Iron Horse MK III Comp Freeride Full Suspension

-Crank Bros Candy clipless
-Hayes Hydraulic HFX- 9 brakes w/6" mudcutter rotors
-WTB Speeddisc wheelset

reety   Cross Country Rider [Nov 30, 2010]
Strength:

good frame but needs modifying to make it as good as the designer intended

badly machined parts.I am a cnc machinist and i know whats god and whats not after spending 20+ years making parts for anything from medical to nuclear

top bike now its sorted.evans was no use i took it to them 4 times showing them how the dw-link came loose at the swingarm(rear triangle)and they shortened the pin and locktighted the c/sunk screws in so i decided to machine another link but instead of having the collared bearings just butting up to the ally on the link i made some steel inserts sank them in and re-machined the faces then drilled and tapped through to clamp the small pin that goes through the link.I have no play at all and the flex in the rear wheel has almost gone too.

Similar Products Used: fsr extreme, pace rc230,
Rocket88   Weekend Warrior [Nov 18, 2010]
Strength:

Dual Link susp makes efficient use of power on every part of the trail. No wasted effort at all. Light Frame for 5-6" travel bike with great geometry to get over the rough stuff without banging the BB area or yourself. Susp is plush and Propedal isn't needed due to DW Link. Light enough to keep up with your XC friends with a triple up front.

IronHorse going out of business. Future parts availability. Requires rear wheel with little flex to keep 2.2in and up tires from rubbing inside of rear triangle. Paint job is good, but is thin. Clear protectant tape is needed to keep cables from rubbing thru.

This is a great do-it-all frame that can be fast and light with the right components. Susp and Geometry allow it to clear 5-6ft drop offs without bottoming out or slowing down. Wish more bikes/frames were in this price range with the DW Link. Unless your looking to spend 4-6K on a 6" AM/Trail Bike, u cant go wrong with a used 07-09 MarkIII or 6 Point. Bearing kits are still availabe as well, but an allen wrench set, Q-Tips, and Park 1 grease once in a while will keep them lasting for many years to come.

Really hope whoever bought the company will bring IH back to life.

Similar Products Used: Intense 5.5, G.Fisher
yeahbike   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2010]
Strength:

Great design/geometry
Light when replaced with parts of preference
Great handling
Climbs like a champ thanks to DW Link

Poorly assembled by knuckheads at RS Cycle in Boulder.
Must replace alot of stock parts to make it rideable

Great design and well built frame with a some decent components. Upgrading parts is a must to make it handle nicely. DW Link is awesome.

However, do not purchase it from RS Cycle from Boulder. They are a junk show when it comes to everything about bikes. From assembly to a tune, they can screw up your bike in a heart beat. Forget about warranty parts, they will charge you whatever they can.

ride the biscuit   Weekend Warrior [Apr 16, 2010]
Strength:

amazingly versatile and fun to ride bike. sick tech for a great value. dw link. excellent climber; even better on descents

frame not as stiff as super high end bikes. steep head tube angle makes it shy away but only on really tech terrain and big drops/jumps

bought this as first full suspension after doing a bunch of research, and super happy i got this one. its perfect for the riding i do: singletrack, some fairly technical stuff, small-med jumps/drops, long rides, steep hills. not super concerned with speed, just needed something that i can pedal up really steep hills around the bay area

fist off, getting 5 inches of dw link suspension for this price is awesome. since i bought this bike, I've had the chance to try other suspension designs. none of them have come close to impressing me like the dw link does. also, i recently tried a $5k bike with fairly similar geometry and the dw link suspension. the biggest differences were really the frame stiffness and a few performance improvements because of the high end components, but essentially the mkIII climbed just as good if not better and was really just about as fun to ride.

i will say that i would not feel comfortable on this bike on a lift-accessed bike park. the head tube angle and lack of stiffness make it shy away from the bigger jumps and drops and really steep, really technical terrain. but for everything except the super-gnar, this thing absolutely rips

ive ridden it a TON in the last year, and prety long, hard, rides and i have not had to replace any major parts yet. super durable, awesome, fun bike

Similar Products Used: this is my first full suspension
davy barns   Weekend Warrior [Nov 08, 2009]
Strength:

exelent sus, esp, dw, link,sus handels well, good balanced all rounder for xc and playing with

paint work weak, chips easy, crank spacers missing when bought no toatal lockout on front sus,

first full sus bike iv'e purchased off the shelf ,have no real complaints, has given me a new meaning to bike comfort and handling and reliabilty, look forward to many more bike treks with her

Similar Products Used: none
Daniel May   Weekend Warrior [Oct 02, 2009]
Strength:

Great design. Plush feel. Automatically locks out when pedaling.Comforttable desighn, great downhiller.

POORLY assembled. Missing internal lower bushings on both MK3 frames that I purchased.Rock shock rear is rubbish, stock parts especially BOTH DT Swiss wheeles lasted about 6 months w/horrible flexy Scram cassette..Lower swingarm on frame became loose and clunky ,ovalized where the pin goes through. RS denies the problem and says that the shock bushings are shot.RS had no replacement parts or hardware.

