on B-Line for a couple of runs. I was a little reluctant about hitting the trails too hard on my first day because I wasn't totally confident and it was all pretty new to me. So, then I ran into a guy from my neighborhood and we took the Garbanzo lift and rode our brains out down O-Sin, Freight Train, Dirt Merchant and A-Line...in thick fog, rain and mud! I will NEVER forget my first time riding that step-up next to the O-Sin hip at high speed in fog so thick you could barely even see it from the top of the run.

The thing is, I had never ridden these trails at any kind of speed before, and my first day on this bike it felt like I had been born riding them. The bike felt so good to ride I couldn't get enough, and it haunted me.

After a few more days like that in Whistler, including an incredible two-day Richey Schley clinic, I took it home and started riding with the Fluidride camps. Oh man...! I steepened up the head angle a bit and shortened the chain stays so that I could experiment with the feel of the bike, so it wasn't quite as fast riding with Simon Lawton and company as it was in Whistler, but it was very agile while still being quick on some very technical downhill trails. I believe that this bike could smoke on a race course, so that is where I am going next.

I have read and been told great things about the Knolly V Tach. It feels great to be able to confirm them for myself. As to whether or not you should buy one, well, the path is yours, Grasshopper.

Alex   Downhiller [Sep 10, 2007]
Strength:

Great descender. Nimble and still very stable. Massive durability. Reliable and confidence-inspiring under all conditions.

Durability and reliability might weigh a little more than something built on dreams and fireroads.

The best freeride bike ever. Confidence-inspiring under all conditions. Durable beyond words. Amazingly nimble considering how stable it is at speed. Boutique-level price, but hey, you get what you pay for.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz VP Free, Specialized Enduro, Specialized SX Trail, Turner RFX, Specialized Big Hit DH
Trevor   Downhiller [Aug 30, 2007]
Strength:

Too many to list, but I'll try:
- perfect cable routing guides (seen too many bikes where this is overlooked)
- full seat tube is wicked in the winter (no telescoping post)
- 150x12 axle and burly rear-end design makes for super stiff rear end (Knolly uses better quality and bigger bearings than almost any bike company). the rear end on the V-Tach looks and feels more solid than pretty much anything I've ever seen or ridden.
- with 7.5" of rear travel, this bike can still do all-day rides if you're a little crazy or your smaller bikes are broken (like pedalling all 3 North Shore mountains in the Triple Crown Ripper) but still have enough travel to hit bigger drops and flow chundery rocky freeride/DH lines with speed and confidence
- adjustable chainstays (17.0" to 17.8") change the bike's handling from slow-speed tech/climbing friendly to more DH-style angles in only a minute.
- adjustable head angle nice touch to allow a more climbing-friendly or more DH-friendly angles, depending on what you're riding that day (this bike can run a granny ring)
- beefy replaceable dropouts and super-thick derailleur hanger are very tough, plus cheap in the unlikely event you need a new one
- ISCG chainguide mounts and e-type derailleur allow for setup of solid dual-ring chainguide if so desired
- Knolly's 4x4 linkage seems to put very little stress on rear shocks and bushings -- shock bushings ("DU"s) seem to last forever on these bikes

- decals could be more durable
- frame weight could be an issue for very very light riders (around 12.5lbs with coil)
- not the cheapest bike out there, but you're gonna have to pay more to get a bike this good
- the Delirium is only 1" less rear travel, but saves around 2 lbs of frame weight and is a little cheaper ... unless you really go fast or send it large, you may want to consider the Delirium if you plan to do any really huge pedalling on the bike

You can definitely pedal this thing all day and because it pedals so efficiently (and can take a granny ring), you can still keep up with people on smaller rigs. But then when you point it downhill you've got a freeride bike to smooth out any chundery sections or nasty drops. It's a little uncanny to ride this bike as it seems to have almost 2 personalities. Because of the rear end stiffness, the bike stays plush and is super quiet even when doing nasty things like landing sideways into gnar/rocks.

The adjustable head angle and chainstays are a very nice touch and like the Delirium, they really alter the ride so that you can dial things in for some old-school tech North Shore riding or some Bike Park action.

This is a wicked Freeride bike, or as I'd call it, a "big trail bike". Noel of Knolly has thought of absolutely everything, just look at the only things I could up with as downsides. If this is more bike than you need at 7.5", you should check out the Knolly Delirium-T... :)

Mark Spratt   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2007]
Strength:

I'm 6'1" and the large fits me perfectly. Saddle up and it climbs incredibly well, saddle down and it descends even better.
As others have said, it's very laterally stiff and the rear suspension just gets on and does its job.

Err, can I get one in titanium?

I've only owned the bike for 2 months so have had limited time on it but it's spent a week in Alpe d'Huez where I rode the Mega Avalanche on it. That's a pretty pedally course but the V-Tach rode it beautifully.
In the UK I've ridden 50km through mid-Wales including some hefty climbs and kept up with guys on xc bikes, then blew them away on the descents.

Similar Products Used: Banshee Chaparral.
Patrick   [Aug 21, 2007]
Strength:

craftsmanship, engineering, attention to detail, customer service

weight, but that's getting picky

I can echo all of the positive qualities of this bike like the other reviewers have (I've never been more impressed with a bike) but I want to focus on a different aspect of the bike...Noel himself.

When I finally convinced myself to pull the trigger, it was less than 1-week away from our departure to Whistler (about 1 year ago). Noel was very accessible and a great resource in helping me. He would always be upfront with me, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. But the extra mile was when he was able to get me my frame and a number of other parts to me in VERY rushed fashion. (Special thanks here to Larry at MtnHigh as well.) There must've been a million different things to coordinate, but Noel was always willing to go WAY out of his way to help. To me, that speaks volumes of a company. There is no doubt in my mind that I can always get top-shelf customer service from Knolly. Add that to a first-call product...what more could you want! Kudos to you, Noel...

clark   [Aug 20, 2007]
Strength:

high-end fabrication and materials throughout
thoughtful design elements
overbuilt
adjustable head angle and chainstay length
massive lateral stiffness
very active suspension
neutral pedaling and braking
pedals like its 5 pounds lighter than it is
continuous seat tube
progressive suspension, even throughout travel
customer service (best there is)

expensive, but you get what you pay for
overbuilt, but for most people this is a positive
heavy (again, its built tough and it rides light)

unreal attention to detail and quality manufacturing and materials really set this frame apart in a league of its own. no more worrying about loose or creaky pivots. lateral stiffness is weird at first unless you're used to a scream or demo. rear end tracks exactly where it should. gets more stable the faster you go, but still very manouverable. very sensitive suspension and nicely progressive with a very low leverage ratio. i've ridden many bikes and this is by far my favorite - i've never heard any other knolly owner say anything different. if you ride a lot, this is the last bike you'll buy for a long time.

Similar Products Used: vaguely "similar" bikes are banshee scream, demo 8/9 (ie. overbuilt, heavy, stiff, pedal/brake well)