This design is meant to strictly run a shorter stroke shock like the Fox float, not the rock shock rear.Having the rear shock lock out automatically is great because you only have to pay attention to the rear shock from bottoming out and not sag settings. Once I put together my elite frame kit "for $450 including Rear shock", it was a completely different performing bike for the better.I learned to never buy a complete OEM bike ever again. I will propably keep my 2nd mk3 frame for spare hardware parts and try to get a hold of a new lower swingarm from Pacific Bike Supply who bought out Iron Horse.FYI Best bike I have ever ridden.

Similar Products Used: MK3 Elite 08 with fox rear.
Kona King Kikkapoo FS
Kona Muni Mula
Iron horese warrior FS
boostdmustang   Weekend Warrior [May 31, 2009]
Strength:

Lightweight (29.9lbs on my home scale), Nice mid level components from factory, handles like a dream, 130mm travel front / rear.

Iron Horse may be going out of business and a lot of negative press. Not very popular or known in South Florida so hard to get fair opinions.

I was turned on to Iron Horse by a friend of mine who is heavy into stunts and free riding. I am more into aggressive cross country and trail riding, i like to beat the bike up while im out there and she has yet to fail me. What impressed me about this bike was that it weighed in at 30lbs with some pretty BA components for just 1400 to my door. Other bikes i considered were the Trek EX 5.5 and Specialized FSXR. I have read this in many places and its true, riding this bike is like being on rails, she responds to everything i throw at her just as i want it to. I would recommend this bike to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Kona Hardtail, Trek Hardtail (can't remember models)
jvinet   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2009]
Strength:

Most nimble and effecient 5" travel bike I've ridden. The MK corners like it's on rails and climbs like it's powered with a combustion engine.

Haven't found one

I'd recommend this bike to anyone under 175 lbs who wants a quick, relatively light 5" ride. MK is quick and efficient on the climbs, stable on the downs and excellent in transitions and technical terrain. You want a relatively inexpensive DW line machine, this is your XC ride!

Similar Products Used: Iron Horse Azure, Rocky Mountain ETSX, Blur LT, Titus Moto-lite
kghag   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2008]
Strength:

plush ride for how efficient it climbs

finish

Since these are still available figured I would post a follow up.
Been riding it for a year now, all over the west. Its the best all around mtb I have ridden in 20+ yrs of mtb'ing. Its an amazing suspension design (theres a really good reason why Turner switched to the DW). Climbs better than my 3.5" xc full suss even though its considerably heaver. Initially tried to run with a standard axle/QR skewer set up. Bad idea, the swingarm flexed so much even a 2.1 tire would rub the chainstay. Went to a 10mm thru axle (like it came with) and no more flex. Occasionally have to tighten the pivot bolts, which can be a pain since you have to remove the crank/chainrings to get to one of em. But I count that as regular maintenance, so no big deal.

Short of lift accessed runs and freeriding, this bike can handle it all. Buy one if you want an incredibly versatile mtb (and dont want/cant splash for a turner, pivot or ibis). At this point in time I will only ride/buy/recommend DW link bikes. Get one before they are gone (09 will be the last model year IH sells DW link bikes).

Similar Products Used: too many
linkiswickeddank   Weekend Warrior [Sep 14, 2008]
Strength:

-Plush
-Light
-Good spec
-Suspension does work really really well

-I'm worried about it being not burly enough. No issue so far, but I do tend to ride my bikes rather hard
-Seat is really uncomfortable

This review is for the 2008 Iron Horse MKIII Comp:

The bike feels great. I got it about two weeks ago, and feel like I have gotten a bit of a feel for the bike.
First trip, I took the bike to the carriage roads in Acadia National Park. Basically dirt covered street riding. It was fine there though, just putting it through it's paces

Next, to Middlesex Fells, which is an hour long XC loop that has some decent ups and downs. The bike was a champ though. It cruised up hills, and the bike dominated the descents.

Then, I took the bike to Highland Mountain Bike Park in NH. Some sick downhilling, and definitely pushed the bike HARD. I didn't do any of the jumps as I didn't bring any armor or full face, so I don't know how well it flies yet. Anyways, the bike did fine, but definitely got thrown around a bit under me on these trails. That said, it handled these the trails quite well.

So, after 3 different sets of riding places, I can say that this bike is a solid solid ride. I probably won't take it back to Highland, as it just get's thrown around there, but if I was on a trail that involved that level of technical terrain, I am confident the bike will handle it.

The bike outclasses my I-Drive like whoa. The idrive was a great bike, no mistake, definitely my favorite bike before this one. But the travel feels much more effective, it seems like it will not creak as much (farkin eccentric drive has not been happy since I took it to Whistler). The bike will stay in my selection for years as my new favorite trail bike. I won't be buying any bike with less travel, but I might be getting a stronger DH/FR bike for lift mountain.

Quick review of RScycle: Very solid. My bike arrived in 8 days from when I ordered. Including building. That's fast.
People were nice, and I called a few times. Also picked up quickly, and were able to help everytime. One issue I had, was that I ordered a set of flat pedals along with the bike, and they ended up not getting shipped with the bike. No big deal, as I called, and they refunded me immediately. That call was about 3 minutes total, which is fantastic. Very apologetic as well. Also offered to ship them to me, but I needed them when I got the bike, so I picked them up at LBS.
of note, the price has gone up 100$ since I bought it.

Bottom line: If I only had space for one bike, only had money for one bike, had to choose one bike to ride, this would be it. A fantastic well-rounded product, that I am ultimately really really happy about purchasing.